Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

U = ubiquinone, aka coenzyme Q10. Last night I used another blind selection from my one-offs bin: Yerma Q10 Collagen Essence Mask. 

I think this is the first and only Yerma mask I've ever used.I think this is the first and only Yerma mask I've ever used.

Notes: 

Spoiler

Claims: Nourishes skin and improves elasticity; reduces fine lines and wrinkles. 

Ingredients: Iโ€™ve said a few times that I love fairly short ingredients lists, as long as they contain beneficial ingredients with no bad-for-me stuff. Of these 17 ingredients, the only iffy one for me is fragrance. Q10 is good, of course; collagen is still in the โ€œIโ€™ll believe itโ€™s effective [applied topically to skin] when more dermatologists and scientists prove itโ€ category for me. More important to me than both those ingredients are soothers aloe and purslane (portulaca oleracea), plus good olโ€™ panthenol and vitamin E. Thereโ€™s also lots of vitamin E in purslane, which is also a great source of vitamins C and A, plus omega-3 fatty acids. Itโ€™s one of my favorite skincare ingredients. 

Spoiler
Water, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Xanthan Gum, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Panthenol, Polysorbate 80, Beta-Glucan, Tocopheryl Acetate, Hydrolyzed Collagen (0.126%), 1,2- Hexanediol, Portulaca Oleracea Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Disodium EDTA, Ubiquinone (0.01%), Fragrance 

Performance: This medium-thick cotton sheet had eye flaps that I snipped off. Otherwise, it fit me perfectly: big enough eye and mouth holes, great length and stretchable width, perfect philtrum (so many masks are too short or tall in this little space between nose and lip), and the nose had slits down the center (but not all the way to the tip) to help the sheet get full skin contact. The sheet was a fairly soft and nicely cooling experience. 

There was about a handful of thin milky runny serum in the sleeve. It had a floral scent, and Iโ€™m still trying to figure out what flower(s) it reminds me of. It kinda smelled like there was also a bit of tang in the fragrance, probably a citrus note. The fruit fly who kept trying to interfere with last nightโ€™s dinner decided to investigate this mask a couple times during the 30 minutes I wore it. By then, the sheet had given up nearly all it had. It took just a couple minutes to massage residual serum into my skin. I had no pilling and mild tack. 

Results: Moderately hydrated, slightly more radiant, and cooled down skin. My face felt very nice, even if it wasnโ€™t plump with hydration. Some of my redness was reduced, and my skin felt calmer. Iโ€™m sure aloeโ€™s to thank for that. With repeated use over time, this mask might indeed reduce the appearance of fine lines thanks to Q10. But I got no immediate results in that category, which I honestly didn't expect anyway. 

I think this is the first Yerma mask Iโ€™ve ever used, though Iโ€™ve had it for months. It makes me kinda curious about the other masks in this Collagen Essence line... maybe curious enough to find out what's in them. I assume they share a base set of ingredients including hydrolyzed collagenโ€”and that ingredient's not enough to entice me to buy more masks. This Q10 mask was nice but didn't outperform other aloe masks I already have. And that's primarily what this is: an aloe mask that also contains ubiquinone. ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ

Ahhh, ubiquinone @WinglessOne! I remember when I first learned it was another name for coQ-10. It was a relief as I first wondered if it was some derivative of hydroquinone. It came in handy to for one of the previous "U" week challenges as well. Do you like this mask enough to try other varieties in the line?

@itsfi I learned about Q10 when a close friend began taking it as a supplement for his heart issues. That led me to learn more about its topical use. That was a few years ago and now I wonder if Q10 ever made much positive impact for my friend... I don't think I ever followed up specifically on that, though I know his overall heart health has improved (thank goodness). This is me reminding myself to ask about it next time I talk with him. 

Anyway, about this mask line: if I can easily track down the other varieties and their ingredients, and one of them seems promising, I might try it. I wasn't wowed by this Q10 mask but it also wasn't bad, so I kinda don't wanna write off the entire line based on this mask. I'm also in no hurry to investigate the rest of this line ๐Ÿ˜‚... if you (or anyone else) try any of these Yerma Collagen masks, let me know what you think! 

