Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

As much as I love my tinted balms for day time, I love the untinted for night time!  I'm glad you liked this one @itsfi !

And a cooling mask is always great for the summer!

100% agree @missjeanie! ๐Ÿ‘Š๐Ÿผ The Bioderma is also a nice one to apply on my lips in the morning before I start my skincare routine. Makes my lips soft, smooth and moisturized by the time I get to my lippie, if Iโ€™m wearing one for the day. Thanks again! A new found Bioderma love!

@itsfi everything about the S.O.S. mask sounds so refreshing. I've tried a couple others from the band, but this one seems like it takes the cake! That Bioderma is such a great balm, I completely agree that it has ample longevity ๐Ÿ™‚

Jelly masks are great @eshoe! ๐Ÿ˜

thanks for reminding me of these.....quick search....amaz...

thanks for reminding me of these.....quick search....amazon...ordered. @itsfi ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคทhad to! i enable you with lippies, you enable me with masks

Re: thanks for reminding me of these.....quick search....amaz...

Love it @sonnydee! โ™ฅ๏ธ The enabling is alive and well! ๐Ÿ˜‚ 

@itsfi Houttuynia cordata is one of my skin's favorite ingredients. I always call it heartleaf. ๐Ÿ™‚ Anyway, this mask sounds like a winner! So does the lip balm! 

@WinglessOne, it, mugwort, madecassoside and cica seem to be ones that work well together for soothing, calming and being an anti-inflammatory. I need to look to see if I have a serum or essence with all those ingredients in them.

This morning I reached into my bin of one-off sheet masksโ€”those I bought only one of, or received just one as GWP, or got one of as a gift from someoneโ€”and blindly pulled this one. It happens to fit this weekโ€™s letters theme, soโ€ฆ 

F = โ€œfirst treatmentโ€ and fermentation: Missha Time Revolution The First Treatment Essence Mask. 

Now this is a mask I'm glad I only had one of.Now this is a mask I'm glad I only had one of.

Notes: 

Spoiler

Claims: Brightens skin and reduces signs of aging (specifically wrinkles). 

Ingredients: Iโ€™ve had this mask for a while but put off using it because it contains kava kava (piper methysticum) and acetic acid, 2 things Iโ€™m not keen to add to my face. The latter is near the end of the list, thank goodness, but the former is higher up than Iโ€™d like. 

Misshia spotlights the 2 yeast ferments in this mask, but thereโ€™s lots of other good stuff hereโ€”much of which has more scientific proof of efficacy than yeast ferment. I see lots of anti-inflammatories: licorice root, purslane, ulmus davidiana root, cassia alata (candle tree), cica, chamomile, rosemary leaf extract, and phellodendron amurense (aka amur cork tree) bark which is also anti-bacterial, particularly against acne-causing bacteria. All these skin soothers make me feel a bit better about the 2 not-so-great ingredients I mentioned earlier. 

Also present are several hydrators: ulmus davidiana, beet root, raffinose, sodium hyaluronate, zinc PCA (which can also help control oil production), glycerin, and lactic acid. Iโ€™m guessing amaranth seed is here as an emollient moisturizer. Skin brightening arbutin is quite high on the list. I wish wrinkle fighting adenosine was also higher, but Iโ€™m glad to see it included at all. 

Spoiler

Saccharomyces Ferment Filtrate, Water, Propanediol, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Arbutin, Polyquaternium-51, Bifida Ferment Lysate, Ulmus Davidiana Root Extract, Raffinose, Amaranthus Caudatus Seed Extract, Piper Methysticum Leaf/Root/Stem Extract, Centella Asiatica Extract, Beta Vulgaris (Beet) Root Extract, Portulaca Oleracea Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Phellodendron Amurense Bark Extract, Cassia Alata Leaf Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Pentylene Glycol, Hydrolyzed Corn Starch, Adenosine, Ethylhexylglycerin, Glycerin, Acetic Acid, Lactic Acid, Zinc PCA, Xanthan Gum, Betaine, Sodium Metabisulfite, Phenoxyethanol 

Performance: This mask comes in 2 thick, soft, cotton pieces. The top piece needed eyehole trimming at the inner corners but fit fine elsewhere. The bottom piece stretched enough to cover my whole jaw, but it had an attached neck piece. Rarely do attached neck pieces work for me, and this one was much too short to cover more than maybe 1 inch of my neckโ€”and I have a very short neck. I cut the neck piece off and wrapped it around my neck. It didnโ€™t want to stay put no matter how still I kept my head, so I had to re-attach one or both ends every couple minutes. โ€œF Uโ€ theme, indeed. ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฌ

Both sheet pieces were fully saturated in serum that smelled faintly of very diluted white vinegar. Iโ€™m surprised there wasnโ€™t any serum left in either section of the sleeve. I wore the whole mask for 25 minutes before getting completely fed up with the neck piece and yanking it off. I removed the rest of the mask a couple minutes later and spent just 1-2 minutes massaging residual serum into my skin, with no pilling afterward and very slight tack. 

