Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

Itโ€™s May, Hurray! ๐ŸŒธ We are almost 1/2-way through this yearโ€™s challenge๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿผ

tenor

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’— Post as frequently or infrequently as you would like, with or without following the challenge. We love hearing about every masking experience, and suggestions are always welcome. 

This Weekโ€™s Theme: Masks that Make You Hungry ๐Ÿ˜‹Is it the scent..or the packaging? Which masks make you crave a yummy treat? It is no surprise that this weekโ€™s delicious theme is brought to you by none other than @itsfi! ๐Ÿ‰๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฉ๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿต

Letter of the Week:  U

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 8.35.49 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-11-03 at 8.34.43 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-11-03 at 10.02.51 AM.png

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, if it's an exfoliating mask (include acid info if known), your overall experience, and whether or not you would repurchase. Don't forget to include a grade (thanks to @ShortErica for the idea) to help others along the way.

Most importantly, have fun and merry masking!

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge

@WinglessOne piling is so annoying ๐Ÿค

@WinglessOne  Well it's too bad about the pilling, but otherwise sounds like a wonderful mask! Glad you enjoyed it! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Yeah i think I had the pilling too @WinglessOne it wasn't to bad but I saved this mask after a hot beach day. I never had it happen before so I had to think about what was happening ๐Ÿ˜ but I also used the extra goodness. Maybe next time I wouldn't put so much on my face & just use it on the rest of my body. The legs would take up alot. ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ–๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’š

M is for myrrh (sheet mask) and moisturizing (lip balm and actually the sheet mask, too)
N is for nighttime (sleeping mask)
Myrrh.jpeg

Sheet Mask:
Spoiler
The packaging on the sheet mask appears to have misprint. The package  says "Detoxifying" but the websites for the brand itself as well as the other online stores that carry this mask say that it's "Deep Moisturizing" and the results of more supportive of that than any detoxifying claims.

The sheet material on the Inna Organic Myrrh Deep Moisturizing Facial Mask is  Bemliese (100% cotton made in Japan), which is ultra-soft and very thin and could be very nice for those with sensitive skin (barring any allergies or sensitivities to the ingredients). The mask is saturated in a lightly viscous essence that feels ever-so-slightly gel-like and has a scent that is part woodsy, part medicinal, and part herbaceous but not grassy. it lingered too and I have to say it's not a scent I was very fond of. I much prefer the scent on the frankincense sheet mask from this Taiwanese brand. 

I removed the mask after the recommended 10 minutes and while I can't say that my skin looked and felt detoxified, I did notice that my skin felt moisturized after the slight tacky-to-the-touch feeling dissipated. Overall, this is a nice mask but since the scent wasn't to my liking, it's not one I will repurchase.

Ingredients (from innaorganic (dot) us๐Ÿ˜ž
Spoiler
Demineralized Water, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice*, Glycerin, Propanediol, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Water*, Cupressus sempervirens Leaf Water*, Polyglyceryl-4 Caprate, Betaine, Sodium Levulinate, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Sodium Anisate, Olea Europaea(Olive) Leaf Extract, Salvia Sclarea(Clary) Extract*, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Hyaluronate, Linum Usitatissimum(Linseed) Seed Extract, Citric Acid, Commiphora Myrrha Oil*, Lavendula Angustifolia Oil*, Salvia sclarea(Clary) Oil*, Pogostemon cablin Oil*, Aloe barbadensis leaf extract, Bioflavonoids, Brassica Oleracea Italica(Broccoli) Extract

*Ingredients from organic farming.
Sleeping Mask:
Spoiler
Laneige Water Sleeping Mask has sentimental value to me; it was the first sleeping mask I tried. It's good for an extra dose of hydration and in the warmer months, I tend to apply it only to the parts of my face where I'm drier and leave the oilier parts alone. It takes forever to finish a full size of these sleeping mask so the mini / travel sizes are more to my liking, at least for this original version (the cica version is one I have and will continue to purchase in the full size, once I've gone through that one). This is a fine enough mask. It hydrates my skin overnight and for someone with dehydrated-combo skin, that's a good thing. With all the sleeping masks out there nowadays, there's just so many options and, while there's nothing wrong with this mask, it's not necessarily a standout for me among the sleeping masks that I've used. 
Bioderma Atoderm Ultra-Moisturizing Lip Balm is one of my all around favorite products. I received this as a gift from the wonderful @missjeanie - this balm is definitely TLC for the lips and is going to come in real hand this winter. Thank you so much for sending this one my way! ๐Ÿค—  Facial rollers like this one make for a nice for a little TLC for the face - not only to massage the essence from a sheet mask into the skin but it's been helpful with easing tension in the facial muscles when I have a lot going on and may be stressed. Huge thanks to the amazing @heartsmyface for gifting this one to me. It's worked really well on so many occasions! A handy dandy tool year round! ๐Ÿ˜Š

@itsfi  I haven't come across a misprint like that before! I agree with @quspork, I feel like there's a big difference between detoxifying and deep moisturizing! ๐Ÿค” Glad it turned out decent and could at least moisturize! 

