Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

@ShortErica  I agree. Like is it my whole face or just spots?! Hmm ๐Ÿค” 

At least you received some needed hydration, @ather! I feel like very few sheet masks perform exceptionally at any objectives other than hydration. But as long as it does that, it was worth it:)

@eshoe  I totally agree!!! 

@ather   Too bad it wasn't anything amazing! I haven't tried this one yet, but like @itsfi, I have tried the Black Pearl and really enjoyed it. It'd be a fun experiment to compare the two different pearls ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

I'm always interested to see/hear how a mask does after using it consecutively for several days! I'd love to hear the outcome, if you do decide to try it! ๐Ÿ˜Š

@Shosh85  Yes I would be interested in trying the black one. And seeing the difference between the two!!  I can send you one of the Royal pearl if you like. But itโ€™s almost about to expire. 

@ather  Awe, you are super sweet to offer, but I think I might already have it in my stash! ๐Ÿ‘

@ather, I havenโ€™t used this particular mask from My Beauty Diary but I have used the black pearl one and liked it a lot - like this one, it was great for hydrating my skin and since it contained pearl powder, I saw some (temporary) brightening. I suspect that consistent, regular use of brightening / whitening products would give more of a glow to the complexion. I do wish that brands would replace โ€œwhiteningโ€ claims with โ€œbrighteningโ€ though (unless the item is intended to make oneโ€™s face white, that is). I see shifts to that among some beauty brands.

@itsfi   I agree. I think if it was more of a brightening claim I would be more likely to buy it. I do have some spots on my face  that could use some brightness. Maybe even whitening. I have a bunch so maybe Iโ€™ll try 5 days straight and see if I notice a difference. After I wrote my post I realized I didnโ€™t wash my face before I put the mask on ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿผโ€โ™€๏ธ Oops. I guess it was a long week. This morning my face feels hydrated. I didnโ€™t follow with my skincare last night since I washed my face once my face was dry. Then I used the extra serum on my face after. Maybe Iโ€™ll need another try before I can actually give a better review! 

@ather, ohhhh, long weeks are exhausting. I hope you are able to rest this weekend. Good you realized it and could wash up before calling it a night. Oh, using it 5 nights would be an interesting experiment;๐Ÿ˜ do let us know how it turns out. 

Comparing these Holika Holika masks for the multi-step theme. The Lavender one was gifted to me by the lovely @Kim888! Thanks for bringing me closer to trying them all! ๐Ÿ‘

0994DC97-9887-45DA-A316-AE8CE1D6D2B8.jpeg

Spoiler

Holika Holika Tea Bag Masks

These masks have two pouches. Pouch #1 has a tea bag and pouch #2 has the sheet mask and serum. You're supposed to drop the tea bag into pouch #2 and massage it for 1-2 minutes to let it "brew." I ended up rubbing the pouches for about 3-4 minutes each. The masks themselves were comfortable thin cotton. The fit was the same on all of them - just a smidge too wide at the temples and a teeny bit too long at the chin/jawline. The adherence was ok, but the chin did start to pop up halfway into it. I kept them each on for about 20 minutes and they all had tackiness that lasted bout 15 minutes.

SCENT:

Green Tea: a very light, natural green tea kind of scent

Hibiscus: a light tea scent, that smells like what could be hibiscus, but I'm not totally positive what hibiscus smells like ๐Ÿค”

Lavender: a lavender tea scent, though the lavender scent was stronger than the brewed tea scent that I only caught whiffs of here and there.

SCENT RANKINGS:

#1) Hibiscus

#2) Green Tea

#3) Lavender

RESULTS:

Green Tea: Calm, lightly moisturized and nicely hydrated skin.

Hibiscus:  Moisturized, slightly plump skin with a glow.

Lavender: Nicely moisturized skin that looks less dull with a glow.

RESULT RANKINGS:

#1) Tie between Hibiscus and Lavender

#2) Green Tea

CONCLUSION:

#1) Hibiscus

#2) Green Tea

#3) Lavender

I actually really liked the results from the Lavender one, but the scent was a bit too strong for me and is really the only reason it got last place.

All in all these are nice masks, and gave some great results. The brewing aspect makes it unique and fun to use, though most of the time I do prefer to just pull out a mask and slap it on.

There's a fourth mask in this set (Camomile) and even though these weren't too wowing, I'm still interested in trying it just for the sake of trying them all.

Green Tea Ingredients:

Spoiler
DEBD2B0D-8BEB-4513-99D7-501E0CA4A6B4.jpeg

Hibiscus Ingredients:

Spoiler
C92A0CDB-5BED-486F-86D4-7FA7036FCA90.jpeg

Lavender Ingredients:

Spoiler
BAD3F5AC-4A8F-4D4A-BE1E-017DC44F75D8.jpeg

Ohhh nice!! @Shosh85 what other versions are available?

@lmaster  There is 4 in this line (I think) and Camomile is the only one I haven't tried yet. Hoping to pick it up soon! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@Shosh85 that sounds awesome!! I would really want to try that one too ๐Ÿ˜† maybe around December I'll try to seek em

I think you sent me the Green Tea one @Shosh85 that I still need to try. I hope you get to try the Chamomile to compare! I feel like I can do a slight lavender mask as a pre-bedtime treat but it's got to be for a specific occasion.

@ShortErica I'll definitely be curious to try the camomile one - I hope you like the Green Tea!

I think I'm just weird about floral scents in general. Lavender is one of those scents that is almost always too strong for me - and instead of making me sleepy, it gives me a headache. Why can't my nose just be normal! ๐Ÿ‘ƒ๐Ÿ˜ข

๐Ÿ’— your comparison, @Shosh85! I am so grateful you introduced me to this line. I have some dried hibiscus leaves as well as that mask (from you as well) so I will pair the two and see how different they are. I am so excited to try it, since you rated that one the best in terms of scent:)

@eshoe  Oh nice, that sounds like a fun comparison - I'll be interested to hear what you find out! Hope you enjoy it! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I will, @Shosh85. It falls into the โ€˜itโ€™s so pretty I donโ€™t want to use itโ€™ category:)

Me too @eshoe! It's so unique compared to the others in my basket. I feel like I need to save it.

Yeah itโ€™s tough working through that category, @ShortErica โ˜บ๏ธ

This is a nice comparison, @Shosh85. Lavender is definitely one of those scents that can be nice in small doses but easily becomes overwhelming when it's too strong. 

testing