Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge

The B+ for the 111skin is actually pretty good, @WinglessOne, I just took price into account and its not worth the sticker price.

Yes, it was canceled for covid reasons, thank you!! 

O = olive and L = cโ€™mon, you didnโ€™t expect me to let an L week pass without a LuLuLun mask. Tonightโ€™s session was the LuLuLun Premium Shodo Island Olive mask. This one's new to me. 

This is one of LLL's single-sheet sleeves.This is one of LLL's single-sheet sleeves.

Earlier tonight I opened a bottle of 2015 Uccelliera Brunello di Montalcino for dinner, so I decided to have a glass while masking. (Yeah, I opened it a few years too soon, but Iโ€™ve got more bottles in storage. If you're a sangiovese fan, this one's fantastic.) I should start sharing what I'm drinking with each mask. It's not always wine. Sometimes it's tea, a homemade smoothie, or flavored water. Other times, it's bourbon or beer. ๐Ÿคฃ If I could get into a morning mask routine, it'd be coffee. 

Brunellos are great partners for tomato-based pasta dishes.Brunellos are great partners for tomato-based pasta dishes.

Notes: 

Spoiler

Claims: Improves elasticity, moisture, and firmness; provides glowing brightened skin. 

Ingredients: Hereโ€™s a case where the star ingredient is near the end of the list. I donโ€™t know offhand the efficacy of olive leaf extract at low percentages, but I do wish it was listed higher. Phytosteryl/octyl dodecyl lauroyl is an emollient registered as ELDEWยฎ and claimed to be as effective as a ceramide. That plus dimethicone and squalane should make this mask very moisturizing. And Iโ€™m always happy to see rice lees included in a mask as a skin brightener. I recommend applying some sort of humectant and/or hydrating layer beneath nearly any sheet mask (even just plain ol' water), but especially under a mask like this that can act as a sealing moisturizer. 

Spoiler
Water, Glycerin, Squalane, Dimethicone, Behenyl Alcohol, Hydrogenated Rapeseed Alcohol, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Dipentaerythrityl Tri-Polyhydroxystearate, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Sodium Methyl Stearoyl Taurate, Butyl Alcohol, Stearic Acid, Phytosteryl/octyl dodecyl Lauroyl Glutamate, Disodium EDTA, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Citrate, Citric Acid, Butylene Glycol, Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate, Molasses, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Lees Extract, Olea Europaea (Olive) Leaf Extract, Tocopherol, Potassium Cocoyl Hydrolyzed Collagen 

Performance: This is LLLโ€™s older style soft and stretchy sheet with eye flaps and tall nose slits. 2 simple inner corner snips were all the tailoring needed. Stretching to cover nearly my whole jaw was easy, so I didn't need to cut off the eye flaps and repurpose them to cover exposed skin. 

The lotion serum was completely scentless and very well distributed throughout the sheet. I poured a handful of extra serum from the sleeve and rubbed most of it over the sheet on my face, then massaged the rest into my hands and neck. This is not a cooling mask at all; it felt almost warming on my face. I lost track of time and wore it for 35 minutes. Lots of serum was left on the surface of my face and I honestly wasnโ€™t sure itโ€™d all penetrate my skin. So I wiped some of it off with the back of my hands, massaged that into my hands, and then massaged what remained on my face into my skin which, surprisingly, took just a couple minutes. I had no pilling afterward and no real tackinessโ€ฆ eh, just the typical post-moisturizer tack. 

Results: Baby soft skin with a mild healthy-looking glow. My face felt so moisturized, I didnโ€™t apply a moisturizer to most of my face after using this mask. I just spread a little Aquaphor on the sides of my nose (the part of my oily zone Iโ€™ve babied for weeks), my undereyes, and my brow bones. I also didnโ€™t need any additional cream or lotion on my hands; they felt and looked soooo soft and moisturized! Even now, I can't stop occasionally rubbing fingers on the backs of my hands. ๐Ÿ˜‚ Makes me wish I'd saved the excess serum to use later as a full body moisturizer. Will probably do that with the remaining 4 masks. 

The Uccelliera Brunello has more acidity and lively spicy fruit (cherry, blackberry, currant, spice, and a bit of meatiness) than Iโ€™d associate with this mask. A better choice wouldโ€™ve been a velvety merlot, like a Saint-Emilion: something soft, warm, and comfy, like lounging half-awake under my down comforter when my bedroom temp is just right (not hot or warm, but also not nose-chilling cool). Thatโ€™s this mask. Iโ€™ll give it a 92 on the wine tasting scale for now. Score subject to change after I wake up in the morning, depending on how my skin looks and feels then. 

