Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

Itโ€™s May, Hurray! ๐ŸŒธ We are almost 1/2-way through this yearโ€™s challenge๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿผ

tenor

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’— Post as frequently or infrequently as you would like, with or without following the challenge. We love hearing about every masking experience, and suggestions are always welcome. 

This Weekโ€™s Theme: Mask with a Partner! @Alphaboo gives us this weekโ€™s fun challenge: Letโ€™s make an excuse to mask togetherโ˜บ๏ธ

Letter of the Week:  T

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 8.35.49 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-11-03 at 8.34.43 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-11-03 at 10.02.51 AM.png

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, if it's an exfoliating mask (include acid info if known), your overall experience, and whether or not you would repurchase. Don't forget to include a grade (thanks to @ShortErica for the idea) to help others along the way.

Most importantly, have fun and merry masking!

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge

Sounds like a treat @heartsmyface. In high school I had a paraffin wax bath that I'd use for my hands and feet. Now I want some type of pampering device again!

@ShortErica  Ouhhhhh, that sounds divine and also somewhat messy.  How do you clean a parrifin bath?  ๐Ÿง. 

exit- Iโ€™m watching how to videos on wax baths!

@heartsmyface As long as the wax was mostly clean, we left it in and it would harden. Then when we would use it again, just reheat. It was the kind that you plugged in and it melted and kept it warm. Once the wax looked gross we would dig out the solid pieces and add new wax. I forget if that was what was instructed or we felt more confident disposing it that way than dumping out warm wax.

@ShortErica   Okay that doesnโ€™t seem so bad  knowing beeswax is antibacterial.  And cooled off seems a less messy way of doing things.   

@heartsmyface  Omg I need to invest in one of those foot baths!!! And the scent of that soak sounds so yummy!! Perfect treat!

@ather   Itโ€™s not something I would have ever thought was a good idea to buy.  It was a gift from my hubs around six years ago.  I remember lowkey not thinking Iโ€™d ever use it but it turned out I loved it.  Too bad I went and stashed it on the top shelf of my closet when we moved.  I forgot about it.  Iโ€™m going to store it somewhere a little more accessible ๐Ÿ˜„

Oooouh, look at you @heartsmyface! I love a good foot soak. ๐Ÿ˜

@itsfi  It felt great! My feet are feeling particularily soft right now.  I must do this more often.  

@heartsmyface, I used to (try to) do a foot soak every Friday night. I need to get back to that. Just thinking about it makes me feel more relaxed. ๐Ÿฅฐ I shall live vicariously through you until I get myself back into the habit. 

Oh gosh, I am very behind on my masking posts. Time to catch up!

Blind Pick Your Mask (F&U) 

Spoiler

20200904_232743~2.jpg

Ugh this mask is Forgettable 

Spoiler
I think I've posted about this I Dew Care mask before. It is just alright. It doesn't fit well, it doesn't brighten, it stings a little bit, it just isn't my jam. I grabbed it from the pile of you need to use these up ASAP mask pile.

Sheet Mask Focus (G&T) 

Spoiler

20200827_231824~2.jpg

I love hydroGel sheet masks Farmacy Coconut Gel Sheet Mask - Brightening 0.78 oz/ 23 mL 

Spoiler
Although I love hydrogel masks, and Farmacy hydrogel masks in particular, this one wasn't my favourite, but still very good.

Fit:
Spoiler
20200827_232130~2.jpg
A little loose on the bottom, which tugged down a little. I fiddled a little bit around with it more after taking this picture and it fit a bit better. I do like the heaviness of the gels, which for the most part feel like they stay in place. No sheet mask has ever fit my nose well though.
Serum: TONS of serum. I applied all over my neck and arms (I'm a lazy masker, there's no way I am saving any in another container, lol). A bit of a fruit/citrus scent probably from the oils. Not too bad.

Claims: Brightening. Yep, check there! My skin was a fair bit brighter after.

Ingredients: Niacinamide is the hero here.
Spoiler
20200827_231837~2.jpg
Wear time: 15-20 minutes suggested, I wore for maybe closer to 30-40? Left my skin a little tacky, which I rubbed in and it quickly absorbed.

Overall grade: B/B+. I definitely prefer the Mediheal A:PE Soothing mask, as in addition to being nourishing and soothing, is also very brightening. But, if I saw this on sale or got some more, I would definitely use. 

Drugstore & Grocery Brands Week (H&S)

Spoiler

20200727_003147~2.jpg

So, I thought this brand was at Shoppers, then realized it wasn't a Boscia mask, but a Dr. Jart one ๐Ÿ˜…

Spoiler
Older mask from Boscia Dr. Jart that I don't think is made anymore, but that's okay with me!

Fit:
Spoiler
20200727_003350~2.jpg
Surprisingly good? 
Serum: Not a lot. Definitely enough on the sheet, but not enough on the packet for anywhere else really.

