Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge

Thank you @ather! Yeah, I'm not for certain where the 8 minutes came from - I'll add it to my list of things to research. ๐Ÿ˜€ It seems a bit random, but at the same time, there's a part of me that wonders whether if there's a marketing angle to it. The number "8" is very popular and deemed auspicious in certain Asian countries, including Taiwan where the brand is based and, perhaps there was some thought that "8" minutes might influence people to purchase the masks from this line??!! 

@itsfi  Love the purple ๐Ÿ’œ These masks that have such a short wear time always interest me! Sounds like it did well in 8 minutes! I definitely feel like you need two - so you can compare an 8 minute wear time to 15-20 minute wear time. If you do end up doing this, I'll be curious to know what you find out! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜‰

Me too @Shosh85! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ I typically see sheet masks with shorter wear time as being part of a daily sheet masking pack, with the idea that itโ€™s meant to provide a quick burst of hydration (or other properties are being touted) that when used consistently over time provides more lasting results or perform better at improving the skinโ€™s hydration / moisture barrier / elasticity / balance, etc. This one was quick and provided some good results. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ  Iโ€™ll definitely use it again but for my usual 30 minute wear time. Will keep you posted! 

Has anyone ever tried any of these Dr. Jart masks? I am thinking about using these.

Dr. Jart+ Shake & Shotโ„ข Rubber Pore Minimizing Mask with Black Bean Pore Minimizing 

Dr. Jart+ Dermask Ultra Jet Peeling Solution Dermask Ultra Jet Peeling Solution 

Dr. Jart+ Cryo Rubberโ„ข Masks 0.14 oz/ 4 g Ampoule + 1.41 oz/ 40 g Rubberโ„ข Mask with Soothing Allantoin 

@rosegoldlovely, I tried the peeling mask a few weeks ago Dr. Jart+ Dermask Ultra Jet Peeling Solution Dermask Ultra Jet Peeling Solution. It was a bit mess that didn't do much more than any other peel mask but did work. But if you search a little back in the thread, my full review with pictures will be there.

I haven't tried any of the new ampules (I hate glass ampules, I have to use them a lot for work and they're annoying to open) for the Dr Jart+ rubber masks, but I do like the texture of the rubber masks themselves. I really liked the older formula of the rubber mask serums, though.

To note, I have normal-dry, sensitive ish skin.

@haleyvvvv I've never used a peel mask before, so I'm very curious. I also did a Google search of their of the Cryo Masks. Apparently there was a Clear Skin and Nourishing Cryo mask. I know that the box design is old, but they discontinued and are sticking to the current 4 they have now. I have acne prone, oily skin. I would've loved to have tried the gray Clear Skin one.

649449-569x569.jpg

61k0oaKUO5L._SL1000_.jpg

I didn't get to try either of these, @rosegoldlovely, just the hydrating and firming ones, which still exist with different packaging and maybe different ingredients.

If you haven't tried a peel mask before, is your skin used to exfoliation? These masks often have higher concentrations of AHAs/BHAs than leave on chemical exfoliators, as well as be physically exfoliating, as this one is. If your skin isn't used to exfoliation, I'd start with a lower % one and work your way up.

@haleyvvvv my skin isn't sensitive at all. I use exfoliators with every face wash and I'm fine. I love using masks at night, while I'm listening to music or watching a video. I don't mask everyday, but I do about 2 or 3 times a week.

Using a wash off exfoliating cleanser and a non exfoliating mask is a lot different, @rosegoldlovely. I've overexfoliated my skin, so I just warn people if they're new to certain exfoliation type products.

@haleyvvvv How will I know if I over exfoliated?

Unlike, @sonnydee, @rosegoldlovely, when I overexfoliated, my skin skipped over being sensitive and went right to moisture barrier disruption. I had to be very delicate for 2+ weeks, no actives, no clearing masks, only hydration and ceramides. Sometimes people's skin gets tight and shiny and sensitive. So I just thought I'd give you a heads up if you were new to peeling masks and exfoliation in general. Hope it works out for you.

Hi, im oily, acne prone myself. For me if I over exfoliated. I either break out easier. Or more common, my face gets sensitive, when my face is usually not sensitive. ie: you use a product that you used before & it stings some in places.  usually the upper cheek area, right under your eye socket. So if i exfoliate with a harsh one- I don't exfoliate again until days later. Also used the peel mask & liked it. It was a gentle peel. And if you shop at Tjmaxx or Marshalls be on the lookout for these masks I have seen & purchased from there. Even found the grey clear skin@rosegoldlovely 

M is for Missha

AC925E7C-63BA-4730-BEE9-473437E6E673.jpeg

Spoiler

Missha Real Solution Hyaluronic Acid Tencel Sheet Mask

This thin tencel sheet mask was drenched with a thin slimy serum and had a light, clean & fresh sort of scent. It had a great fit - just a little too long at the chin/jawline. The adherence was great and it was comfortable to wear the half hour I had it on. When I removed it my face looked and felt refreshed. There was a little tack but it absorbed in about 10 minutes. My skin felt soft and smooth and comfortably hydrated.

This mask turned out great, though it's not one I'd repurchase, due to the alcohol.

ABB4634E-8656-4A8C-90EB-7D8FFCEA43A7.jpeg

@Shosh85 same!!! @itsfi uughhhh why does AD have to be so high up there!?

@lmaster  I know, right?! AD in 4th place is just too much! It's probably the best mask with high alcohol that I've tried though! ๐Ÿ˜‚

Ughhh!!! ๐Ÿ˜ฉ Denatured alcohol!!!! ๐Ÿ˜  Thatโ€™s such a bummer @Shosh85. I think (hope) as more and more brands are sourcing better ingredients that older masks will be reformulated with better for the skin ingredients without losing the effectiveness of the older version. It will be interesting to see how longer standing, popular skincare brands, including Missha respond. Letโ€™s hope a new and even better version of this mask comes out (without bad alcohols). 

@itsfi  I definitely hope more and more brands/companies strive for cleaner, better ingredients! I don't have sensitive skin, so there really isn't a lot of ingredients I try to avoid....... except that dang alcohol! ๐Ÿ˜

Darn about the alcohol, HA is usually good to my skin so I was hoping it was a winner. Glad it gave good results even though it isn't a repurchase @Shosh85 

@ShortErica   Yeah, I'm all for the HA, but I feel like the high AD kinda cancels it out. ๐Ÿ˜ฌ Although, it's  probably the best mask I've tried with that high of alcohol - so that's something ๐Ÿ˜‰

@Shosh85 Great mask.  Sorry about the alcohol.  

@tjffc  Well, they can't all be winners ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿป

testing