Results: Mildly brighter and moderately hydrated skin. My face wasn't plumply hydrated, so I could still see plenty of fine lines. But my skin didn't feel dry. The pores in my oily zone (on and around my nose) looked a bit smaller and softer. This mask did nothing for my surface redness, despite all its included skin soothers. I had to apply my COSRX cica serum to address that. 

Overall, this mask was quite underwhelming. Maybe I expected too much because of various good ingredients, I dunnoโ€ฆ Iโ€™ve never used Misshaโ€™s cult favorite Time Revolution essence, so I certainly had no expectations based on that. I guess I'd eventually see results if I used this mask 3 times a week for at least 2 months but nope, not doing that when I have so many better masks to choose from. Iโ€™m very surprised I didnโ€™t get any noticeable soothing/anti-inflammation action from this mask. 

Still, I canโ€™t call this mask a total pass because it did brighten and hydrate. Hmmโ€ฆ have you ever tried a hyped-up wine and thought โ€œit tastes okay but itโ€™s not Earth shatteringโ€ฆ Iโ€™ve had restaurant house/table wine better than thisโ€? Thatโ€™s this mask. 79-80 points on the wine tasting scale. 

@WinglessOne what a let down!! Sorry you had a blah experience

Well I saw your photo and thought, "Oooooh - this is going to be good!" And then your caption, and my heart sank. First, this is the first I've heard of a two-part cotton mask, I believe. That seems like it might not work too well, and....sounds like nope, it didn't (also, those letters) ๐Ÿ˜•

I just started using the Essence, and thanks to your review, I will not bother with the mask. What a disappointment. Also, I just ordered some color-coding dots to better organizing my rotation, and thought of you ๐Ÿ™‚

@eshoe The 2-part mask would've worked much better had the bottom part not had that dang attached neck piece. Once I cut that off, I had a 3-part mask and began questioning my life choices after the 4th time that 3rd (neck) part tried to escape. 

I hope the Time Revolution essence works out for you! And I'd love to see your color coded rotation solution! That sounds like a great way to organize! ๐Ÿ™‚ 

I would *think* that a mask with an added neck part would benefit from the extra โ€˜attachmentโ€™ of the top part, @WinglessOne. It just seems like gravity would work at pulling the bottom half down on its own, if that makes any sense. The natural contour of the face would also help prevent slippage, you know? 

I think designating a color for the type of mask/product I use will help me see at a glance where I need to amend or modify my routine. @haleyvvvv has a daily schedule that besides you, also inspired me to set up a more consistent routine. Right now itโ€™s very loosely Sun/Mon = detox mask, and thatโ€™s it. I feel like I could be doing more or at least a better job with pinpointing what my skin needs by now, and hope ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿผthis will help!

This is very kind, @eshoe!! It's all about what your skin needs, and mine likes a routine; and also to not think too hard about which mask for which day/need. 

It's a shame this one was underwhelming, @WinglessOne

@quspork Eh, at least it saves me $7-10 USD on another single of this mask. ๐Ÿ‘ 

Absolutely, @WinglessOne - always better to spend that money on something better performing!

@WinglessOne That's disappointing - I feel like I have had weirdly high expectations when I've seen this mask floating around as well. It's hard with a sheet mask - you want instant results - not something you have to use for weeks to see 

@Kim888 Right? If I wanted a serious longterm results commitment with a mask serum, I'd skip the mask part and just buy the bottled serum. ๐Ÿ˜„ 

hahahha๐Ÿ˜‚ I thought the same thing about this week's lett...

hahahha๐Ÿ˜‚ I thought the same thing about this week's letters F and U and also my mask last night. this is a good week to use your one-offs bin๐Ÿ˜‰@WinglessOne

Re: hahahha๐Ÿ˜‚ I thought the same thing about this week's lett...

@sonnydee Hopefully I'll find a Fabulous Underrated mask in my one-offs for this week's theme, instead of another F U mask. ๐Ÿคฃ

1 Reply
testing