Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

I'm eating ice cream while reading mmm... the package looks good too. Glad to hear the mask was nice and moisturizing @sonnydee - the brand is definitely intriguing me.

Most mask packaging makes me what to buy it, @sonnydee. This is sending all kinds of weird messages...ice cream and jelly though๐Ÿ˜œ At least it gave your skin some โค๏ธ!

Such high hopes for chocolate ice cream scents!! @sonnydee 

@sonnydee  I've picked up a few different varieties from this line and so far I've only tried one, but it was seriously loaded with thick jelly serum - I loved it! A sweet scent would've been nice, but regular ol' sheet mask smell isn't so bad either! Glad to hear it was a good experience! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@sonnydee ooh an ice cream mask! Would have been neat if it did smell like some flavor of ice cream. Sounds like a good mask overall.

@sonnydee, Iโ€™m good with ice cream before masking, and even after. Ooooh, Oreo ice cream? Excellent choice. ๐Ÿ˜‹ It can get messy if you do it during. So long as thereโ€™s ice cream in the day. ๐Ÿ˜† Love that this is so moisturizing. Too bad it didnโ€™t have any results on pores - I hadnโ€™t even realized that was one of its claims (even though itโ€™s clearly written on the packaging ๐Ÿ˜‚) - I guess I was too distracted by the illustration of the ice cream. ๐Ÿจ Speaking of which, itโ€™s probably not okay to have ice cream for breakfast, is it? ๐Ÿค” ๐Ÿ˜‚ 

Don't ask me, my breakfast was almost a piece of cherry pie. But I settled with a hot fudge sundae poptart. ๐Ÿ˜‚@itsfi 

Hahaha! @sonnydee, I didnโ€™t even know pop tarts came in a hot fudge sundae flavor. I canโ€™t even remember the last time I had a pop tart. ๐Ÿ˜† oooh, that cherry pie sounds good, with ice cream on top. ๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿ˜‚ I should start with coffee โ˜•๏ธ and see where I end up. 

Another 3-step mask, this one courtesy of The History of Whoo

History of Whoo.jpeg

Spoiler
Sheet Mask Material
The History of Whoo Moisture Anti-Aging Mask is a 3-step mask, consisting of a first step sheet mask, an essence as the middle step and a cream as the third and final step. The mask itself is medium in thickness and is tinted - the color resembles that of the packaging - a beige-light tan color. It was just a smidge too long at the chin and too wide at the temples, neither of which warranted any alterations. The eye and mouth holes, on the other hand, needed a few snips here and there, especially the mouth.  

Sheet Mask Essence:
There are a lot of ingredients in the essence for this sheet mask, the stars of which are traditional Korean hanbang ingredients like ginseng, gogi berry and other herbs. Intended to infuse the skin with moisture and restore the skin's elasticity and firmness (read: anti-aging), the mask is saturated in a light, but slightly viscous essence that has a scent to it that seems so familiar to me but that I cannot pinpoint - it's got that clean-fresh underlying feel to it, with slight touches of a white floral, maybe, and a perfume scent, though neither of those notes is at all overwhelming. I found it quite lovely, which was surprising for me, as perfume and white floral scents can be very heady and overpowering to my sense of smell. Not so here. 

Performance
Even more lovely was the cooling sensation of the mask against my skin; well, at least on initial application and after the slightly itchy feeling wore off dissipated after a couple of minutes. It was weird; I've not experienced itchiness on any level with sheet masks - mild tingling, yes; burning, unfortunately yes; but not itchiness, at least not until last night. It did not last long and was concentrated on areas where I'm prone to sensitivity so I chalked it up to a sensitivity to one or combination of what seems like a never-ending sea of extracts. Because of the itchiness I experienced, I kept to the instructions and left the mask on for 15-20 minutes, per the directions (closer to the 15 minutes). My face felt lightly hydrated and moisturized when I removed the mask and let the remaining essence absorb fully. 

