Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

@eshoe  I don't think I'm ever really super excited about multi-step masks, but I'm happy I was able to try this one out - it definitely turned out better than expected! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Oh wow, a 3 step you would purchase @Shosh85, that's high praise!

@ShortErica  Haha! Yeah, I really loved the results! It would've been perfect without the floral scent, but at least it was light! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜ƒ

This 3-step sounds so interesting @Shosh85. I ordinarily think of ampoules as being more viscous or thicker than essences, and was surprised that it came before the essence, but your description of the consistencies of both of these supports the โ€œapply products thinnest to thickest approachโ€œ to essences, serums and ampoules. On another note, could entirely be me, but when I first saw the pic of the mask, I thought the illustration on the front was that of a brain. ๐Ÿง  ๐Ÿ˜† Iโ€™m tired so itโ€™s Very likely just me. ๐Ÿ˜ 

@itsfi  Ha! Exactly! When I first read what the steps were I was a little confused - I didn't expect a lightweight ampoule and a thick essence!

Funny you say that about the packaging- I thought it was a brain too! ๐Ÿง 

I was the same way @Shosh85 until I tried these, and then my whole multi step feelings changed for good ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ‘ so happy you had a good experience with this one

@lmaster  There's only a few multi-step masks I enjoy using and this is definitely one of them! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Monday's masks included a letter of the week mask in the morning and a 3-step mask system earlier this evening.

Monday AM: I is for IcingMonday AM: I is for Icing

Spoiler
Mask:A'Pieu Icing Sweet Bar Sheet Mask (Hanrabong)
Material:Soft, thin-ish Tencel
Essence:Clear, thin, slightly runny without dripping all over the place
Scent:The scent was not at all what I was expecting. I expected a citrusy-orange scent. What my nose picked up was something slightly soapy and slighty acrid/bitter peel, maybe. It didn't sit well with my nose.  Fortunately, the scent pretty much disappears after the mask is applied. 
Claims:Brighten and clarify
Fit & Adherence:Adherence was fine. Fit-wise, the length and width were better than most sheet masks - just a smidge too long at the chin and a teensy bit too wide at the temples. The excess material at the nose was easy to alter, but the holes for the eyes and mouth were extremely narrow and, with the eyes, it hovered way too close to both corners and the serum almost got into my eyes. The next one of these masks I use I will cut it in half so there's a right side and left side. That should (hopefully) help.
Results:Not sure about the clarifying claims. My skin did feel lightly hydrated and my complexion looked brightened, but not any more so than with most sheet masks. 
Will I Repurchase?No. While the packaging on this mask is very cute, the results from this mask are what I would consider standard from a sheet mask. The scent isn't great on this one and the narrowness of the eye holes caused me a lot of anxiety even as I was making adjustments to make it fit better. That said, I am still looking forward to trying the other flavors from the line, particularly the watermelon one as I hear it's pretty darn good! 

Ingredients: from misshaus (dot) com
Spoiler
Water, Glycerin, Dipropylene Glycol, Betaine, Sea Water, Citrus Nobilis (Mandarin Orange) Fruit Extract, Hydrogenated lecithin, Dimethicone, C12-14 Pareth-12, Hydroxyethyl Urea, Arginine, Carbomer, Citrus Junos Fruit Extract, Allantoin, Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Disodium EDTA, Butylene Glycol, 1,2-Hexanediol, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Extract, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Morus Alba Bark Extract, Coix Lacryma-Jobi Ma-yuen Seed Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Fragrance

3-step mask!3-step mask!

Spoiler
Julep Triple Quench Deep Hydration Sheet Mask System is one of the masks I tend to pack when I travel. I like each of the three components that make up this system  - an  essence ampoule gel, a bio-cellulose sheet mask, and a hydrating sleeping mask. Together, this 3-step regimen makes for a nice mini at-home facial of sorts when I'm away from home. 

Step 1: Essence Ampoule Gel
This gel transforms into a watery essence as it makes contact with the warmth of my hands and then my face. It absorbs quickly into the skin, imparting it with an initial dose of hydration.

