Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

If you havenโ€™t joined in yet, better late than never!

tenor

We love hearing about every masking experience, and suggestions are always welcome.

This Weekโ€™s Theme: Overnight Masks - Sleeping miracles in a jar that give your skin the perfect AM glow! Another nod to @keana1 for this weekโ€™s challenge๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿผ

Letter of the Week:  M

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 10.02.51 AM.png
motw1.png

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge

@Shosh85  I'm glad you enjoyed this one! I've used this one but don't think I ever reviewed it here. I remember the serum smelling a lot like apple candy in the sleeve compared to barely smelling like anything on my face. It's one of the few times I wished there was a stronger scent during use. Still, it's a very good mask! Hoard 'em while you can! ๐Ÿ™‚ 

@WinglessOne  I can't remember if I smelled it in the sleeve or not, but I definitely wouldn't mind it being a bit stronger too!

I'll be super sad when they're not available at all anymore! ๐Ÿ˜ข

P = Premium series of one of my favorite mask brands, and an ode to my favorite season. Last nightโ€™s mask was the LuLuLun Premium 2019 Autumn - Japanese Maple. 

Doesn't get much more fall themed than this!Doesn't get much more fall themed than this!

Notes: 

Spoiler

Claims: Hydrates and firms skin; prevents inflammation and gives a healthy glow. 

Ingredients: Most folks (myself included) think of peony as a skin brightening ingredient. But peonies are also possibly anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and firming, thanks to their paeoniflorin compound. The main reason I bought this mask, though, was acer palmatum (maple) leaf extract. My skin loooooves maple extract; thatโ€™s why I was a huge fan of May Coop Raw Sauce (and its maple sap content) for years. I stopped using Raw Sauce because it was getting harder to find. Now when I try to use it on my face, the added fragrance overwhelms me. ๐Ÿ˜ž So I thought โ€œhmm, this mask contains a different type of maple extractโ€ฆ and itโ€™s LuLuLun, soโ€ฆ how can this go wrong?โ€ Especially with lactobacillus/pear juice ferment, which sounds like a nourishing treat for my face. 

Spoiler

Water, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Biosaccharide Gum-1, Paeonia Albifolra Flower Extract, Acer Palmatum Leaf Extract, Lactobacillus/Pear Juice Ferment Filtrate, Punica Granatum Fruit Extract, Hydrolyzed Coix Lacryma-Jobi Ma-Yuen Seed, Dimethylsilanol Hyaluronate, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Xanthan Gum, Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben 

Nerd(ier) moment: dimethylsilanol hyaluronate (trade name โ€œDSH C Nยฎโ€) is the ester of a silicon and sodium hyaluronate. According to Biosil Technologies, Inc. (the company that owns the reg), this stuff โ€œacts as an anti-aging, anti-stretch mark, firming and regenerating (repairing) agentโ€ฆ It contains double quantity of biotechnology sodium hyaluronate.โ€ It immediately hydrates the epidermis and maintains long lasting hydration by bonding with all the water it can get its hydroxyl groups on, whether that waterโ€™s free or already bonded. It sounds like sodium hyaluronate on steroids. The Cookie Monster of sodium hyaluronate, where cookies = water. Cookie Monster has been my favorite Sesame Street character since I was a baby, watching the show from my crib in the 1970s, so again: how can this mask possibly go wrong? ๐Ÿช๐Ÿช ๐Ÿช High hopes! 

Performance: The soft sheet had the same medium-thick material and fit of other LLL Premium masks. Since Iโ€™m very familiar with this brandโ€™s sheets, I often scissor-tailor them before putting them on my face: widen the eyeholes all the way around and snip the mouth hole corners a bit wider. I had no problem stretching this sheet to cover most of my jaw. Once smoothed down, it stayed put. 

The thin watery gel serum was scentlessโ€”eh, maybe just a tinge of โ€œcleanโ€ mask scentโ€”and the sheet felt wonderfully cooling. I wore it for 25 minutes, then squeezed 1/3 a handful of serum out of the sheet and applied that to my face and neck. I spent a good 4 or 5 minutes slowly and gently massaging all that serum into my skin. Such a relaxing experience! No pilling afterward but quite a lot of tack. 

Results: Deliriously happy skin. Super hydrated, refreshed, and quite cool to the touch, as if my pores just drank a 2-liter of cold filtered water. Fine lines were plumped away. Deeper undereye lines remained, of course, but they were noticeably softened. My whole face felt comfortably bouncy-firm and had a nice glow. So did my neck, and I hadnโ€™t pressed the sheet against that skin at all. And the only surface redness left was on a couple of pimples. 