Step 2 Essence & Step 3 Cream
I reached for the essence, which, out of the packet, has 
a light, thin slightly amber orange tinted gel consistency that, upon contact with the warmth of my hand and later, face, transforms into a more liquidy texture. My skin happily slurped this up before I turned to the final step, the cream which had a light peach-tinted beige color. Consistency-wise, this was creamier and thicker (but by no means thick) than the essence and felt so nourishing when I pressed it into my skin. Both these last two steps had a luxe feel to it.  I went to look in the mirror immediately after getting out of bed and my skin looked and felt soft and nourished. 

Overall Thoughts
I really liked all three steps of this mask pack. Other than the slight itchiness I experienced from the sheet mask, all 3-steps of this system are incredibly nourishing and luxe; a nice at home facial. What I don't really care for is the price tag associated with this mask. It's usually sold in packs of 5 for $75. I am most certain that I did not pay for a box of 5. If my memory is right, I picked this mask up at The Face Shop in a nearby plaza a while ago. I probably paid $12-15 for it. Would I pay that price again for the mask? I don't know. What I do know is that I really enjoyed all three steps and I'm inclined at the moment to look into purchasing  either the cream or the essence, depending on how much they cost, at a later date, after I've gone through my other skincare products.

Ingredients:

Water, Cornus Officinalis Fruit Extract , Velvet Extract , Thymus Vulgaris (Thyme) Extract , Angelica Acutiloba Root Extract , Saccharomyces Ferment Filtrate , Lactobacillus/Soybean Ferment Extract , Alcohol Denat. , Saccharomyces/Potato Extract Ferment Filtrate , Saccharomyces/Barley Seed Ferment Filtrate , Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride , 1,2-Hexanediol, Dipropylene Glycol, Poncirus Trifoliata Fruit Extract , Panthenol , Glycerin , Butylene Glycol , Rhus Javanica Extract, Rhus Semialata Gall Extract, Ophiopogon Japonicus Root Extract , Panax Ginseng Root Extract , Rehmannia Chinensis Root Extract , Water, Ziziphus Jujuba Fruit Extract , Nelumbo Nucifera Root Extract , Nelumbium Speciosum Flower Extract , Lithospermum Erythrorhizon Root Extract , Hydroxyproline, Salvia Miltiorrhiza Root Extract , Populus Nigra Bark/Bud/Leaf/Twig Extract, Water, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Hydrogenated Lecithin , Punica Granatum Fruit Extract , Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter , Tromethamine, Portulaca Oleracea Extract , Pinus Densiflora Leaf Extract , Dioscorea Japonica Root Extract , Saccharomyces/Xylinum/Black Tea Ferment , Glycyrrhiza Uralensis (Licorice) Root Extract , Trifolium Pratense (Clover) Leaf Extract , Polygonatum Officinale Rhizome/Root Extract , Asparagus Cochinchinensis Extract , Acanthopanax Senticosus (Eleuthero) Root Extract , Polygonum Multiflorum Root Extract , Stearyl Alcohol , Typha Angustifolia Spike Extract , Panax Ginseng Root Extract , Behenic Acid , Cinnamomum Cassia Bark Extract, Paeonia Lactiflora Extract , Behenyl Alcohol , Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil , Scutellaria Baicalensis Root Extract , Stearic Acid , Lycium Chinense Fruit Extract , Dextrin , Saposhnikovia Divaricata Root Extract , Atractyloides Japonica Rhizome Extract, Cornus Officinalis Fruit Extract , Zingiber Officinale (Ginger) Root Extract , Morus Alba Fruit Extract , Schisandra Chinensis Fruit Extract , Angelica Acutiloba Root Extract , Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Extract , Poria Cocos Extract , Cyclopentasiloxane , Ceramide NP , Angelica Gigas Root Extract , Cimicifuga Racemosa Root Extract , Lecithin, Red Ginseng Extract , Sorbitol , Water, Myristic Acid , Glycine Max (Soybean) Seed Extract , Urea , Cholesterol , Trisodium EDTA , Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil , Hexyl Laurate , Cetearyl Alcohol , Glycosphingolipids , Disodium EDTA , Niacinamide , Lysine , Leucine , Riboflavin, Methionine , Biotin , Valine, Cyanocobalamin , Cystine , Acetyl Hexapeptide-8 , Arbutin, Arginine , Oligopeptide-1 , Oligopeptide-2 , Oligopeptide -4, Inositol , Isoleucine, Copper Tripeptide-1 , Calcium Pantothenate , Tyrosine , Threonine , Tryptophan , Thiamine HCl , Phenylalanine , Folic Acid , Pyridoxine HCl , Hydrolyzed Soy Protein , Histidine HCl , Fragrance