I feel like there's got to be some catchy term for masking and drinking. I was trying to think of something with beverages. Baby soft skin sounds wonderful @WinglessOne - more LuLuLun that I need to write down. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Mmmm, love a good Sangiovese wine! @WinglessOne It sounds like the mask was nice too ๐Ÿ˜†

Thanks @quspork ! I'm honestly more of a nebbiolo fan (hooray for barolo!), but sangiovese is also dang tasty! ๐Ÿ™‚ 

@WinglessOne meatiness ๐Ÿ˜† love it!

@lmaster  Yep, some wines have a meaty flavor note: smoked bacon, roast beef, etc. ๐Ÿ™‚ They're tasty! 

That sounds amazing @WinglessOne 

@WinglessOne  Dang, another one! All of these LLL masks always sound fantastic! I'll definitely have to do a big LLL order one of these days!

I feel like these wine companies should hire you to write descriptions on their wine bottles! - I know I'm always left feeling like I need to go buy a bottle after reading your reviews, and I'm not even a big drinker. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐ŸทIf you start reviewing other drinks, I'll probably want to buy those too ๐Ÿคฃ

Heh, thanks @Shosh85 ! LLL just released (in the US, anyway) a new limited edition travel series mask based on the Ise Grand Shrine, and I soooo want to try it, but it contains orange peel extract. ๐Ÿ˜ญ Sigh... Anyway, if you or anyone else tries that one, I'd love to hear about it! 

And of course, if you decide to sip a little wine while masking, I'd love to hear about that as well! ๐Ÿท

Wants to comment on the mask, but first...the brunello๐Ÿท. Brunellos are SO delicious, and so annoyingly expensive/hard to get outside of Italy. Thank you for this post, @WinglessOne (goes to look for one on my shelf for this week). Glad the mask worked and fit so well!! These LuluLun masks all seem amazing.

Thanks @haleyvvvv ! Aw, brunellos are fairly easy to find here in the States. If it was legal for me to ship wine directly to someone in Canada, I'd send you a bottle myself. ๐Ÿ™‚ If you find any 2015 brunello at a fairly reasonable price, buy itโ€”do not hesitateโ€”and squirrel it away for a couple years so it can finish settling down. 2015 was a great year for these across the board. 

I think when I first came across them in Tuscany about a decade ago, that they weren't commonly importing (or at least this is what a wine guide told me, lol), @WinglessOne. But could also be hard to get outside of majorish cities. We do have some, it just isn't a ton, but I will definitely keep my eye out for 2015 ones, thank you for the tip!!

L is for Latte -  I did this one kind of recently, but it was in my pile of masks that are next to expire, so it gets another turn .... and I'm not mad about it at all ๐Ÿ˜‰

71982562-37B3-42AF-8376-CFE01D6F07D6.jpeg

Spoiler

HIDDENcos Latte Mask

This is a super thin and meshy cotton sheet mask that was drenched with a brown milky serum and had a delicious coffee scent. The fit was ok - a teensy bit too big all around the forehead and a little too long at the chin. I kept it on for about a half hour. There was some very light tack after removing, but it absorbed in less than 10 minutes. My face looked noticeably brighter and my skin felt soft and moisturized and had a nice glow.

I love this mask! The fit was really the only negative part about it - which is never a deal breaker for me anyway. I will definitely continue to repurchase this one!

0BF4EF0F-ABE9-4F0F-BF08-D32382DFCC35.jpeg

Yum!! This mask actually looks so good right now!! @Shosh85 

@lmaster  Yep, it definitely makes you crave coffee! ๐Ÿ˜‹โ˜•๏ธ

Oooh, coffee masks that smell like coffee!! Glad this was a win, @Shosh85!! 

@haleyvvvv  Yep, the scent did not disappoint! They also make an Americano one that is just as good! ๐Ÿ˜ƒโ˜•๏ธ

I love both the coffee based masks from Hiddencos @Shosh85. โ™ฅ๏ธ โ˜•๏ธ I find Iโ€™m not consistent in which one I like more; theyโ€™re both good so it depends on how my skin is doing that day. ๐Ÿ˜† BTW forgot to mention in your previous post that Iโ€™m liking the polka dots. ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

@itsfi  I agree, both of the coffee masks are wonderful! They will both always be repurchases for me!

My starry night blanket is currently being used as part of a fort, so I'm using my boys' old baby blanket instead ๐Ÿ˜‰

Awww, the boys picked a great blankie for their fort @Shosh85! ๐Ÿฅฐ

1 Reply
testing