Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

Thank you for the feedback, @MCSSavvy! Thatโ€™s definitely one I need to try.

@Anonymous  Sounds like a great sesh! 

Thanks @ather !

S is for samples (which was a fabulous theme @heartsmyface did a while back), and spendy, but is it splurge worthy?

H is for House of Dior

About the drugstore / grocery store theme . . . if yours carries Dior masks, that's a mighty fancy drugstore / grocery store๐Ÿ˜‰

Dior.jpeg

General Thoughts: I like foil samples - they're a great way to try out a product to see how my skin responds.  I can get about 2, maybe 3 uses from these foils. One suggestion I have about these foils in particular would be for Dior to include the instructions on the reverse side of the packet. Or, at least for the Glow Better Fresh Jelly Mask as the name of the 1-Minute Mask and sleeping mask gives you some indicator of how long you should keep those masks on. If I hadn't looked up the directions online for the jelly mask though, I'd never have guessed that you're supposed to leave it on for just 3 minutes. Now, on to the masks! ๐Ÿ˜
Spoiler
 Dior Hydra Life Glow Better Fresh Jelly MaskDior Capture Totale DreamSkin 1-Minute MaskDior hydra Life Jelly Sleeping Mask
What is It?A coral tinted, clean,citrus scented, gel peel-scrub treatment that gently exfoliates the skin in 3 minutes with its fruit-acid AHAs and very finely milled yet slightly gritty particles of apricot kernals.A slightly perfume-scented, AHA and BHA based, thin, but rich, gel-cream with a pearlescent pink hue that transforms into a white cream as you massage the product into your skin. A thin, super lightweight, fresh-scented, pale blue gel that almost feels like it turns into a watery consistency upon contact with the skin. It claims to smooth lines and skin texture, hydrate, plump and soften the skin, leaving it fresh faced and radiant.
Hits:The granules are very tiny and extremely gentle - but for some minimal tingling from the AHAs (and having read up on the product a little), I might not have known that this mask contained AHA's.  My skin looked . . . re-energized, smoothed, clear and brightened, and felt lightly hydrated.I was not expecting to like this one at all, but I couldn't stop touching (or wanting to touch) my face after using this mask - my skin felt so smooth and moisturized after, yes, 1 minute! Completely unexpeted. My complexion also looked more smooth, refreshed and luminous immediately after washing off the mask. This had my favorite scent of the trio of masks. Easy to apply; absorbs quickly and without tack or stickyness. My skin looked softened and hydrated the next morning. 
Misses:Though mild, this product is fragranced (both from added fragrance and naturally from the fruit extracts in it) so those sensitive to fragrance might not care for this mask, or any of the Dior masks. While this 2-in-1 exfoliator is gentle on the skin and delivers some excellent results, it's $69 for 1.7 oz.If I thought $69 for the peel scrub was rich, this 1-minute mask retails for $75, though you do get approximately 2.5 oz with this mask. The scent on this one is the strongest of the three masks; it wasn't my favorite scent but it dissipated fairly quickly following application. It wasn't an unpleasant scent, just not my favorite.The price, but it's probably to be expected from the brand. 
Best Suited For: (other than those with sensitivities to any of the ingredients)All skin types. The apricot seed kernals are super small; I expected to feel some coarseness from the scrub as a result but none. If I didn't see the little specks in the mask, I wouldn't have known this product was also a scrub / manual exfoliant.All skin types, but those with very oily skin might not need (or like) how moisturizing this leaves the skin. Those with dry skin, on the other hand, will appreciate how moisturized the skin feels, even several hours after washing off the mask.All skin types when used as a sleeping mask. As with all sleeping masks, I tried using it as a daytime moisturizer, which was okay if that's all I had on. I experienced some slight pilling when used as a daytime moisturizer. 
Would I Purchase?Here's where I'm torn. Although I'm not adverse to spending some money on beauty, and especially skincare, products, I'm also not looking to pick up a product because it's expensive. This is a very nice mask. If I didn't have unopened products to get through, I would probably purchase a full size - during the fall sale and with what I have left on my gift card (if I haven't used that all up by then, that is).I will very likely pick up this mask, though I'm not planning on doing so before the sale near the end of the year. It's $75! Going to start budgeting for it now.Probably not. I have an abundant supply of sleeping masks and the results from this one are very likely something I can get from one of the many I have in my stash. 