@WinglessOne, I'm glad to hear that your friend's overall heart health has improved. Health is such a valuable thing. 

Oh, no investigating new sheet masks for me for a while. Not that I don't want to, but I am on a sheet mask no buy. I hit a very brief pause on the sheet mask no buy to pick up a couple of the new clean sheet masks from the Sephora Collection but am trying to keep to that. I'm "close" to using up all my pre-2020 purchased sheet masks. Close is relative, I suppose, but I counted them the other night and I am on track for finishing up that group of masks before the end of the year. Must. Stay. Focused. ๐Ÿ˜

@itsfi  You're probably doing better than I am at using up all pre-2020 masks. I mean, I still have more of those years-old (way past expiration) Farmacy masks to use up, for cryin' out loud. ๐Ÿ˜‚ You've got this! You can do it! ๐Ÿ‘

I was supposed to be on a lipstick low/no-buy last year. 100% failed that. Was going to try again this year, but Pat McGrath and MAC are not helpingโ€”and let's pretend my Lipstick Day purchases didn't even happen. ๐Ÿคฆโ€โ™€๏ธ So now I must decide which low-buy (because I know no-buy won't happen) to seriously attempt for the rest of the year: lipstick or masks. I think I'll have much better luck with masks. 

@WinglessOne, ohhh, those older Farmacy masks!! I had packs of those, I think I have a box left as well. Iโ€™ve been using them as pseudo DIY foot masks. Wrap โ€˜em around my feet, cover โ€˜em up, and spend some time returning emails. ๐Ÿ˜† Itโ€™s made going through them go by more quickly and gives me time to get through my emails. Ha!

What National Lipstick Day haul? ๐Ÿ˜‰ Never happened. ๐Ÿ˜† Oh my goodness, I donโ€™t envy you at all having to decide what to put on a low buy and what to put on a no buy. Masks in general have been on my no buy list for most, if not the entire year, with a couple of planned intermissions and one (or maybe it was two?) instance where I fell off the wagon. ๐Ÿ˜” Iโ€™m going to try to add lippies, brushes and candles to the no buy thru Labor Day; well, everything is on that no buy except food and 2 things from the Nordstrom sale, but those particular beauties, especially lippies and brushes, are the more challenging ones for me to avoid picking up. ๐Ÿ˜ฌ I picked up a few things the last week of July that will make their way here throughout the month so that should help with the buying, or thatโ€™s what I try to tell myself anyways. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚ 

@itsfi Ugh, Nordstrom's anniversary sale... I've tried so hard to ignore my early access status... soooo hard... I do have a cart but haven't pulled the trigger. Some items in there aren't even part of the sale. ๐Ÿ˜‚ I need to remove some things and remind myself I still have one more Rouge Reward for things I can also get at Sephora. At least there aren't any masks in my Nordy cart! I'd say I'm done with brushes but I do plan to pick up one of the Luxie sets during this sale. I think I'm done buying Japanese handmade brushes for the rest of the year, though. I hope you're able to resist new brushes! I know the struggle. 

The old Farmacy masks do make nice foot masks. ๐Ÿ™‚ They also adhere well to my neck, and the hydrating and soothing varieties feel nice on my shoulders. At some point, I'll open some of my other old masks and (if they're still good) squeeze the serum from them into bottlesโ€”especially for any sheets that don't fit me very well or aren't super comfy. I go through bottled serum/essence much faster than sheet masks. 

Ohhh, oops. So sorry I mentioned the Nordy sale @WinglessOne๐Ÿค Yaaaay, for no masks in your shopping cart - well, I never thought I'd say that. ๐Ÿคฃ I've cut down significantly on my Nordstrom spending over the last couple of years, so early access starts for me tomorrow. Like you, I'm just picking up things that I can't otherwise get through Sephora or elsewhere. If things go according to plan, I'll only pick up 2, maybe 3 items, if they're still around. If not, nothing for me . . . but I can't promise not to re-think the non-sale items I have on my wish list. Ha! 

What's this... Luxie brushes, you say? I've never tried the brand but have seen a few people on BIC post some good feedback of them. 

Wallet: NO. Fi, you don't need them!

Me: I was just asking about them. Sheesh. Hahaha!

