Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

Itโ€™s May, Hurray! ๐ŸŒธ We are almost 1/2-way through this yearโ€™s challenge๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿผ

tenor

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’— Post as frequently or infrequently as you would like, with or without following the challenge. We love hearing about every masking experience, and suggestions are always welcome. 

This Weekโ€™s Theme: Masks that Make You Hungry ๐Ÿ˜‹Is it the scent..or the packaging? Which masks make you crave a yummy treat? It is no surprise that this weekโ€™s delicious theme is brought to you by none other than @itsfi! ๐Ÿ‰๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฉ๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿต

Letter of the Week:  U

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 8.35.49 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-11-03 at 8.34.43 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-11-03 at 10.02.51 AM.png

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, if it's an exfoliating mask (include acid info if known), your overall experience, and whether or not you would repurchase. Don't forget to include a grade (thanks to @ShortErica for the idea) to help others along the way.

Most importantly, have fun and merry masking!

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge

@lmaster  Aw, thank you! 

4Luw

Sorry to hear about the cleanser mishap @WinglessOne; good that your skin is healing. Iโ€™m working through my own skincare mishap recovery - ugh. ๐Ÿ˜‘ 

This sounds and looks like a nice mask; too bad itโ€™s been / being discontinued. Oh, I spy tremella mushroom in the ingredients list, which my skin loves! โ™ฅ๏ธ Wish it were higher up on the list. 

@itsfi  I hope your skin heals up soon! On a positive note, anti-cootie masks cover up some of the visible damage. (Or in my case, most of the damage, since my oily zone took the biggest hit.) But yeah, I had to roll my AM and PM routines back to basics last month, stop all AHA exfoliation and vitamin C serum, and drop several other products, including frequent masks. I've spent the last few weeks following a VERY consistent routine that includes 2 anti-inflammation serums. I'm almost afraid to tell my derm how happy my skin is as a result. ๐Ÿคฃ 

I wonder if JayJun will bring this mask back, or maybe reformulate/update it. They've stopped and relaunched their Real Water Brightening Black Mask at least onceโ€”and frankly, the old version was better than the new one. (I love the old version.) Hmm. I also wonder if they currently have another mask containing snow mushroom as a key ingredient... I'm sure they've added at least one new mask to their lineup by now, but I haven't kept up with their releases. Do you have a favorite snow mushroom mask? 

Yeah @WinglessOne, the anti-cootie masks cover up the very visible signs of my mishap, but having that area covered for too long isn't great for me either. Fortunately, the worst is over, I think. I hope. Please, let the worst be over. I've been bare bones on the skincare products as well, and using hydrating sheet masks occasionally to keep the dehydration beneath the surface attended to. Sheet masking is usually just on the top half of my face recently, and the bottom half of my sheet masks have been re-assigned to my chest a few times per week. My propolis ampoule has been working overtime, but its anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, hydrating and soothing properties have been good to my skin. 

I'm usually a little bummed when products undergo a reformulation; I'm happy about brands sourcing better ingredients but sometimes the efficacy of a product gets lost with the new formulation. As much as I like sheet masks, well, masks in general, I'm perfectly happy with a brand having just a few sheet masks that are well curated and well formulated (i.e., Benton).

Oooh, snow mushroom. Eminence Snow Mushroom & Reishi Masque is a nice one. Joanna Vargas has a sheet mask with tremella mushroom as a star ingredient - Euphoria Sheet Mask, that makes for a lovely treat for the skin. I have The Inkey List Snow Mushroom moisturizer; am planning on incorporating that into a routine when the weather cools and my skin is less oily, though at this point, I'm wondering if my skin is just veering more towards dehydrated-combo all year round. I guess I'll find out this winter.

Ok a very pretty mask pack, @WinglessOne, and  also a curious name. I didnโ€™t know my skin needs protective layer of lecithin! 

Your description of the Youth To The People Superfood Air-Whip Moisturizer with Hyaluronic Acid 2 oz/ 60 mL is perfect. I spent a good portion of the year on a quest for a dupe, and although others have shared similarities, none compare in the way this does everything I need it to for my skin. No matter the season!

@eshoe  Good news: just like hyaluronic acid and niacinamide, lecithin's included in many skincare products. I frequently see it in sheet masks. So, chances are your skin's already getting a good dose once in a while. ๐Ÿ‘ It does lots of things for skin: it's a natural moisturizing factor and a liposome creator, so it can help active ingredients penetrate skin better and keep skin hydrated. I think it's in a lot of sheet masks more as a stabilizer, especially when it's listed in the second half of an ingredients list. So when I found this mask focused on lecithin as a key ingredient, I was very intrigued. ๐Ÿ™‚ 

And yeeeeesssss, YTTP Superfood is so good! It's still my skin's favorite moisturizer. I also haven't found a good dupe yet. I've found a couple other moisturizers my skin likes, sure, but they don't do quite what this one does for me. My only complaint is still the way it's packaged. I still don't understand why YTTP won't put this cream in an airless vacuum jar or a tube. I'm sure they'll claim glass is better for the environment, but surely there are recyclable materials one can use to create MUCH better packaging for this moisturizer. Nothing that contains l-ascorbic acid should be kept in a traditional clear jar. But since my skin's so in love with this cream, I keep buying it and transferring it (as fast as possible to reduce air exposure) to my own reusable airless jar. It's worth the hassle. 

