Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

πŸ’•πŸ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge πŸ˜ŒπŸ’–

If you haven’t joined in yet, better late than never!

tenor

We love hearing about every masking experience, and suggestions are always welcome.

This Week’s Theme: Overnight Masks - Sleeping miracles in a jar that give your skin the perfect AM glow! Another nod to @keana1 for this week’s challengeπŸ™ŒπŸΌ

Letter of the Week:  M

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 10.02.51 AM.png
motw1.png

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masksπŸ’—

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

@ather, I haven’t used this particular mask from My Beauty Diary but I have used the black pearl one and liked it a lot - like this one, it was great for hydrating my skin and since it contained pearl powder, I saw some (temporary) brightening. I suspect that consistent, regular use of brightening / whitening products would give more of a glow to the complexion. I do wish that brands would replace β€œwhitening” claims with β€œbrightening” though (unless the item is intended to make one’s face white, that is). I see shifts to that among some beauty brands.

@itsfi   I agree. I think if it was more of a brightening claim I would be more likely to buy it. I do have some spots on my face  that could use some brightness. Maybe even whitening. I have a bunch so maybe I’ll try 5 days straight and see if I notice a difference. After I wrote my post I realized I didn’t wash my face before I put the mask on πŸ€¦πŸΌβ€β™€οΈ Oops. I guess it was a long week. This morning my face feels hydrated. I didn’t follow with my skincare last night since I washed my face once my face was dry. Then I used the extra serum on my face after. Maybe I’ll need another try before I can actually give a better review! 

@ather, ohhhh, long weeks are exhausting. I hope you are able to rest this weekend. Good you realized it and could wash up before calling it a night. Oh, using it 5 nights would be an interesting experiment;😍 do let us know how it turns out. 

Comparing these Holika Holika masks for the multi-step theme. The Lavender one was gifted to me by the lovely @Kim888! Thanks for bringing me closer to trying them all! πŸ‘

0994DC97-9887-45DA-A316-AE8CE1D6D2B8.jpeg

Spoiler

Holika Holika Tea Bag Masks

These masks have two pouches. Pouch #1 has a tea bag and pouch #2 has the sheet mask and serum. You're supposed to drop the tea bag into pouch #2 and massage it for 1-2 minutes to let it "brew." I ended up rubbing the pouches for about 3-4 minutes each. The masks themselves were comfortable thin cotton. The fit was the same on all of them - just a smidge too wide at the temples and a teeny bit too long at the chin/jawline. The adherence was ok, but the chin did start to pop up halfway into it. I kept them each on for about 20 minutes and they all had tackiness that lasted bout 15 minutes.

SCENT:

Green Tea: a very light, natural green tea kind of scent

Hibiscus: a light tea scent, that smells like what could be hibiscus, but I'm not totally positive what hibiscus smells like πŸ€”

Lavender: a lavender tea scent, though the lavender scent was stronger than the brewed tea scent that I only caught whiffs of here and there.

SCENT RANKINGS:

#1) Hibiscus

#2) Green Tea

#3) Lavender

RESULTS:

Green Tea: Calm, lightly moisturized and nicely hydrated skin.

Hibiscus:  Moisturized, slightly plump skin with a glow.

Lavender: Nicely moisturized skin that looks less dull with a glow.

RESULT RANKINGS:

#1) Tie between Hibiscus and Lavender

#2) Green Tea

CONCLUSION:

#1) Hibiscus

#2) Green Tea

#3) Lavender

I actually really liked the results from the Lavender one, but the scent was a bit too strong for me and is really the only reason it got last place.

All in all these are nice masks, and gave some great results. The brewing aspect makes it unique and fun to use, though most of the time I do prefer to just pull out a mask and slap it on.

There's a fourth mask in this set (Camomile) and even though these weren't too wowing, I'm still interested in trying it just for the sake of trying them all.

Green Tea Ingredients:

Spoiler
DEBD2B0D-8BEB-4513-99D7-501E0CA4A6B4.jpeg

Hibiscus Ingredients:

Spoiler
C92A0CDB-5BED-486F-86D4-7FA7036FCA90.jpeg

Lavender Ingredients:

Spoiler
BAD3F5AC-4A8F-4D4A-BE1E-017DC44F75D8.jpeg

Ohhh nice!! @Shosh85 what other versions are available?

@lmaster  There is 4 in this line (I think) and Camomile is the only one I haven't tried yet. Hoping to pick it up soon! πŸ˜ƒ

@Shosh85 that sounds awesome!! I would really want to try that one too πŸ˜† maybe around December I'll try to seek em

I think you sent me the Green Tea one @Shosh85 that I still need to try. I hope you get to try the Chamomile to compare! I feel like I can do a slight lavender mask as a pre-bedtime treat but it's got to be for a specific occasion.

@ShortErica I'll definitely be curious to try the camomile one - I hope you like the Green Tea!

I think I'm just weird about floral scents in general. Lavender is one of those scents that is almost always too strong for me - and instead of making me sleepy, it gives me a headache. Why can't my nose just be normal! πŸ‘ƒπŸ˜’

πŸ’— your comparison, @Shosh85! I am so grateful you introduced me to this line. I have some dried hibiscus leaves as well as that mask (from you as well) so I will pair the two and see how different they are. I am so excited to try it, since you rated that one the best in terms of scent:)

@eshoe  Oh nice, that sounds like a fun comparison - I'll be interested to hear what you find out! Hope you enjoy it! πŸ˜ƒ

I will, @Shosh85. It falls into the β€˜it’s so pretty I don’t want to use it’ category:)

Me too @eshoe! It's so unique compared to the others in my basket. I feel like I need to save it.

Yeah it’s tough working through that category, @ShortErica β˜ΊοΈ

This is a nice comparison, @Shosh85. Lavender is definitely one of those scents that can be nice in small doses but easily becomes overwhelming when it's too strong. 

@quspork  Exactly - small doses is key. I feel like it's generally such a strong scent with most products.

@Shosh85  I love that you always want to try everything. I think that’s such a good idea!!! I always love reading your thoughts! 

@ather  It is super fun to be able to try a whole line of masks and compare them with each other. Though, I have to say, @ShortErica is the "gotta catch 'em all" queen! πŸ‘‘πŸ˜‰

Hahaha @Shosh85, it always feels like a mission. I'm lucky to have so many sweet BIC friends that share with me. But yeah, wanting all of the varieties of a mask made me go on a no buy so unfortunately catching em all does have consequences. Only 4 months left though!

@ShortErica No more Holika Holika 10-packs for you! πŸ˜œπŸ˜‚ Are you strictly on a mask no-buy, or just skincare in general? 4 months seems like a long time, but it goes by quick! 

Only the aloe Holika Holika but considering I bought 2 10-packs last year, not even those @Shosh85. Mask only no buy. I think I can get my inventory down to 100 which will be good since I feel wash off masks are forgotten in the sheet mask madness. Hopefully I'll be able to get a balance.

3 Replies