Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

Gotta keep things interesting in these times @Shosh85! ๐Ÿ˜† 

@itsfi I totally get where my Dermatologist is coming from, but like you, I've never noticed that masking has been bad for my skin.  

I find the paraben free and 'clean' pushes in skincare to be very interesting.  Not everything organic and natural is better for us... but here we are.  I find my opinion on it all flip flopping depending on the day.  Today I feel that as 'clean' as possible is a good thing without loosing the science behind proven ingredients.   Then again, I'm no scientist or dermatologist lol

@missjeanie, we're not scientists or dermatologists, but we know how our skin responds to things, generally speaking. As for clean, organic, natural, etc., it absolutely doesn't mean it'll be better. Everyone's skin is different and there have been several products with the clean/organic/natural label that my skin has reacted so poorly to. Likewise with formulae that have included ingredients that would not fit under the clean/organic/natural designation.

My skin is probably some version of combination throughout the year - oilier in the warmer months and a lot more dry in the cooler seasons. It's also dehydrated all the time, so sheet masks aimed at hydration (which is what sheet masks are ordinarily geared towards) are wonderful for infusing hydration into my skin.

With there being more and more "clean" options out there, I do gravitate towards seeing how those products perform, but ultimately, it's what makes my skin happy. Because it's no fun having to deal with it (and live with it) when it's angry. ๐Ÿ˜‚

@itsfi  @missjeanie  I think some folks know by now how anti-"clean" I am when it comes to skincare and beauty. Parabens were one of the first victims of "clean" beauty marketing that was based on very flawed studies. I don't care if a product is labeled "clean" or "natural." I only care about what it contains and doesn't contain, regardless of how natural/"clean" those ingredients are. Petrolatum is natural, yet it's another victim of "clean" beauty. Heck, parabens are esters of a natural substance that's found in olives, blueberries, strawberries, and other fruits. ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ Once you realize "clean" is nothing more than a marketing gimmick, with no proven scientific basis (don't get me started on the Environmental Working Group ๐Ÿคฃ), government/federal certification, or even industry standards, it's much easier to completely ignore that label. 

I bought some of Sephora's new "clean" masks because I assume the old "dirty" ones will be phased out in favor of these new versions, so I wanted to see how the new ones perform. I didn't buy each variety because certain ingredientsโ€”natural and "clean" though they may beโ€”are terrible, and there's scientific proof of their terribleness. Some of my other skincare and makeup is labeled "clean," but that has nothing to do with why I use them or why I even considered buying them. That label means nothing to me. ๐Ÿ™‚ 

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

G for Gore! {And T }for This was the mask that my mini moved & i had to look on my hands & knees to find it! Its so tiny & cute. I picked thisup from MOTM extras Too Cool For School Fresh Gore sleeping pack I think this might be discontinued๐Ÿ˜ฒ...the smell {I thought I smelled alcohol} made me hunt for ingredients list but haven't really found a complete list ..which is disappointing, it would be tons of fun for Halloween masking. Will update tomorrow! NEXT DAY UPDATE: Fit?it's a thick, reddish clear almost gel. it doesn't run on your face & spreads easily Smell?...typical sheet mask smell but I picked up something alcohol like. ๐Ÿคท Consistency?I had tack for hours. ๐Ÿ˜ฌ When i woke up, the feeling was gone but it mightve just been rubbed off from my pillow/blankets. My skin is soft feeling & moisturized but I think i would appreciate this more in colder months or when my skin is extra thirsty Ease of use?no trouble except for the tackiness. Would I  purchase/try again? if this popped up in TJ or M, I think I would purchase it. But it doesn't seem to be readily available in the U.S. {its out there but you would order internationally. I'm still weird about that unless i can go thru PayPal} due to my current stash size- its not a must have to track down now.

@sonnydee Cute package.  

@sonnydee  Ooo Iโ€™ve never seen this one before. 

This one did seem intriguing @sonnydee and thanks for sharing. It seems like a cool one for Halloween time at a TJ price. ๐Ÿ˜‰

That is a little guy @sonnydee ๐Ÿ˜† glad you found it!

lol I was reading the other day about you loosing this mask and was hoping that you'd find it @sonnydee !  I've seen dragons blood as an ingredient before but hadn't tried it... that I can recall anyhow.  It's fun to try out a mask you don't find as easily in NA!  Glad it worked out even with the tackiness. 

@sonnydee   I havenโ€™t seen that mask sold anywhere but Korea.  Maybe it couldnโ€™t get approved for sale here for whatever reason but I really like it.   Itโ€™s the Dragons Blood thatโ€™s the magic ingredient for me though.  Rodial has a dragons blood Sleeping mask thatโ€™s really good as well if youโ€™re looking for something more available.  