Yeah, this was a first for me too @Shosh85. ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ I went to check the other masks from the brand that I have and compared them to the brandโ€™s site and everything else is in order. 

That's an interesting misprint, @itsfi - there's such a huge difference in my mind behind a detoxifying mask and a moisturizing one!

@quspork, I didnโ€™t think it was a misprint initially because itโ€™s not uncommon for sheet masks to be hydrating and for me to not necessarily see the detoxifying effects after one use. I realized it was a misprint when I was looking for the ingredients to reference and I noticed the page for it said โ€œdeep moisturizingโ€. ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ 

My masks I got from Sephora today. I haven't tried any of these yet. I can't wait! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ’•

I'm so glad that Sephora Collection is replacing some of their masks with CLEAN versions. ๐Ÿ’š

120040307_358357008539200_4122265778967331161_n.jpg

Hope you enjoy your masks @rosegoldlovely! Just wanted to let you know that "Clean" is just a marketing term and there is no set standard. For instance, many of Sephora's "Clean" products contain fragrance which can irritate skin. The concept of having an easy system is great but it's better to look at ingredients in each product.

@rosegoldlovely  Nice! I hope you have fun trying all these out! I've tried a few of the Shake & Shots and I think they're pretty entertaining! If I do decide to do a modeling/rubber mask, I actually like these best - they're easier to mix and a little less messy than most! ๐Ÿ˜‰ I'll be looking forward to hearing your thought on these! 

@rosegoldlovely looking forward to hearing your thoughts on these! Some are definitely better than others, depending on your skin type. The modeling masks are fun for sure๐Ÿ˜Š

@eshoe so far, I used the Sephora Peeling mask and it was very nice. It made my skin feel smooth and soft and matte. The Hemp mask was a disappointment. It didn't mattify my face at all. It had an interesting look though. I'm typing up a formal review for the SEPHORA COLLECTION Clean Hemp Mask 1 Mask. It'll take about 8 hours for it to get approved and uploaded. I already did a review for the SEPHORA COLLECTION Clean Peeling Mask 1 Mask, a day or two ago.

RE: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

D is for Disco!! Honestly this mask works for the letter and theme. Itโ€™s Too Faced Glow Job. Itโ€™s a peel off with so much glitter I looked awesome with it on. Couldnโ€™t get a good image, but the container will have to do. I love peel offs my skin always looks so much better and brighter. I think I got this in a sub box from somewhere. Looove it: smells like artificial fruit imor berries. It was a blast to use. Sooooo much glitter my hands are still sparkling.

Re: RE: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

@Weetart  Glad you loved this one! It definitely looks pretty! Was your face glittery after removing the mask?

Re: RE: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

So sparkly, @Weetart!! That seems like it would be fun to use. Similar energy to the GLAMGLOW GLAMGLOW X MY LITTLE PONY #GLITTERMASK GRAVITYMUDโ„ข Firming Treatment Mask Purple Glitter ones.

RE: Re: RE: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

I was wondering about that one. I was tempted but I never caught it on sale or as an ispy addon @haleyvvvv

Re: RE: Re: RE: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

The regular one is much better, @Weetart. I got the purple one half off, and it was definitely pretty and fun but not worth it for the effects.

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

C = collagen, an ingredient Iโ€™m still not convinced does much when applied topically (vs. consumed orally), but here we are with the JayJun Collagen Skin Fit Mask. 

Used this on top of AHA, BHA, and retinol tonight.Used this on top of AHA, BHA, and retinol tonight.

Notes: 

Spoiler

Claims: Hydrates skin; improves elasticity and firmness; reverses dullness. 

