Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge

@lmaster  Me too, especially caramel/candy apples!! ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ˜‹

@Shosh85   Apple, peach and strawberry are scents that I absolutely want to linger on the mask for the whole wear.  Iโ€™m glad you liked this one.  Is there significant threat of them not making them anymore?  

@heartsmyface  Mmmm, I just love fruity scents in general! ๐Ÿ˜‹

@WinglessOne was the one that informed me of the discontinuation of Peripera masks, and since then I've been trying to load up from the sites that still sell them. It makes me sad, because it's one of my most favorite mask brands! ๐Ÿ˜ข

@heartsmyface @Shosh85  Peripera's parent company, Clio, has done some brand restructuring. Peripera is now focused on cosmetics and no longer creates skincare. Goodal is now the skincare-focused brand in Clio's lineup. So if you love Peripera masks and want more of them, buy them whenever you see them somewhere. There most likely won't be more produced. ๐Ÿ˜ž 

@WinglessOne  I'm not happy about this at all! ๐Ÿ˜ข๐Ÿ˜  I've honestly liked the Peripera masks a lot more than the Goodal masks tried. ๐Ÿ˜ฅ Who knows though, maybe Goodal will come out with some new masks that I'll love.๐Ÿ˜‰

@Shosh85 I kept forgetting if I've tried many (or any) Goodal masks, so I added 3 to my last YesStyle order. I hope they're at least decent. I wish Goodal had just taken over Peripera's existing mask lines, but oh well. 

@WinglessOne  I don't remember a whole lot about the ones I tried since it was before my note saving days, but I feel like they've been good, just nothing stand-out. I guess it's possible I just haven't tried the right ones! I think I have a few more in my stash, so I'll be interested to see how those turn out. ๐Ÿ˜‰

@Shosh85  I'm glad you enjoyed this one! I've used this one but don't think I ever reviewed it here. I remember the serum smelling a lot like apple candy in the sleeve compared to barely smelling like anything on my face. It's one of the few times I wished there was a stronger scent during use. Still, it's a very good mask! Hoard 'em while you can! ๐Ÿ™‚ 

@WinglessOne  I can't remember if I smelled it in the sleeve or not, but I definitely wouldn't mind it being a bit stronger too!

I'll be super sad when they're not available at all anymore! ๐Ÿ˜ข

P = Premium series of one of my favorite mask brands, and an ode to my favorite season. Last nightโ€™s mask was the LuLuLun Premium 2019 Autumn - Japanese Maple. 

Doesn't get much more fall themed than this!Doesn't get much more fall themed than this!

Notes: 

Spoiler

Claims: Hydrates and firms skin; prevents inflammation and gives a healthy glow. 

Ingredients: Most folks (myself included) think of peony as a skin brightening ingredient. But peonies are also possibly anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and firming, thanks to their paeoniflorin compound. The main reason I bought this mask, though, was acer palmatum (maple) leaf extract. My skin loooooves maple extract; thatโ€™s why I was a huge fan of May Coop Raw Sauce (and its maple sap content) for years. I stopped using Raw Sauce because it was getting harder to find. Now when I try to use it on my face, the added fragrance overwhelms me. ๐Ÿ˜ž So I thought โ€œhmm, this mask contains a different type of maple extractโ€ฆ and itโ€™s LuLuLun, soโ€ฆ how can this go wrong?โ€ Especially with lactobacillus/pear juice ferment, which sounds like a nourishing treat for my face. 

Spoiler

Water, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Biosaccharide Gum-1, Paeonia Albifolra Flower Extract, Acer Palmatum Leaf Extract, Lactobacillus/Pear Juice Ferment Filtrate, Punica Granatum Fruit Extract, Hydrolyzed Coix Lacryma-Jobi Ma-Yuen Seed, Dimethylsilanol Hyaluronate, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Xanthan Gum, Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben 

Nerd(ier) moment: dimethylsilanol hyaluronate (trade name โ€œDSH C Nยฎโ€) is the ester of a silicon and sodium hyaluronate. According to Biosil Technologies, Inc. (the company that owns the reg), this stuff โ€œacts as an anti-aging, anti-stretch mark, firming and regenerating (repairing) agentโ€ฆ It contains double quantity of biotechnology sodium hyaluronate.โ€ It immediately hydrates the epidermis and maintains long lasting hydration by bonding with all the water it can get its hydroxyl groups on, whether that waterโ€™s free or already bonded. It sounds like sodium hyaluronate on steroids. The Cookie Monster of sodium hyaluronate, where cookies = water. Cookie Monster has been my favorite Sesame Street character since I was a baby, watching the show from my crib in the 1970s, so again: how can this mask possibly go wrong? ๐Ÿช๐Ÿช ๐Ÿช High hopes! 