I applied my usual YTTP Superfood Moisturizer to seal in all that hydration and soften the tackiness. Once everything dried down a bit, I applied my retinol serum and went to bed. This morning, my face was still crazy hydrated. This result mightโ€™ve happened because I squeezed excess serum from the used sheet and applied that to my face post-mask, giving my skin an even greater hydration boost. If LLL bottled that serum and sold it separately, Iโ€™d buy lots of it. That stuff is magic. 

Gosh, whatโ€™s the most thirst-quenching wine I can think ofโ€ฆ something very lush, refreshing, juicyโ€ฆ maybe something fruit-forwardโ€ฆ Glaetzer Amon-Ra shiraz comes to mind. Anything thatโ€™s the Amon-Ra of hydrating masks deserves 94 points easily, if not more. Iโ€™m so glad I bought a full box of these 7-sheet packs! My skinโ€™s gonna love these, especially as temperatures drop. 

I haven't done any masking yet tonight, but I'm very tempted to use this mask again. And I very rarely use the same mask on consecutive nights. ๐Ÿคฃ 

@WinglessOne  I will definitely look for this one!!! 

You've definitely sold me on those multi sheet packs once my no buy ends @WinglessOne!

Oooouhh, maple. ๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’– My skin already knew it would want this one right when I read "Japanese maple" in your post. And it was confirmed when I saw that packaging @WinglessOne

@WinglessOne that packaging is too cute!! I have couple packs of these I need to test out, not this version though

Oh gosh, this mask sounds amazing, @WinglessOne!! Definitely going on a to buy list. Glad it was so lovely!!

@WinglessOne Wow that sounds amazing.

@WinglessOne  I know I've said this before, but it needs to be said again...... you seriously know how to sell a mask!! This one sounds wonderful and so perfect for fall! ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ‚ I really loved the Raw Sauce too, and was always ecstatic to see it at TJ Maxx/ Marshall's - haven't seen it there in a while though ๐Ÿ˜ข It's too bad they don't sell the serum for this one! Happy to hear you loved it! ๐Ÿ˜

Thanks @Shosh85 ! I must've missed my calling as a sheet mask marketer/seller. ๐Ÿคฃ And I know what you mean about Raw Sauce sightings at TJM/Marshalls: it was always an exciting surprise! YesStyle still carries both the FS and mini at the cheapest prices (mini's about $8 USD for gold members) I've seen anywhere lately. I notice YesStyle lists the ingredients but omits alcohol, which is really the second ingredient unless May Coop has reformulated this essence. Hmm. 

I might ask LuLuLun if they've ever sold bottled serums/essences, or if they've considered going that route. (They do sell a couple of cream moisturizers.) Meanwhile, I might need to buy more boxes of this mask while they're still available. 

@WinglessOne  Haha! Seriously tho, just about every time you post a review I feel like buying it right then and there! Would this qualify as your favorite LLL mask?

@Shosh85 This might actually be my favorite LLL mask now. ๐Ÿ™‚ I love so many of them... eh, there are some that are more in the "like it" category. And I have to consider expected results from each mask: the Premium Kyoto green tea is my favorite anti-inflammatory LLL mask, for instance, while this maple mask is now my LLL favorite for hydration. 

I am currently using a sample of Tarte Clay mask. It is a multi mask sample, one side is clay the other gel. I didn't have enough room for both so I'm just working on one side at a time. I also finally finished the snowman mask haha.

Tarte Clay Mask.jpg

@Samtian, Iโ€™ve seen this mask before - itโ€™s in a huge tub with a pretty top but itโ€™s a lot of product, I recall. Iโ€™ll be interested in your thoughts on the clay mask after youโ€™ve gone through your sample. Does the mask have a noticeable scent to it?

@itsfi I looked it up, it is really pretty! I honestly don't remember, but I'll be using it again on Thursday so I'll be on the look out for any scent.

@Samtian  Whatโ€™s your thoughts! Iโ€™ve seen it but never tried it!

@ather I'm going to do it again tomorrow night so I'll post on Friday my thoughts and stuff, because I honestly don't remember.

@Samtian  Sounds good!! 

Oh that sounds pretty cool @Samtian never tried that one before

@lmaster It's pretty interesting.