LANEIGE Lip Glowy Balm Grapefruit 

Wow @itsfi full price is definitely in the luxe range, sounds great for the price point you paid!

It was lovely @lmaster! I like that all 3 steps were ones I liked but I would be happy if they sold just the sheet mask. 

@itsfi  I have yet to try anything from this brand, but I've always heard good things! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ Except for the alcohol, this mask sounds great! - it's too bad they had to sneak that in there ๐Ÿคจ Happy you enjoyed this one! It's fun to be able to try the expensive/luxe masks every once in a while! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@Shosh85, Iโ€™ve tried some skincare samples  from this brand and liked them so I decided to splurge on the mask. ๐Ÿ˜ฌ๐Ÿ˜‰ It is a nice 3-step. I just donโ€™t know if Iโ€™d buy it regularly, given the price.

The History of Whoo is so luxe, @itsfi. I'm glad to hear the mask system worked out well for you, especially the essence and cream!

Another luxe KBeauty brand that has my heart @quspork! โ™ฅ๏ธ

hmmm๐Ÿค” why for such a pricey mask, they have AD in there....

hmmm๐Ÿค” why for such a pricey mask, they have AD in there. I will never know! ๐Ÿ˜•but this mask does sound luxe & lovely @itsfi

Re: hmmm๐Ÿค” why for such a pricey mask, they have AD in there....

@sonnydee, I missed that entirely. Ugh. Though I admit I didnโ€™t look too closely - I got lost in the ingredients list; thereโ€™s so many things in this mask. I try to avoid if I can denatured alcohol so that makes it easier to decide about the mask itself. I may still pick up one the essence of cream. Huh, interesting. . . my wallet is actually thanking you on this; it normally is resigned to being a little lighter whenever we chat about products. ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ› 

Oh, I'm sure somethingssss in one of my late to arrive hauls will fill that gap๐Ÿ˜‹@itsfi

๐Ÿ˜‚heh, heh, heh ๐Ÿ˜† Of course there will be @sonnydee. Iโ€™m so interested to see what you picked up. A purchase I made in July is scheduled to arrive this week and another one next week. So excited. ๐Ÿ˜ I have about a week and a half until my no buy is over, but it hasnโ€™t felt like a no buy with the timing of how orders from the last week of July have been trickling in. ๐Ÿ› 

That is a very intriguing ingredients list, @itsfi. Iโ€™m surprised to see velvet so high! Wonder if the soybean or thyme had anything to do with the itchiness you experienced. I know exactly what you are talking about! Other than that, sounds like it treated your skin properly:)

Could be @eshoe. My first thought was the thyme, as I donโ€™t recall ever having used a sheet mask (or skincare product) with that ingredient. Iโ€™ve used things with soybean and natto, too, without incident, but that doesnโ€™t necessarily mean it wasnโ€™t the soybean here. I donโ€™t think I have another of this mask but will check; itโ€™ll be interesting to see if it makes my skin itchy on certain parts of my face again. ๐Ÿค” 

testing