Performance: The soft sheet had the same medium-thick material and fit of other LLL Premium masks. Since Iโ€™m very familiar with this brandโ€™s sheets, I often scissor-tailor them before putting them on my face: widen the eyeholes all the way around and snip the mouth hole corners a bit wider. I had no problem stretching this sheet to cover most of my jaw. Once smoothed down, it stayed put. 

The thin watery gel serum was scentlessโ€”eh, maybe just a tinge of โ€œcleanโ€ mask scentโ€”and the sheet felt wonderfully cooling. I wore it for 25 minutes, then squeezed 1/3 a handful of serum out of the sheet and applied that to my face and neck. I spent a good 4 or 5 minutes slowly and gently massaging all that serum into my skin. Such a relaxing experience! No pilling afterward but quite a lot of tack. 

Results: Deliriously happy skin. Super hydrated, refreshed, and quite cool to the touch, as if my pores just drank a 2-liter of cold filtered water. Fine lines were plumped away. Deeper undereye lines remained, of course, but they were noticeably softened. My whole face felt comfortably bouncy-firm and had a nice glow. So did my neck, and I hadnโ€™t pressed the sheet against that skin at all. And the only surface redness left was on a couple of pimples. 

I applied my usual YTTP Superfood Moisturizer to seal in all that hydration and soften the tackiness. Once everything dried down a bit, I applied my retinol serum and went to bed. This morning, my face was still crazy hydrated. This result mightโ€™ve happened because I squeezed excess serum from the used sheet and applied that to my face post-mask, giving my skin an even greater hydration boost. If LLL bottled that serum and sold it separately, Iโ€™d buy lots of it. That stuff is magic. 

Gosh, whatโ€™s the most thirst-quenching wine I can think ofโ€ฆ something very lush, refreshing, juicyโ€ฆ maybe something fruit-forwardโ€ฆ Glaetzer Amon-Ra shiraz comes to mind. Anything thatโ€™s the Amon-Ra of hydrating masks deserves 94 points easily, if not more. Iโ€™m so glad I bought a full box of these 7-sheet packs! My skinโ€™s gonna love these, especially as temperatures drop. 

I haven't done any masking yet tonight, but I'm very tempted to use this mask again. And I very rarely use the same mask on consecutive nights. ๐Ÿคฃ 

@WinglessOne  I will definitely look for this one!!! 

You've definitely sold me on those multi sheet packs once my no buy ends @WinglessOne!

Oooouhh, maple. ๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’– My skin already knew it would want this one right when I read "Japanese maple" in your post. And it was confirmed when I saw that packaging @WinglessOne

@WinglessOne that packaging is too cute!! I have couple packs of these I need to test out, not this version though

Oh gosh, this mask sounds amazing, @WinglessOne!! Definitely going on a to buy list. Glad it was so lovely!!

@WinglessOne Wow that sounds amazing.

@WinglessOne  I know I've said this before, but it needs to be said again...... you seriously know how to sell a mask!! This one sounds wonderful and so perfect for fall! ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ‚ I really loved the Raw Sauce too, and was always ecstatic to see it at TJ Maxx/ Marshall's - haven't seen it there in a while though ๐Ÿ˜ข It's too bad they don't sell the serum for this one! Happy to hear you loved it! ๐Ÿ˜

Thanks @Shosh85 ! I must've missed my calling as a sheet mask marketer/seller. ๐Ÿคฃ And I know what you mean about Raw Sauce sightings at TJM/Marshalls: it was always an exciting surprise! YesStyle still carries both the FS and mini at the cheapest prices (mini's about $8 USD for gold members) I've seen anywhere lately. I notice YesStyle lists the ingredients but omits alcohol, which is really the second ingredient unless May Coop has reformulated this essence. Hmm. 

I might ask LuLuLun if they've ever sold bottled serums/essences, or if they've considered going that route. (They do sell a couple of cream moisturizers.) Meanwhile, I might need to buy more boxes of this mask while they're still available. 

@WinglessOne  Haha! Seriously tho, just about every time you post a review I feel like buying it right then and there! Would this qualify as your favorite LLL mask?

@Shosh85 This might actually be my favorite LLL mask now. ๐Ÿ™‚ I love so many of them... eh, there are some that are more in the "like it" category. And I have to consider expected results from each mask: the Premium Kyoto green tea is my favorite anti-inflammatory LLL mask, for instance, while this maple mask is now my LLL favorite for hydration. 

I am currently using a sample of Tarte Clay mask. It is a multi mask sample, one side is clay the other gel. I didn't have enough room for both so I'm just working on one side at a time. I also finally finished the snowman mask haha.

Tarte Clay Mask.jpg

testing