Claims: Pore Clearing. Failure on this. Clear acne. Failure on this.

Ingredients:
Spoiler
20200727_003357~2.jpg
The charcoal and clay should've helped clean out my pores, but did nada. Although fragrance is lower on the list, there's a lot of scent in this mask.
Wear time: 15-20 minutes. I try to leave on sheet masks until they are just about dry, but this one was too tingly, and I took it off in 15 minutes.

Grade: D-/F. So, while it was one the best fitting sheet masks I have ever used, but wow, it was irritating, overly fragranced and worse, had no effect on my pores!

And, just because I messed up this week, I'll talk about an actual Boscia mask boscia Charcoal Pore Pudding Intensive Wash-Off Treatment , which is a brand actually sold at Shoppers, lol.

Spoiler
Love this mask! It is one of my favourites. I like that it deeply cleans without really drying down on the skin.

3-Step Masks/Multi-Step Masks (I&R)

Spoiler
20200831_002906~2.jpg20200831_004527~2.jpg
I cheated a bit here, technically a multi-step, multi-mask night with this "Invigorating" Dr. Jart+ mask and this Relaxing Gogo mask

Dr. Jart
Spoiler
I like a good peel and was hoping this would be a nice peel + soothing mask. Always read the claims first. It is a peeling mask, but it is a two-step peeling mask, so then I added the Gogo mask. It was the closet I was getting to a three step mask in my collection.

Fit:
Spoiler
Step 1: Obviously fit okay, because it is the granule step, lol. I will say, these were a bit abrasive and didn't spread easily. You can see some liquid pooling in this pack, so I mixed everything around first.
Spoiler
20200831_003238~2.jpg20200831_003355~2.jpg
Step 2: Ooof, a very ill-fitting sheet mask that I had to use my new mask holder for. Bonus, now I know that the one from Pink Blossam fits my wide face better than the one from Sephora, and it was much cheaper, definitely recommend if the Sephora one pulls on your ears. (honestly, why are these one size fits all though???). I regretfully didn't get a picture without the helper, but the chin was terrible, it was like on top of my mouth, just all around not a good fit, much better with the helper.
Spoiler
20200831_003923~2.jpg
Serum: There was enough of the exfoliant to do my face and my chest. It was rough and a bit hard to break down. There was more than enough serum to coat the mask and my chest. The serum was goopy but alright.

Claims: Peeling/Exfoliating. Definitely, but not any better than any other exfoliating mask. It is also supposed to "bubble" and "fizz" or pop when the two components merged. There was maybe two small pops.

Ingredients:
Spoiler
20200831_002912~2.jpg
Wear Time: I mean, it says, "For a While." I think I wore for about 7-10 minutes? I was waiting for the "popping" to occur, and while doing that looked up a bunch of reviews to indicate how long. Since I was worried about maybe over-exfoliating, I decided to err on the side of caution.

Overall Grade: C-. This mask was a pain. It didn't fit well, and while it did exfoliate, it didn't do so in a better or more pleasant experience than other physical/chemical exfoliators. My skin was definitely nice and smooth, but not more so than usual. Plus, hardly any cool popping sensation!
Gogo
Spoiler
I like to follow my exfoliating masks with a hydrating/calming mask, to help settle my skin.

Fit:
Spoiler
20200831_004700~2.jpg
Cotton/Tencel. Surprisingly okay around the eyes, but look at that dangle on the chin.
Serum: A fair bit of watery serum. Spread it over my chest and arms as well.

Claims: Moisturizing and Relaxing. Definitely a fair bit hydrated after, but since it was slipping, I wasn't relaxed about it, lol.

Ingredients:
Spoiler
20200831_004534~2.jpg
Definitely a lot of forms of HA, but all fairly close to the bottom.
Wear Time: Suggested 10-20 minutes. I wore closer to 30-40.

Overall Grade: C. Would be a grade lower if I didn't get a pack of 10 for $5. It was fine. An okay filler mask, but not any intense hydration.

Rainbow Week (J&Q)

Spoiler
20200831_235337~4.jpg
Every week is rainbow week in this house.