I have a weakness for brushes, but I really shouldn't be picking any up during the sale. There are a couple of individual Sonia G. brushes I'd like to pick up if / when they restock on Beautylish. I always have an eye on Japanese handmade brushes - the craftsmanship is just exquisite. What I need to do is go through my brushes as a visual reminder that I don't need more. I have one face, and it isn't wearing a full face of makeup as often these days. 

It's so much fun shopping with the Rouge rewards! Congrats on grabbing one. Happy shopping!

I don't think I've tried a Yerma mask before. It sounds at least like this one is at least helpful for some immediate soothing of red or irritated skin, @WinglessOne.

@WinglessOne  Hmm, I've never heard of Yerma and I also never knew that Ubiquinone is the same thing as coenzyme Q10! I think I've only used one Q10 mask before (from the Creme Shop) and actually really enjoyed it! Glad this one turned out decent! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Thin milky serum sounds great @WinglessOne 

F is for Focus and Fresh Food 

Spoiler
I tried out the Deeep Focus white action complex mask. This was a super interesting two part mask. There are two eye patches and then a normal sheet mask went overtop. The mask itself smells โ€œmaskyโ€, was generally a good fit, and was super creamy and well Saturated. The super interesting thing is that the eye patches dissolve! I wore the mask for about 20 minutes and the patches had fully dissolved at that point. So in terms of whitening/brightening, this is extremely impressive. I was really surprised at how visible the brightening was, especially under my eyes!! It is quite tacky though - itโ€™s still a bit tacky like an hour later. I would still definitely use it again. 

the fresh food one was meh imo. Fit was okay, a bit narrow. It was saturated well but it did have a sort of chemically scent - I was expecting a fruity scent given the packaging. It wasnโ€™t particularly plumping - I donโ€™t really feel it did anything 

F1113F17-2657-42A6-97E5-69630ED95F8A.jpeg

โ€ƒ

4882AD17-EB3D-4ABC-890F-4764C5B0B018.jpeg

โ€ƒ

I laughed at the "masky" scent feedback and then I thought, is that good or bad, @Kim888? I love using eye gel patches underneath my sheet mask, especially when I morning mask, but it is so interesting that the eye patches in this mask dissolve!!! Interesting that your undereye area stayed tacky for so long.

That's too bad about the Cranberry mask being more meh, @Kim888 but at least the Deep Focus sounds like it turned out well!

@Kim888  Oooh, the Deeep Focus Mask sounds great! I've heard of dissolvable eye patches before, but haven't yet tried them! They sound interesting...and fun! I love that you described the scent as "masky" haha! It's not as good as fresh & fruity, but it could definitely be worse! 

Dissolving eye patches is so interesting @Kim888 What will mask creators think of next?!

Wish it had a fruity scent too @Kim888 chemical scents are not appealing

Mornin' maskers! ๐Ÿ‘‹ The "blind pick" theme is one of my favorites of the masking challenge. Thank you @veronika23 (hope you are well! Miss you!) My blind picks are not completely random though. Except for being dehydrated year-round, my skin can, at times, be sensitive. This week and part of last week has been one of those times. So instead of just reaching into my bin of masks and just picking a mask, I decided to make a game of it.  ๐Ÿ˜Š Though I'd probably make a game of it even if my skin wasn't being so picky highly selective. This time, I reached for my bag of Scrabble tiles, closed my eyes and drew a tile . . . and M it is! 
Mediheal.jpeg
M is for moisturizing, Mediheal, magic?, and multi-masking - I applied The Ordinary Salicylic Acid 2% Masque 1.7 oz/ 50 mL (not pictured) (thanks again @PrettyPaint!) on a couple of spots an let it sit for a few minutes before applying the sheet mask. I will do this with my spot treatment masks or place an acne dot over my blemishes before layering a sheet mask on top.  

Spoiler
Mediheal N.M.F. Intensive Hydrating Mask is not a new mask to me, but this particular one is - Mediheal reformulated and repackaged a few of their sheet masks. In addition to the new look, the mask itself also has a new feature - the mask, which is said to be made out of 100% cotton linter, is pressed with "MEDIHEAL" in various places. You can see the imprint of the mark when you first pull the mask out of the packet. The idea is that the "MEDIHEAL" becomes more visible when the "treatment is complete." I'm pretty sure that's a fancy way of saying that it shows up when it's time to remove the mask, but it seems like you'd know without the imprinted name becoming visible, either by keeping track of your wear time (directions recommend 10-20 minutes) or by feeling / seeing that the mask is drying up. I could see this new feature being helpful for those new to sheet masks though.  