Dior Hydra Life Glow Better Fresh Jelly Mask 

Dior Capture Totale Dreamskin 1-Minute Mask 

Dior mask swatches.jpeg

โ€ƒ

Lol ... not my drugstore in town, but the Shoppers Drug Mart chain in Canada has Dior in their larger stores @itsfi !! 

Really @missjeanie??!! Ooooh, so fancy. ๐Ÿคฃ I'm trying to think what is the most luxe brand I've seen in my local TJ Maxx / Marshalls. It's been so long since I've been in either of those stores that I'm having a hard time remembering. No Dior, but I did spy Artis brush sets last year, I think.

I've only been to Canada once and a trip to Shoppers Drug Mart and Winners were both on my list. I made it to SDM (a small one) but not Winners - I tell myself that I can't see everything all at once. Gotta save things for another trip. ๐Ÿ˜‰

@itsfi  The larger SDM have a section of the store thatโ€™s dedicated to mid range and some higher end brands. Their website sells the higher end as well. My local has some benefit, Lancรดme, Lise Watier, Clinique, Clairins, tarte, and bourjois, with a few of the more popular Gurlain and Dior products, usually mascara etc. I get excited when I travel to a city with a bigger Shoppers! 
as far as winners, Iโ€™ve seen a random YSL lippie and a mason pearson brush, thatโ€™s probably as high end as Iโ€™ve noticed (sadly not a shade for me lol), and TJs has to be the Erno Laszlo masks and cleansing oils. 
now Iโ€™m curious to know what everyoneโ€™s best/favourite highest end finds have been??? Anyone???

Oh, I forgot, yes, I've seen Mason Pearson brushes at Marshalls, near the holidays @missjeanie! Great question! Maybe cross-post to the TJ Maxx / Marshalls / Winners thread, too, for more responses?

Great reviews! @itsfi these masks look really cool thanks for sharing this info

These were nice @lmaster! I liked the results, which is not what my wallet likes to hear. ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

@itsfi  The 1 minute mask sounds wonderful. Too bad about the fragrance though. I don't think I would be able to handle it.

I was surprised by it @emaisgr8! If it were unscented it would probably already be on its way to me. ๐Ÿ˜‚ I may pick it up eventually even if the scent isnโ€™t my favorite, but we shall see.

@itsfi All 3 of these sound pretty great! Did you follow the suggested wear time on the 1 and 3 minute masks, or did you go longer?

I tried a foil of the DreamSkin too, and while I liked the results, I didn't like the scent. If weren't for that minor little detail, I'd probably purchase it too (at discount of course) ๐Ÿ˜‰

@Shosh85, I left the 3-minute exfoliating mask on for about 3 minutes. I didnโ€™t know if the acids in it would be too much for my skin so I tried to keep to that timing, at least the first time. The 1-minute mask might have been for like 1.5 minutes, however long it took me to wash off the mask from my hands and set the timer on my phone. ๐Ÿ˜† I think the 1-Minute mask would be excellent for a pre-makeup prep mask. I wonder if the scent on a FS is more potent; it wasnโ€™t my favorite. I could live with it; or at least at the strength of the foil sample. Weโ€™ll see. I have โ€œa fewโ€ other wash off masks to go through - I could  like any one of those more than this one. ๐Ÿ˜ 

@itsfi  Iโ€™ve not heard of any of this three. Interesting. I wonder why I havenโ€™t gotten any of those foils. I tend to grab mask foils or hair foils the most. I think I was gravitating towards the 1 minute mask. Although Iโ€™m wondering at the $75 price tag if there would be another product similar. Although if the results are great Iโ€™m less likely to mind the price tag! Great reviews!

