Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge

The Mahalo mask always sounds nice whenever it pops up, @sonnydee, so I'm glad to hear it worked out well for you too!

Me too! @quspork definitely going to be a good one to add into my routine

Some BIC inspiration, specifically @itsfi who recommended the cherry mask from Eminence (and I do have a sample of that in the stash to get to soon). 

Eminence Pumpkin Latte Mask and Eminence Chocolate Mousse Mask

IMG_20200923_123718.jpg

I started with the Pumpkin Latte mask last weekend and it was a reminder that I really should patch test new products before slathering them on face. I am absolutely terrible about actually doing that! The mask was a thick cream that smelled pretty much how one would expect a mask called "pumpkin latte" to smell. It was a bit sweeter than say the Summer Friday's Overtime mask and certainly more pumpkin than pumpkin spice. This is a wash-off mask that is supposed to add in some hydration. The mask advertises pumpkin pulp which is evident in a few pulpy pieces within the cream and some slight exfoliation with fruit (pineapple) extract. The instructions say to leave on 5-10 minutes and then rinse off. I had it on for maybe two minutes when my skin began to feel really hot. Like uncomfortably hot. I rinsed it off and holy tomato! I was red red red. My skin was warm to the touch and VERY red, like with a bad sunburn. Cue the smothering of aloe all over my face. The warmth and redness both subsided as the day went on, but something here definitely did not agree with my skin, sadly. 

Live and learn- when I tried the Chocolate Mousse mask this week, I did indeed do a small patch test first LOL! This is another wash-off hydration mask that is basically like opening up a can of Betty Crocker's chocolate frosting and smearing it all over your face. It has a thick frosting-like consistency and that's exactly how it smells--- lots of chocoately goodness! It does have a lingering scent so if you're sensitive to scent, this may not be one for you. But for those who don't mind, the chocolate smell was delish. Knowing my reaction to the previous mask, I did wash off pretty much exactly at the 5 minute mark, just in case. I did feel like it was a little difficult to rinse, so I ended up using a washcloth to remove the last bit as it had dried down a touch in a couple of places. Now was it hydrating? Maybe a little. I wouldn't say there were overwhelming results though. So, while I did enjoy trying this one and would be open to trying it again in the future, I don't think I could justify the price tag given lackluster results. 

In helping to calm my skin last weekend after the pumpkin latte disaster, let me also sing the praises of this little guy: Patchology's Soothe Flashmasque

IMG_20200923_123658.jpg

I was somehow out of aloe masks in my stash and wanted something that would be soothing to use the following day, so ended up reaching for this since it does advertise a few soothing ingredients. And so glad I did! This was a really lovely mask. I left it on for longer than the 5 minutes it advertises and it left me with soft, soothed, hydrated skin with no trace of the redness from before. I'll definitely be picking up a few more of these!

I didn't get a chance to try the sample of the chocolate mousse mask before it disappeared from my collection ๐Ÿค” @quspork the results were pretty close to what I felt with the pumpkin latte mask, not as hydrating as I'd hoped but did smell delicious!! So sorry you had reactions to this mask

Oh no, @lmaster - I hope you find your disappearing chocolate mask! It's so funny how some things just seem to have legs of their own sometimes. 

@quspork  Oh no. Iโ€™m sorry pumpkin latte didnโ€™t work for you. Super sad. The patchology mask sounds great! I definitely need to pick some up. Iโ€™ve been having strange reactions on my face lately from just driving home from work... sounds like itโ€™s super soothing. 

I'd definitely recommend checking out the patchology, @ather - hopefully it can help. Skin reactions are just no fun to deal with!

Ohhh, sorry to hear the Eminence masks didnโ€™t work out for you @quspork. ๐Ÿ˜ข Always good to have an aloe or soothing mask on hand. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

The chocolate was at least a nice "spa" experience even if the results weren't the best, @itsfi. I'm happy to take that from time to time, haha!

Good outlook, as always @qusporkโค๏ธ The Eminence products have worked for me but that won't be the case for everyone. Chocolate face mask - it just sounds like it would be a nice experience, especially without the calories. ๐Ÿคฃ

Oh geez, I feel like I have so many aloe masks @quspork. Too bad I couldn't teleport some to you when you needed them. The chocolate mask sounds delicious though disappointing the results weren't worth the price. Hope you figure out what ingredient(s) made your skin angry so you can avoid them.

Aw, thanks. I almost always have aloe masks on hand- there like my basic stash staple, LOL! But somehow, I didn't even notice that I'd run out, @ShortErica - that has since been rectified. 

@quspork Loving the pumpkin mask.  

Ouch @quspork . Sorry to hear of your reaction. The Patchology mask sounds nice. I haven't tried a mask from them that I didn't like.