@heartsmyface I was just thinking that I'd seen a dragons blood mask at SDM and it was the Rodial.  I've looked at it a few times but kept wondering if a mask for that price was really worth it.  Maybe it'll need to be a points purchase this year, thanks for the push!

@missjeanie 

96095F62-7E51-4347-A61F-92105DC49613.gif

โ€ƒ

Lol @heartsmyface thats a good one!

This looks like such a fun mask @sonnydee! Looking forward to hearing how it performed for you! 

@sonnydee  Such a fun name and it is such a cute a lil' size! I think I remember @heartsmyface doing this one a while back!

I found a list of ingredients online, hopefully they're correct -

2A924C31-9C8F-47DA-9A62-B4F8B3C90EC6.jpeg

9A5C1719-AC7F-4DA0-B06E-F19C0D8AFC88.jpeg

@WinglessOne 

@sonnydee Aw, I hope Fresh Gore comes back for Halloween. I've never used it but I've been curious about it, and now I'm kinda bummed I never bought a tube. It's been a while since I looked at its ingredients, but I remember it contains neem and niacinamide, and I think henna extract? I'm surprised it doesn't look redder, considering how red dragon's blood resin is. 

Now I'm noting to self to grab this if I ever see it again. ๐Ÿ˜„ 

I actually never have seen it but not surprising, there's so much out there!...I have used tcfs before & it looked interesting...the most I could find 
โ–ถ Major ingredients

: Dragon Blood Extract, Astaxanthin, niacinamide, adenosine

@WinglessOne hopefully it pops up 

So I went to make myself a Gin and Tonic tonight tonight to go with my Gold mask... No tonic. No Gin. I'm still doing all my groceries curb side and haven't ventured to the LCBO so I'm working with I've got... Ginger Tea instead! lol. A very different beverage to accompany my masking indeed! 

Spoiler
I started off the day with the last of my Bliss Mighty Marshmallow Mask.  This mask has some memories behind it, I remember buying it and using it for the first time when I was on an unscheduled road trip to Florida in 2019.  We were just stopped for Gas and I ran across the parking lot into a Target to scope out the skincare section (No Targets in Canada or right near me in the US).  I picked this up because it said marshmallow and I'd heard someone on the thread mention this one.  Well later that day the car died.  My impromptu night in a hotel in a random Florida city and I had my new mask in my purse while the rest of my luggage was in the car.  I remember at the time and even still today enjoying the texture of the mask.  More shaving cream than marshmallow, it never dries right down tight like a clay mask, but does dry a bit.  My skin did look a bit more bright after my shower (where I rinsed off) but I've kinda come to the conclusion that this happens after 95% of my masking sessions.  This wasn't any more effective than any other mask.  I could see where it would be a nice one for someone with zero skin concerns, I'm thinking of someone in their teens or twenties who's just looking for the fun of a mask.  No harm no foul here, but I'm glad to have it finished up so I can move onto finishing some others, I'm in a finishing things up mood lol.
Post Shower I used the Look at Me Snail eye patches.  These were okay.  The hydrogel was fine, I found that the serum was okay as well, but nothing to write home about.  My under eyes are dry and do go through periods of really dry spells.  These would not have done anything much for the really dry spells but seemed find for an everyday use.  I do think it would be a good habit for me to get into doing something like these daily, and while I have officially finished this pack, I do have another pack from the same line that I'll try to use more consistently.  No scent here, they stayed in place find so long as I kind of dragged the patch along the rim of the container when I pulled it out to get some excess off.  There was no excess to speak of in the bottom of the jar once I used them all.  Again, no harm, but nothing exciting here.
Tonights star was the Oozoo Gold Foilayer mask.  I found the serum, of which there was plenty to be a bit on the runny side.  The mask was in two pieces which I appreciated for ease of application and fit.  Speaking of fit, lots of well placed slits around the mask edges.  This is a mask that claims to aim for moisturization and that's something that I can always use.  I kept the mask on for about a half hour and it wore nicely, stayed damp.  I did have a few times where I thought I could feel a bit of tingling.  I'm starting to think that I might have reactions to gold in skincare.  I remember having the same thoughts after using some gold eye patches and another gold mask.  Nothing official, but I might need to keep an eye on how much gold I use. No scent to speak of and it did massage in really nicely when I took the mask off.  Tack if any was super minimal once it dried down. I'd rate this mask a A-, it did moisturize, it was a good fit, but the tingling knocked it down a touch.  

@missjeanie  Hmm interesting about the gold. Too bad the snail wasnโ€™t awesome Iโ€™ve been meaning to try them!

@ather I'm sure there are way better eye patches out there, but I think I paid about 4$ for the jar of these, so I can't complain too much for the cost.  

13 Replies
testing