@ather, I had only heard of the first mask, the exfoliating one, before this masking. I actually thought the other two foils were for moisturizers. The more I think about it, the more I really liked that 1-Minute Mask. ๐Ÿ˜ I seriously could not stop touching my face - which is a big no-no - it felt so soft, smooth and moisturized. โ™ฅ๏ธ I have some $$ left on a gift card that would take care of a good part of the cost of that mask. I really would like to get through at least one, maybe 2, more full size wash off masks, and then I may pick it up. ๐Ÿค” 

@itsfi  I need to go through my foils and check!!! I need to get through my open wash offs too. Thatโ€™s my goal this year!

You can do it @ather! ๐Ÿค— Having a system and routine in place seems to work best for me to get through my wash off mask. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ It was hard at first but once I got myself into a rhythm, it felt less daunting. Getting through wash off masks is a great goal. โ™ฅ๏ธ

@itsfi  Thanks!! I have mine on my bathroom counter glaring at me so I use them more. Itโ€™s like the corner of shame lol ๐Ÿ˜‚ 

โ€œCorner of shameโ€, hahaha! I get it @ather! Sadly, I get it! ๐Ÿ˜† But you are working through it and thatโ€™s a good thing! You got this! 

A couple of catch up masks!  I know already before I try that photos won't load so I'll add them from my phone in the comments.

Saturday: PTR Hungarian Thermal Water & Giselle Honey

Spoiler
The PRT Hungarian Thermal Water is an okay mask for me.  It doesn't work any wonders for my skin.  I didn't look any younger like the claims lol.  The mask did leave my skin feeling smoother and looking refreshed though so I can't complain too much, I don't really put too much faith in any crazy claims like a mask making me look younger.  The mask didn't feel warming to me this go round, but I feel like I've used this before and it did.  This mask was provided to me gratis from @TeamBIC and I'm quite thankful to have tried it.  If I happened upon a smaller size of this mask sold solo I'd pick it up.  The full size (5.1oz) is just too much for me to ever get through.  The smaller size of 1.7oz, is do able but it always seems to be in a pack with other masks that I'm not interested in. While this mask didn't wow me, it would suit for an 'everyday' mask for me, its not super hydrating, but I enjoyed the experience of using it.  I'm in a mood of late where I'd like to finish up some masks and this is one I'm aiming to finish this month, and I think I'll be able to easily as I enjoy the mask.  Of the PTR masks this one is probably in my top 3 accompanied by pumpkin and Irish mud.  Thanks to Team Bic for letting me try this mask out!
After my PTR I used the Giselle Honey Biocellulose mask.  I recall quite liking the bio cellulose aspect here, however nothing else was remarkable about it, either in the negative or positive.  It's been 5 days and I just can't remember anything about it, other than it was fine and there was no honey scent.  This is why I should write reviews right away instead of waiting.
The eye gels... they're fine I guess.  Nothing spectacular.  I'm trying to use them more often to see if the amount of use will help them make an impact.  I don't feel like they do any harm, but I'm also not sold they do anything beyond what an eye serum would do.  This is my second LookAtMe set of eye gels and I can't see a difference between these pearl ones and the snail ones I just finished. 

Monday: DE Babyfacial, and Whole Foods Moisturizing Green Tea

Spoiler
DE Babyfacial is a favourite of mine.  I usually try to use a stronger exfoliating mask/peel like this once a week.  This one is great, I get a touch of redness right after I take it off (I do leave it on way too long though), but the red fades within 5 minutes and my skin has always looked more clear and smooth after using it.  At this point I think we all know how we feel about this mask, I won't go into too much detail.  I will say that I'm almost out of this... and I can't get to my US PO box... so there's that.  I sat at my desk at my part time job today, the window in front of me faces the river that separates Canada and the US... I could literally see the building that houses my favourite restaurant.... I miss you America. 
The Whole Foods mask was ... not memorable.  I'm gonna try to be better about remembering masks lol.  I do remember thinking that I thought this was going to be better, I think that may have been my fault though as for some reason I have Whole Foods set in my mind as a super fun grocery store that I don't have, so all of their stuff must be super fun too.  This was sent to me by the lovely @eshoe  it did have a bit of an herbal scent to it that faded once I had the two piece mask on.  I do like the two piece factor, but I didn't notice the special microfibre fabric.  

testing