Material, Adherence & Fit
I can't recall whether this is the first time I've heard of a mask's material being identified as cotton linter. According to SpringerLink (an online resource containing scientific, technological and medical journals, books and reference works), cotton linters are the "relatively short fuzz left on cottonseed after the cotton ginning process [and] is the purest cellulose in chemistry having hundreds of end uses." 

Here, the material of the mask is soft, thin and adheres beautifully to the skin and wore comfortably for the nearly 40 minutes I had it on my currently dehydrated-combo skin (oily T zone, dry cheeks). Fit was excellent - I only had to snip off an inch from the bottom; I didn't have to make any incisions or adjustment to the holes for the eyes or mouth! 

Performance:
I generally keep a sheet mask on for 20-30 minutes and typically around that mark, most masks are still damp and certain areas of the mask start leaning on the drier side of damp at that point. I don't usually keep a mask on until it's completely dried out; in part because I've read that longer doesn't necessary mean better. I wanted to see how IF the "MEDIHEAL" would be visible so I checked the mask every so often after the 20-minute mark. I first started seeing it around the 25-minute mark but the mask still had plenty of the clear, watery, clean-scented essence containing several good-for-your-skin ingredients. Half of the strip of material right above my lip was almost completely dry and I could see the MEDIHEAL imprint clearly after about 38 minutes. So the imprint does show up. The mask claims to be moisturizing and to provide intense hydration and it delivered. Between the two though, I'd say it's more hydrating than moisturizing. My skin looked clear, fresh faced and even though my eyes felt a wee bit tired, my face, thankfully, didn't look it. Mediheal's sheet masks are ones that work well for my skin; I don't know if there's a mask within the collection that I would say is supremely stellar, in that it's one I have to haul backups of immediately, but most I have used have been in the repurchase category and the same holds true for this one. 

Ingredients:  from medihealus (dot) com
Spoiler
Water (Aqua/Eau), PEG/PPG-17/6 Copolymer, Glycereth-26, Glycerin, 1,2-Hexanediol, Willow (Salix Alba) Bark Extract, Butylene Glycol, Xanthan Gum, Hydroxyethyl Urea, Panthenol, Trehalose, Betaine, Arginine, Polysorbate 80, Carbomer, Allantoin, Adenosine, Disodium EDTA, Frankincense (Boswellia Serrata) Resin Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Cabbage Rose (Rosa Centifolia) Flower Water, Green Purslane (Portulaca Oleracea) Extract, Polyglutamic Acid, Witch Hazel (Hamamelis Virginiana) Water, Sweet Almond (Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis) Seed Extract, Mushroom (Fomes Officinalis) Extract, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice, Beta-Glucan, Glutamic Acid, Phenylalanine, Glutamine, Proline, Alanine, Fragrance (Parfum)

Love Mediheal, @itsfi! I don't think I've tried one of the reformulations yet but the idea of using visual cues with the imprint on the mask is an interesting one. I can definitely see that being helpful for newer maskers or even for multitasking maskers who might not being paying particular attention to the clock or how the mask is feeling against their skin. 

@quspork, do you have any favorites from the brand? I noticed that they have in the past done a lot of collabs - with Line Friends characters and BTS, but the collabs seem to be with new packaging and not necessarily new masks. I was surprised to learn from this new redesign that the left side of the area above my upper lip is the first to dry out. I would have put money on it being my cheeks first, which, itโ€™s a good thing I didnโ€™t actually put money on that. ๐Ÿ˜† 

@itsfi  Love it! Such a creative way to incorporate the theme!

I agree, the Mediheal masks I've tried have been nice, but nothing super amazing.

It's funny, I remember seeing the word MEDIHEAL on a mask I did once, but I didn't read the directions and didn't realize it had a purpose! Haha! I'll have to watch out for that when I use my other masks from the brand ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜ƒ

testing