Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

Nice mask choice @rosegoldlovely๐Ÿ˜ This is a go-to spot treatment for me for banishing blemishes! 

@rosegoldlovely I love using this one as a spot treatment - it really helps to dry up blemishes! Happy to hear it works well for you! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ‘

Amazing to hear!

S = soothing and singular. Last nightโ€™s mask was the Dewytree Cica 100 Mask. My oily zone is angry about an oil cleanser sample I tried 2 days ago: lots of little bumps and lots of redness. Perfect time to test this mask! 

I finally know what centella asiatic actually smells like! :DI finally know what centella asiatic actually smells like! ๐Ÿ˜„

Notes: 

Spoiler

Claims: Soothes irritated or inflamed skin; strengthens skin barrier. 

Ingredients: 100% centella asiatica extract. Nothing else. 

Iโ€™ve talked a lot about cica in this thread, as itโ€™s one of my skinโ€™s favorite ingredients. Besides famously soothing inflammation, cica can boost skinโ€™s production of collagen and hyaluronic acid. Thatโ€™s a huge bonus for my 48 year old mostly-dry combo skin. 

Performance: This stiff yet fairly soft thin gauze cotton/algae/eucalyptus sheet was tinted brown by very runny serum that felt both watery and oily. The sheet was a great length for my face and needed no hole trimming, though the eyeholes werenโ€™t as large as Iโ€™d like. The sheet has an average width, so it left parts of my jaw bare. Luckily there was a handful of serum left in the sleeve: I applied that to my bare jaw and patted it over the sheet on my forehead, nose area, and cheeks. 

The serum has a slight green plant scent, almost pine-like but not quiteโ€ฆ I canโ€™t describe it much further than that. If this is what cica actually smells like, itโ€™s a very mild scent. Once the sheet was on my face, I smelled nothing. 

The sheet behaved better than I expected, considering the viscosity and drippiness of the serum. It never slid down at all or came unstuck at the chin. After 30 minutes of wear, I removed the sheet and let the serum sink into my skin on its own for about 10 minutes before pressing it in. I had no pilling, but my skin did feel a bit tacky. 

Results: Nicely hydrated skin that looked noticeably less red and felt well moisturizedโ€”though I suspect โ€œmoisturizedโ€ was actually emollient in this case, so: this cica serum left an emollient film on my skin surface, and my face had no issue with it. I applied my usual YTTP Superfood Moisturizer over it to seal in that hydration and emollience, and my oily zone didnโ€™t feel swamped. That zone was still in bumpy reaction mode, but it felt much calmer: no more weirdly angry buzzing beneath the surface. 

I bought a box of this mask thinking โ€œitโ€™s nothing but cicaโ€ฆ my skin LOVES cicaโ€ฆ how can this purchase possibly go wrong?โ€ Answer: it canโ€™t. ๐Ÿ‘ Iโ€™m glad to have a tangible example of what cica can do all by itself. This mask is a 94-95 point 100% malbec wine. Malbec is often blended with other grape varietals in French* wines, but Argentina keeps proving how amazing it can be on its own. Thatโ€™s what Dewytreeโ€™s done with centella asiatica. Iโ€™m going to bottle leftover serum from the rest of these masks, and will definitely buy more of them. 

*Eh, one region of France does still make 100% malbecs, and they taste quite different from Argentina's. It's a great example of how terroir effects the taste of a varietal. French malbecs have more tannic backbone, while Argentinian malbecs are lusher. Not to encourage more wine drinking but, you know, you could do wine flights of French vs. Argentinian malbecs... that'd be a fun evening! ๐Ÿท 

@WinglessOne  Wow thatโ€™s so awesome to hear it worked out. I kinda like the idea of 1 ingredient masks. I wonder how many more are out there. I think we might need to have a zoom wine tasting and masking night to debate France vs. Argentina  ๐Ÿคฃ

@ather @WinglessOne

*politely butting in with unsolicited commentary๐Ÿ˜‰ zoom wine tasting and masking night debate . . . I think we should leave open the possibility that it will not just be one night. Malbecs are full-bodied topics, we don't want to rush it. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚

@itsfi @WinglessOne  we may need to have a weekly wine night now that I think about it!

@ather @WinglessOne, just one glass for me though. ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿคฃ

I'll just have one glass.gif

@itsfi @WinglessOne  Just donโ€™t spill it ๐Ÿ˜

@itsfi @ather Haha, fair point! It could be a multi-night wine masking conference! And there are so many potential wine topics... French syrah vs. Australian shiraz... Spanish garnacha vs. French grenache... just how good is Napa cab, compared to Bordeaux cab... oh, and sparking wines: Italian prosecco vs. French champagne vs. Spanish cava... this could be a monthly conference. ๐Ÿคฃ

@WinglessOne @ather, completely agree. A monthly conference means that we can constantly be keeping up with our education. โ˜บ๏ธ I like it! ๐Ÿค“ I think Iโ€™m going to enjoy the homework involved with this conference. ๐Ÿคฃ

@itsfi @WinglessOne  I like this kind of homework!!!

@ather There are 3 other varieties in Dewytree's 100 Mask line: birch, hibiscus, and quince. I'm not sure if any other brands make single-ingredient sheet masks, though. 

A wine + masks Zoom even would be fun! I wish US state-level wine shipping laws weren't so ridiculous, so I could work out some wine sharing logistics for participants. ๐Ÿ™‚ 

@WinglessOne  Thanks for the info. I may need to look them up. I like the thought of 1 ingredient masks. 

What are the rules for the wine shipping? I wonder if thereโ€™s rules against Canada shipping. Now I think about it I donโ€™t think itโ€™s allowed. More research is needed!! Maybe just a zoom wine and masking night would be fun!! 

Okay, this rating seems high so can you remind me if this is your highest rates cica mask or you have another favorite(s) @WinglessOne? Thank you!

@ShortErica At some point, I need to pit this mask directly against a few other cica masks. This is obviously the one that contains the most cica, but other masks have great supporting ingredients that cover other skin issues. 

When it comes to the issue of irritation and inflammation, my favorite mask is still the Abib Mild pH Heartleaf Fit mask: that one's loaded with skin soothing ingredients, including cica. That Abib mask will be very hard to beat. 

Yes, I'd love for you to pit them against each other in the future @WinglessOne. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Glad this one worked out well for you, @WinglessOne!

Thanks @quspork ! You're the one who tried another Dewytree 100 mask, right? I couldn't remember who that was when I originally posted, otherwise I'd have tagged you. ๐Ÿ™‚ 

I did try the quince version recently, @WinglessOne and liked it pretty well. I have the birch on hand to try at some point too. I have the absolute worst memory and almost always forget who it was I saw using what, LOL!

@WinglessOne how would you describe the scent?? I'm very curious

1 Reply
testing