Magenta: GLAMGLOW BERRYGLOWโ„ข  Probiotic Recovery Face Mask 2.5 oz/ 75 mL 
Spoiler
I've only used this once. It is yogurt-y, smells like berries, and is a nice, cooling mask. It dries down thick, which is fine, since I prefer to wipe off these masks anyway and not rub in the excess.
Red: Cheating a bit here with the Origins Original Skinโ„ข Retexturizing Mask with Rose Clay 2.5 oz/ 75 mL which is a "pinky" red (heavy on the pink)
Spoiler
This is one of my all time faves. I love how it calms my redness and irritation and resets my skin. It can be a little harsh, so I try to put it on quickly and wipe it off with a very damp MakeUp Eraser.
Orange: Peter Thomas Roth Pumpkin Enzyme Mask Enzymatic Dermal Resurfacer 5 oz and Tata Harper Resurfacing BHA Glow Mask 1 oz/ 30 mL 
Spoiler
I alternate these weekly. I like the PTR, but the scent is overpowering. I really like the Tata Harper for focusing on getting into pores using BHAs, and it is super gentle, I can keep on for 20+ minutes; but it is very expensive.
Yellow: Farmacy Honey Potion Renewing Antioxidant Hydration Mask 4.1 oz/ 117 g 
Spoiler
I LOVE this mask, such a great hydrating mask that I keep around for whenever I need a boost of hydration.
Green: Elemis Veggie Mask and Kiehl's Since 1851 Avocado Nourishing Hydration Mask 3.4 oz/ 100 mL 
Spoiler
Neither of these are my faves. The Elemis mask does brighten a little bit, but it is so weird in texture and claims. The Kiehl's mask is chunky, difficult to spread and while slightly hydrating isn't really worth the effort. I think others have had similar experiences with it.
Blue: The packaging of the Murad Instamatte Mask (I think this no longer exists?)
Spoiler
I bought this for my oily skinned partner and he did not enjoy it. I wanted to see if I liked it before just decluttering it. I am using it in place of my weekly charcoal mask, and it does nicely clean the pores on my normal skin. But you have to use a ton to spread all over the face (which for me is fine, since I am trying to use up).
Indigo/Violet (just generally purple): GLAMGLOW GRAVITYMUDโ„ข Firming Treatment Mask 3.5 oz/ 100 g (This one actually is purple, whereas the normal one is silver)
Spoiler
Its a fun mask that I use occasionally on Saturdays when I feel up to masking. I don't know if it actually helps much with firming, but I don't think it is hurting.
Black: boscia Luminizing Black Charcoal Mask 2.8 oz/ 80 g 
Spoiler
I use this once every 2-3 weeks to once a month, instead of a charcoal clay mask on Sundays. This is my second favourite of this type of mask. It does get down and pullout whiteheads, but I try not to use too many peel off masks too often.
Brown: Peter Thomas Roth Hungarian Thermal Water Mineral-Rich Atomic Heat Mask is brown-ish (taupe?) in the container
Spoiler
I was using a smaller DS of this in a tube, and that is a MUCH better delivery system for this mask. The tub of this is almost impossible to dig out from and it is more grainy than the tube version.
White: I Dew Care Disco Kitten
Spoiler
This mask definitely brightens, but this sample size did not last long (2 uses). Plus it is a peel off mask and there are other brightening masks that do equivalently well without having to peel off. This is a fairly gentle one though.

Thanks for you catch up @haleyvvvv. Love that every week is rainbow for you. Very interesting but logical about the PTR thermal mask being different based on packaging. Though I wonder why it is more grainy. ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ

Thank you, @ShortErica!! I think it is maybe less water/liquid (maybe it settles more to the bottom in the tub), or the act of squeezing it out of tube makes it more pliant/removes some of the graininess?

@haleyvvvv  I love your weekly rainbow line-up! The PTR Pumpkin mask and the Honey Potion are two of my most favorite wash-offs! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Yes, @Shosh85!! Love honey potion!! Thank you!!

@haleyvvvv there's a few new to me in your line up! Thanks for reviewing these

Thank you, @lmaster!! 

@haleyvvvv very impressive! A lot of great masks and some I have been wanting to try.

Thank you, @ladyassassin!!

@haleyvvvv, Iโ€™m impressed that you rotate through all those masks regularly. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ Nice variety in your masks. 

Thank you, @itsfi !! I love masking, so this weekly schedule helps me keep a variety while not having *too* many open at once or deal with decision fatigue. Plus, this thread helps me use up some my sheet mask collection which for some reason I've accumulated despite them not being my fave, lol.

Love your summary, @haleyvvvv. Every week is rainbow week here, too๐Ÿ˜Š The Dr. Jart mask looks good, charcoal sheet masks are some of the best fitting and most comfy in my mind!

4 Replies
Photos1,726
  • The eye patches I reach for most often.
  • 4DD63543-C124-4765-AED1-6201B2D4B8E9.jpeg
  • I wish my skin loved grapefruit as much as my nose does.
  • Thanks, YesStyle, for marring this packaging with your sticker.
  • 95AA92FC-C259-4A86-9792-D371BF6DE5AE.jpeg
  • EB947FDF-F7F4-4BCA-A209-639327AAE741.jpeg
  • D8DC0C1D-492C-4C5E-9F38-98A3FDDB828F.jpeg
  • papaya.jpg
  • Papayaing.JPG
  • Again with the unfortunate sticker placement.
  • Thank goodness all this info's available at Abib's site, otherwise I'd strain my old lady eyes to death.
  • BubbleMask.jpg
  • Bubble Mask on.jpg
  • Bubbles!.jpg