Same, @emaisgr8 - I've been pretty pleased with all of the patchology ones I've tried so far!

@quspork  Awe, such a bummer! I had planned to try the Pumpkin Latte mask first, so I appreciate the reminder to patch test first! Also noting to myself to check out that Patchology mask! It sounds wonderful and I'm glad it could help calm and soothe!

It's too bad the results from the Chocolate mask weren't too impressive! I had planned to compare that one with the Miss Spa Chocolate mask which sounds pretty similar. I hope the others turn out better for you!

Hopefully, they'll both work out a little better for you @Shosh85. The chocolate mask comparison sounds like a fun one! It's great that they offer these sample sizes to be able to try several different options to see what is worth a full-size purchase and what might not be. 

M is for Mirae, mud mask, and Milk Makeup Melatonin

Mirae (1).jpeg

Papa Recipe Eggplant Clearing Mud Cream Mask and the Milk Makeup Melatonin Lip Mask are repeats from late last week. Both continue to be likes for me, products I would repurchase. @heartsmyface  I did a patch test of the mud mask on my inner arm for 30 minutes and no staining. Same when I left it on my face for 20-ish minutes or so. The purple hue on the mud mask is so pretty and I love that it works without drying my skin and that it doesnโ€™t stain. Yes!! The packaging of the Mirae Extreme Soothing Natural Moisturizing Factor Mask looks so familiar to me, but I feel like this is the first time Iโ€™ve used this mask or any mask from the Taiwanese brand Mirae Beauty, for that matter. Hmmmโ€ฆ. maybe a sign of (still) too many masks. ๐Ÿคฃ If it is my first time using it, then thereโ€™s an N for new. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Mirae Sheet Mask:

Spoiler

This Mirae mask is part of a collection of 3 sheet masks that claims to provide the results one would ordinary get from a traditional 15-20 minute mask in wait for it . . . 8 minutes!! Interesting. Another interesting fact about the masks from this line is that the sheet mask itself is imported from South Korea and the essence/serum is made in Taiwan from globally sourced ingredients. Itโ€™s a cross-cultural sheet mask, if you will. ๐ŸŒŽ

Material / Adherence / Fit

The material itself is super soft and very thin and literally lies against the skin as if thereโ€™s nothing there at all. Fit-wise, thereโ€™s a lot more material than Iโ€™m accustomed to on the sides of my face โ€“ typically a sheet mask is a bit wide at the temples, but here it was also noticeably wider at the middle and lower portions of the side of the mask. A few incisions and adjustments to the bottom inner corner of the eye hole were also needed to make for a perfect fit.

Essence / Performance / Results

I left the mask on for the recommended 8 minutes (though it would have been easy to keep it on for longer because it didnโ€™t feel like I was wearing a sheet mask). Some of the clear, unscented, watery essence remained atop my skin but absorbed easily. I noticed the slightest bit of tack to the touch when I was pressing some of the essence into my skin but that eventually disappears. My skin felt hydrated, even with the short period of time, and thereโ€™s extra essence in the in the packet to layer on your face that day or another day, or to apply on other parts of the body.

Overall Thoughts

I like the feel of the mask and the quick results were nice โ€“ I can see how a mask like this would come in handy on mornings or evenings when my skin could benefit from a little more hydration but when I donโ€™t necessarily have the benefit of time.  Iโ€™m interested in seeing what the results would be if I left the mask on longer than the recommended 8 minutes. *making a note to try that next time. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Ingredients (from miraebeauty (dot) com๐Ÿ˜ž

Spoiler
Water, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Carbomer, Sodium Pca, Imperata Cylindrica Root Extract, Hydroxyethyl Urea, Chlorphenesin Methylparaben, Peg-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Triethanolamine Squalane, Hydrolyzed Caesalpinia Spinosa Gum, Hydrolyzed Hyaluronic Acid, Peg-8, Sodium Hyaluronate, Urea, Phenoxyethanol, Caesalpinia Spinosa Gum, Ethanolamine, Sodium Citrate, Potassium Sorbate, Resveratrol, Citric Acid, Trehalose, Polyquaternium-51

MILK MAKEUP Melatonin Overnight Lip Mask 

@itsfi I love the time frame this mask offers!! That sounds like the amount of time I have to spare around here lately ๐Ÿ˜†

@lmaster, agree! ๐Ÿ‘Š๐Ÿผ While itโ€™s nice to be able to unwind and have a leisurely mask time but these days, getting good, quality results with a shorter wear time helps a lot! As does being able to do things with a mask on and this one is so soft and thin that you can definitely multi-task while masking. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ 

@itsfi  Great choices for M! Iโ€™m always interested in why a company would choose 8 minutes, why not 5 or 10 like where do they come up with 8 minutes and your skin will be perfect. 

testing