Step 2: Bio-cellulose Sheet Mask
This super thin bio-cellulose sheet mask feels like second skin as it creates a seal of sorts over the face, allowing the skin to really take in the essence infused in the sheet mask. I tend to leave bio-cellulose masks on for 30-45 minutes. After removing the mask and pressing into my skin what remains of the slightly viscous essence, my skin feels hydrated and looks fresh and bright. When I've used this mask after a flight, I tend to apply a moisturizer after the sheet mask and before the last step in this 3-step system, to make sure that my skin stays hydrated through the evening. When I use this Julep 3-step at home, depending on the weather and how my skin is doing, I may skip the separate moisturizer and go straight to the sleeping pack.

Step 3: Sleeping Pack
The last step of this system, the sleeping pack, is a slightly thick but still lightweight cream that glides easily on the skin and once absorbed, leaves my skin feeling hydrated and bouncy. My previous experiences with this mask is that the hydration and suppleness lasts through the night and into the next morning. 

Three-step masks can come in handy when traveling. Usually though, the challenge is finding a 3-step mask system where you like all three components of the system. As someone whose skin is dehydrated year-round, the mask's claim of "deep hydration" is very appealing. Add to that being on and off planes, and in and out of heavily air-conditioned rooms and this three-step mask system looks even more attractive. But, what about the actual results from the mask? Does it live up to its claims? That's the best part, actually. The mask does as it says and provides deep hydration to quench thirsty skin. An excellent mask to keep around and for me, a definite repurchase. 

@itsfi I like the sound of the 3 step mask - deep hydration is always a plus! That's too bad about the Icing Sweet Bar mask.

@itsfi  I've tried all the masks from that A'pieu line, and Hanrabong was my least favorite. In my notes I described the scent as, "a sort of soapy, citrusy scent - kind of like citrus dish soap" ๐Ÿ˜ฌ It's probably the only one from the line I wouldn't consider repurchasing. 
I LOVE that Julep mask! It's gotta be one of my most favorite multi-step mask and thanks to you I had a chance to try it! Happy to hear it's a love for you too! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@Shosh85, Citrus dish soap sounds like a good descriptor. It wasnโ€™t something that I liked. 

The Julep 3-step is one of my favorites from the brand, too. I was bummed when I heard Julep might close but then I saw these in Target and phew ...

@itsfi  I totally forgot about Julep closing! ..... gotta love Target! ๐Ÿ‘Œ

Interesting about the scent you picked up from the icing mask @itsfi I recall loving the scents, maybe I have not tried this particular mask ๐Ÿค”

@lmaster, I wasnโ€™t expecting it. I thought it would be a lot more citrusy or fruity. Iโ€™ll have to check to see if it was an older mask. ๐Ÿค” 

Hopefully some minor mask surgery will help the other Apieu masks fit a little better than this one did, @itsfi.

I think it will @quspork. Most A'Pieu sheet masks just need a little snip here and there, and I think I expected the same from this one. I was a little alarmed when it came right up to the corner of my inner eye. A good reminder that not all sheet masks, even from the same brand, have the same shape and design. 

Everything sounds exceptional, @itsfi! I have the Aโ€™Pieu in my drawer, very excited to try after your reviewโ˜บ๏ธ

Do you have all of the A'Pieu masks in this line @eshoe?

Yes, I believe so @itsfi; if there are four, then I have them. I still need to try the watermelon, pineapple and hanrabang. I just bought them last month after trying and loving the green (melon) one that @Shosh85 shared with me:)

@eshoe, Iโ€™ll be interested to see if your hanrabang version hasnโ€™t a similar scent to what I picked up. Iโ€™ve heard good things about the watermelon and pineapple ones.

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

Tonight's 3 step mask was a gift from the ever so generous @eshoe Step1: the cleanser Fit? it's a creamy, frothy wash. it took off my mascara the 1st time. It has a shimmer to it, reminds me of the AP cleanser that I love Smell?it does have a fragrance to it. I like it, actually reminds me something from my childhood that I cant quite remember what...๐Ÿค” Consistency?cream, rinsed easy Ease of use?no issues Would I  purchase/try again?I wish they sold this individually! Step2: the mask Fit?typical fit, extra to wrap around the chin Smell?it did have a fragrance, pleasant like the cleanser but different Consistency?it is a black mask, drenched in a thinner clear serum Ease of use? I did have to fight with the eyes, at the beginning- the area was a tight fit. Would I  purchase/try again?this left my face felling soft & moisturized. I don't feel the need to add the serum yet- im waiting until morning for everything to soak in even more. it's not tacky but I think it might turn greasy if i added the serum. Which surprised me, being a charcoal mask. Will update tomorrow with step 3.

testing