Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

💕😌 2024 Masking Challenge 😌💖

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a 💰mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks💗

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

@itsfi I wasn't able to find it. But I saw some that looked really cool. 

Ohhhh ohhhh @itsfi looks like I'll have to check it out

You can definitely lose a few hours on masksheets, @lmaster 😂 I’ve ordered from them too, been very pleased:) @itsfi 

Haha!! @eshoe 🤣

@lmaster, have fun, hon! 🛍🛍🛍

@Samtian  Glad to hear this worked out so well for you despite it expiring! 😃👍
Just curious, do you recall what it smelled like? 

@Shosh85 my notes say it had a light floral scent and my grade was an A- if that helps.

@Shosh85 I don't recall a smell. 

Last night I used the Shangpree Marine Jewel Hydrating Mask. 

I almost wish the sheet was this sleeve's deep blue violet color instead of white.I almost wish the sheet was this sleeve's deep blue violet color instead of white.

Notes: 

Spoiler

Claims: Softens and deeply hydrates skin. 

Ingredients: If there are mermaids living on land and walking among us, they probably use this mask. It’s full of sea water, 5 algae extracts, pearl, oyster, chitosan, sodium DNA (that’s DNA extracted from a part of salmon that's a BIC bad word—because I guess standard medical/biological terminology is bad 🙄—and treated with sodium hydroxide) and sea whip (a good anti-inflammatory extract taken from corals)—all to make mermaids ashore feel at home again. Plus, the 4 types of hyaluronic acid should hydrate their skin, which probably dries out easily when they’re out of the sea. 

I wonder if the oyster extract is from the meat or shell of oysters. That’s an investigation spiral for later. 😄 

Spoiler

Water, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, 1,2-Hexanediol, Bis-PEG-18 Methyl Ether Dimethyl Silane, Beta-Glucan, Sea Water, BHT, Propanediol, Sodium Hyaluronate Crosspolymer, Hydrolyzed Glycosaminoglycans, Benzyl Glycol, Pentylene Glycol, Hydrolyzed Hyaluronic Acid, Ecklonia Cava Extract, Hizikia Fusiforme Extract, Algae Extract, Oyster Extract, Chitosan, Pearl Extract, Spirulina Platensis Extract, Plankton Extract, Ethylhexylglycerin, Sodium DNA, Sea Whip Extract, Hyaluronic Acid, Raspberry Ketone, Caprylyl Glycol, Xanthan Gum, Carbomer, Tromethamine, Hydroxyacetophenone, PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Sodium Hyaluronate, Trideceth-10, Allantoin, Tocopheryl Acetate, Fragrance 

Performance: This very thin sheet had a blue mesh backing that made unfolding easier. Once unfolded, I removed the mesh and found it loaded with serum, so I re-folded the mesh and pressed/patted it onto my neck. Then I applied the sheet to my face. It fit me very well: large enough eyeholes with inner corner notches, perfect overall length, all the holes lined up with my facial features, and nearly all my jaw was covered. 

This mask had a fresh warm floral scent and felt moderately cooling on my face. I thought the persistent fragrance would eventually grate my sinuses or trigger a headache, but it wasn’t quite strong enough for that, thank goodness. Still, this isn’t a mask I’d recommend to folks for whom floral scents are migraine or headache triggers. 

I wore the sheet for 35 minutes. It was still fairly wet, so I squeezed 1/4 handful of serum from it and applied that to my chest. I spent 2-3 minutes massage-pressing all residual serum into my skin. I had no pilling and moderate tack. 

Results: Bright and well hydrated skin. Fine lines were mostly plumped away, but a few stubbornly remained visible. My face looked calmer, which a bit of redness still visible around my nose and some new acne. My skin felt a bit moisturized as well, but I still applied my usual YTTP Superfood Moisturizer to lock in hydration. This morning, my skin still felt and looked hydrated and calm. 