Thank you for sharing your knowledge, @WinglessOne - I always learn so much from you! Speaking of, I didnโ€™t even realize the YTTP has l-ascorbic acid. Itโ€™s been quite awhile since Iโ€™ve read the ingredients.

A pump would be great, you are right. There are glass pumps out there, Guessing the costs might be slightly higher because of the pump? You should share your thoughts with the brand, would be a good change to see.

Thanks @eshoe ! ๐Ÿ˜Š I think I did ask YTTP about their packaging decision, but I don't remember if they responded. I might ask again. 

And now I wonder if anyone makes a glass airless vacuum pump jar or bottle... the exterior could certainly be made of glass, but the insides of all airless pumps/bottles I've seen are plastic. At a minimum, the interior platform thingy would probably have to be plastic; I wouldn't want that to be glass and break inside the jar. And either the interior container or exterior jar would have to be opaque or anti-UV for best ascorbic acid protection, so they'd have to use some kind of tinted or opaquely colored glass. But it's possible. 

Iโ€™ve had facial oil containers like that, @WinglessOne. Glass bottle, with plastic pump. I definitely donโ€™t see a glass pump as sustainable in my household, the diamond nail file I bought (you recommended it; it was amazing) broke the exact same day I bought it๐Ÿ™„ no oneโ€™s fault but my own. Just broke the gray glass straw from the SEPHORA COLLECTION Hydrate! Reusable Glass Straw Set this morning. Itโ€™s OOS now, I had it added to my cart immediately and when it went OOS thought to myself, what am I buying? Because I know I am just going to break them all at some point. 

Sidetracked for a moment, but yes...I would take a glass bottle with plastic pump over a glass jar with screw on lid.

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

My favorite multi-step mask: Ole's Power Bright 

IMG_20200827_143608.jpg

This is one I usually save for special occasions but I figure making it to the end of August in the year 2020 is reason enough to celebrate these days! I know a lot of us have used and love this 3-step system so I won't spend too much time on it, but it's still hands down one my favorite masks for bright, baby soft skin. Perfect before a night out or a special event. It's a shame OH seems to have stopped selling it here and through their site, but luckily you can still find the set at Marshall's and TJMaxx fairly often - and thanks to that I have plenty in the stash! 

Absolutely, @quspork this is a major love!!

It's such a good mask, @lmaster!

@quspork  Tooo bad they stopped selling it ๐Ÿค”

It's a sad thing indeed, @ather. It really is one of my favorites of all time, so it's such a shame to see it discontinued. 

I just posted that I don't have any 3 step masks and I do have this one but haven't tried it yet. I picked mine up at Marshalls or TJ Maxx too. Glad to hear more love for this one @quspork! Do you get multiple uses out of it? I feel like that was something I remember reading.

I think several people here do divide up the cups for a couple of uses, but honestly I just slather everything on for a single use per pack, @ShortErica. I hope you enjoy it when you try it!

Oh my goodness, @quspork - you arenโ€™t kidding! Itโ€™s hard to believe we are nearing holiday season already ๐Ÿ˜ณ Good for you for making a celebration out of an ordinary day:)

This has been a crazy year, @eshoe. I can't believe tomorrow is September!

YES @quspork ๐Ÿ‚๐ŸŒพ!!! Fall already ๐Ÿ

Speaking of, love the leaves you included with your surprise mail last year, I saved them in order to use them for decorating and projects this year. Little did I know how special and how far-reaching your kindness would beโ˜บ๏ธ

@eshoe !!! That brings such a smile to my face, you have no idea. I'm glad you can find a use for them and get to enjoy them!

Looooove this one @quspork! ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿงก๐Ÿงก I will be sad when there are no more of these boxes to be found at TJ Maxx / Marshalls. I still keep hope that OH will bring in back. 

Photos1,726
  • The eye patches I reach for most often.
  • 4DD63543-C124-4765-AED1-6201B2D4B8E9.jpeg
  • I wish my skin loved grapefruit as much as my nose does.
  • Thanks, YesStyle, for marring this packaging with your sticker.
  • 95AA92FC-C259-4A86-9792-D371BF6DE5AE.jpeg
  • EB947FDF-F7F4-4BCA-A209-639327AAE741.jpeg
  • D8DC0C1D-492C-4C5E-9F38-98A3FDDB828F.jpeg
  • papaya.jpg
  • Papayaing.JPG
  • Again with the unfortunate sticker placement.
  • Thank goodness all this info's available at Abib's site, otherwise I'd strain my old lady eyes to death.
  • BubbleMask.jpg
  • Bubble Mask on.jpg
  • Bubbles!.jpg