Ingredients: I chose this mask more for its ginseng than collagen, along with the high listing of niacinamide. Iโ€™m not impressed by the presence of anise (in the essence) and mistletoe (in the mask), as both can irritate skin. But I do like that ginseng and niacinamide are listed higher than both of those in these lists. I always love to see sodium hyaluronate, and there are other wonderful dry skin extras like calcium pantothenate (the salt form of vitamin B5), urea, a ceramide, squalane, imperata cylindrica root, and trehalose. Also, the essence step contains a stable form of vitamin C. 

Spoiler

Step 1 Essence: Water, Methylpropanediol, Glycerin, Niacinamide, Panax Ginseng Callus Culture Extract, Illicium Verum (Anise) Fruit Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sea Water, Allantoin, Betaine, Calcium Pantothenate, Beta-Glucan, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Pyridoxine HCL, Tocopheryl Acetate, 1,2-Hexanediol, Hydroxyethyl Urea, Butylene Glycol, Caprylyl Glycol, Carbomer, Tromethamine, Glyceryl Polyacrylate, PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Adenosine, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Starch Octenylsuccinate, Maltodextrin, Ethylhexylglycerin, Silica, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance 

Step 2 Mask: Water, Methylpropanediol, Glycerin, 1,2-Hexanediol, Niacinamide, Panax Ginseng Callus Culture Extract, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Sodium Hyaluronate, Ceramide NP, Squalane, Saccharomyces/Viscum Album (Mistletoe) Ferment Extract, Lactobacillus/Soybean Ferment Extract, Saccharomyces/Imperata Cylindrica Root Ferment Extract, Trehalose, Betaine, Allantoin, Butylene Glycol, PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Carbomer, Tromethamine, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Adenosine, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Diethoxyethyl Succinate, Disodium EDTA, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Phospholipids, Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance 

Performance: The hyaluronic acid essence was a very thick clear gel, almost a jelly texture. There was so much, I couldโ€™ve easily used just 1/3 of the packet. But I used the whole thing and would up applying to to my neck, chest, shoulders, hands, and wrists. The sheet mask serum was a thinner gel; there was enough of it left behind in the step 2 sleeve to cover my neck and chest. 

This mask uses a very thin and soft cupra sheet that just needed a bit of snipping at the eyeholesโ€™ inner corners and mouth hole corners for a good fit. The nose was too long but I folded it up rather than trim it shorter. There was a warm floral scent that wasnโ€™t strong enough to make me sneeze, but was present throughout the 40 minute wear time. It took a good 3 minutes to massage and press all residual serum into my skin, leaving no pilling but quite a bit of tack. 

Results: Glowy, plumply hydrated, and moisturized skin with a mild brightness. All the deep lines under my eyes were softenedโ€”still visible of course, but softer looking due to plumped up skin. Thanks largely (I assume) to the squalane and ceramide in the mask serum, my skin said โ€œpsh, we donโ€™t need a moisturizer on top of this!โ€ But I wanted to tame the tack, so I applied a very thin layer of Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Body Lotion everywhere Iโ€™d applied the mask serum. 

This is definitely a cold weather mask. Maybe also one for very dry climates, or for folks with a full face of very dry skin. My oily zone wasnโ€™t so sure about it while I was massaging in residual serum, so I tried to sweep some of the serum off my nose area and onto my dry-zone cheeks. An hour later, my nose seems to think โ€œhuh, that serumโ€™s not so swampy after all,โ€ and my cheeks are super plush and happy. 

Iโ€™m pretty sure Iโ€™d used this mask before, but apparently itโ€™d been a while because I couldnโ€™t remember how my skin felt about it. Now Iโ€™m glad I have a box of these to use this winter. 

@WinglessOne This one had me intrigued when I saw the word collagen.  Great info

@WinglessOne I need to start using more multi step masks, this one sounds like it turned out great

Photos1,727
  • The eye patches I reach for most often.
  • 4DD63543-C124-4765-AED1-6201B2D4B8E9.jpeg
  • I wish my skin loved grapefruit as much as my nose does.
  • Thanks, YesStyle, for marring this packaging with your sticker.
  • 95AA92FC-C259-4A86-9792-D371BF6DE5AE.jpeg
  • EB947FDF-F7F4-4BCA-A209-639327AAE741.jpeg
  • D8DC0C1D-492C-4C5E-9F38-98A3FDDB828F.jpeg
  • papaya.jpg
  • Papayaing.JPG
  • Again with the unfortunate sticker placement.
  • Thank goodness all this info's available at Abib's site, otherwise I'd strain my old lady eyes to death.
  • BubbleMask.jpg
  • Bubble Mask on.jpg
  • Bubbles!.jpg