I have 2 more varieties of Shangpree’s Marine Jewel mask line. All 3 of these masks share many ingredients, so it’ll be interesting to see if they affect my skin differently. Meanwhile, this Hydrating variety is… hmm… a 90-91 point pinot noir, or maybe a cru beaujolais. You know, beaujolais doesn’t get as much respect as it deserves, especially when you get into the “villages" and “cru" classifications. There are some wonderful red (and white) wines in those categories, especially the crus which are the most structured beaujolais wines you can get. They’re usually drinkable young, but aging a cru beaujolais for up to 10 years (or longer) can get you a dang good pinot noir dupe for less money. ANYway, those wines are generally lush and tasty and very easy to over-drink, and that’s what this mask reminds me of for some reason. 

As always I love you wine comparison @WinglessOne. The packaging is beautiful and the mask sounds good to me!

@WinglessOne  I’m sure if mermaids did walk with us they would totally use that mask! I love the packaging and I’m glad it was hydrating!!

@WinglessOne both my daughter I drank up your review 🧜🏻‍♀️ I saw this on one of your hauls and was curious; happy to see it here! Yes-an Ultramarine or even a plain ol’ navy sheet would make this particularly interesting. With some silver, , lots of potential! 

Besides all of the frivolity, sounds like a decent mask. I am curious about your risk-happy methodology of buying multipacks of never-tried-before masks, though. I had one too many mehs and now stick to one-offs for the most part🤷🏻‍

At any rate, thank you for all of the in-depth details. Helps me plan out my future mask purchases!

@eshoe  I originally wanted to buy just 1 or 2 of each mask in this line. I like to buy new-to-me masks 2 at a time so I can test them twice. (Weather/temperature and skin condition changes can affect my results, especially with certain types of masks.) And with Shangpree, you really need to make sure you're not buying counterfeits. Peach & Lily carries Shangpree single masks, but this variety was out of stock at the time. Jolse carries them by the box, and they're cheaper per mask that way (5 to a box) except that, well, you're buying 5 instead of just 1. My inner raven said "eh, if you're gonna buy a box of this one, might as well buy the other 2 varieties by the pretty box as well!" 😄 

Sometimes I buy boxes instead of singles so I'll have a few extras to gift to other folks. In fact, whenever I buy a box of masks I've never used before, I figure I can give the rest away if they don't work well for me. (I've gifted many The Creme Shop masks after buying boxes of them at TJ Maxx or Marshalls.) Hopefully my ingredients-driven approach to mask buying reduces the number of dud boxes I end up with, but even then, sometimes a mask with good ingredients and no bad stuff ends up performing under par for me. 🤦‍♀️

I like your 2 masks approach @WinglessOne. Sometimes when I use a mask I get the "why did I love this before?" or "why was I so critical before?" feelings and disconnect. So many things can impact a masking experience. Now I'll always be buying in pairs when I get to mask buy again. 😂

It’s good to hear about Jolse @WinglessOne; I’ve never ordered from them but see them pop up elsewhere with positive reviews. I like to try new sites once in a blue moon, though I tend to space those purchases out. 

We were just talking about Jeni’s today, I think two months is too long to go without good ice cream😁

@eshoe  There's never a bad time to buy more Jeni's! Enjoy your next batch of delicious ice cream! 

I've yet to have a problem with a Jolse order. Their free trackable shipping minimum is $40 USD. And they always add freebies to orders. (My last order contained the most freebies I've ever gotten from them.) They're a good retailer to consider. 🙂 

Thank you for the feedback on Jolse, I think I will take a peek next time I need to make a mask order. Freebies are fun, especially when you don’t know what they are, and even if you are receiving them!

@WinglessOne, the masks from this line are beautiful - packaging and results-wise! I really enjoy a lot of the Shangpree skincare products as well. It's great that this one scored so high for you! 😍 I'll be interested to know which of the 3 masks in this series you like best. Staying tuned...

Very interesting info on salmon @WinglessOne gorgeous packaging!

@WinglessOne  I love your review and the packaging on this is so pretty.

@WinglessOne  Ooooh, I love the packaging 😍 This mask sounds wonderful! - yet another line I need to try out! I've tried a couple masks with salmon sp3rm and really enjoyed them! 

1 Reply
testing