Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

With my move I had been all over the place with my skincare and masking. Well, I gave this mask a go the other night and I noticed my skin calm down even the next morning. Clearly I need to use more tea tree masks!โ€ƒ

20200727_092958.jpg

โ€ƒ

20200727_093048.jpg

The results on this one sound wonderful @l8totheparty! ๐Ÿ˜ Did this have a strong tea tree oil scent to it? 

Glad this mask worked so well, @l8totheparty!! I hope your move is going smoothly!!

Iโ€™m also in the camp of not knowing tea tree helps to calm, @l8totheparty - good to know! Hope your move has gone smoothly and things are getting settled for you.

You'll get back into the groove @l8totheparty. Sounds like a good one but I got to agree with @Shosh85 that I can't do a strong tea tree scent.

@l8totheparty  I don't love the Tea Tree scent, but I do love the benefits of it! Glad to hear this one turned out great! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@l8totheparty  Oh, nice! I have always just associated tea tree oil with clearing blemishes, but that's great that it can have soothing effects too.

I'm not into masking, but thought of all you folks when I saw this...

Screenshot_20200728-072246_Chrome.jpg

โ€ƒ

HA @sprocketta thatโ€™s impressive๐Ÿคฃ

@sprocketta  Haha! I love it! ๐Ÿ˜‚

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

The multi-masking theme is perfect for my mood right now. Last night I used the watermelon mask for the first time. Had kept it in the fridge before applying so it felt really nice on my skin. I just used a very thin layer to test this mask for my very sensitive skin. I'm on the fence about this mask. I have been using the Youth To The People Dream Mask for the last couple of weeks and love the results. This one felt very different. Didn't irritate my skin but just didn't have the same glow as YTTP mask and my skin felt a little dry. I will give the Glow Recipe a fair chance and use it again for the next few nights and probably use more product. Also avocado melt eye mask and Laneige lip mask to complete my overnight skincare masks. I also wore my foot mask overnight. Love the way my feet feel in the morning when I wear these overnight. Today I'm multi-masking for the fun of it. Pink clay mask (one of my favourite clay masks. My skin is so soft and zero redness after using), followed by a moisturizing mask, a freezing sheet mask and then an eye mask.

Wow, those are a lot of masks, @ladyassassin!! I love those SC feet masks. That Caudalie mask is on my to try list. How do you find it?

Wow, nice masking sessions, @ladyassassin! The Youth To The People Superberry Hydrate + Glow Dream Night Cream + Mask with Vitamin C 2 oz / 59 ml is a favorite around here, and itโ€™s easy to understand why. Iโ€™ve tried the Glow Recipe Watermelon + AHA Glow Sleeping Mask 2.7 oz/ 80 mL and found that as much as I loved the scent, it didnโ€™t do much for my skin (sadly). My skin never feels dry with the YTTP, either.

@ladyassassin ohhh that first set looks like it was probably the best smelling mask sesh!!

@ladyassassin  Looks like a great line up! I agree, that YTTP Dream Mask is sooo good - it's definitely hard to beat!

It's been awhile since I tried that Freezing mask- how did you like it? Seems like the perfect mask for the summer! ๐Ÿ˜ƒโ˜€๏ธ๐Ÿ‘

The freezing mask is great. I always keep a few on hand a...

The freezing mask is great. I always keep a few on hand and leave in the fridge even though they already have that cooling effect without being in the fridge. They are nice for those hot summer days too!

Multi-masking was the perfect theme to follow last night. Over the last 3 or 4 days, I was very lazy about skincare. Within that timeframe, I went 48 hours without washing my face at all, except for a quick wipe-down with a Koh Gen Do wipe one morning. ๐Ÿ˜ฌ I hadnโ€™t exfoliated in at least 4 days and Iโ€™d skipped 2 retinol nights. So, last night I was in full maintenance mode: 

4 of the 5 masks I used last night (yes, the lip scrub counts as a mask, at least the way I use it).4 of the 5 masks I used last night (yes, the lip scrub counts as a mask, at least the way I use it).

Quick notes on everything but the sheet mask: 

Spoiler
  • SEPHORA COLLECTION Clean Lip Balm & Scrub Dragonfruit - applied it as a moisturizing + antioxidant lip mask, left it on during the oat mask (see next bullet), and rinse-wiped it off along with that mask. This new โ€œclean" version feels less waxy than the old "dirty" version, but also less scrubby. Not sure I like that tradeoff. I'll have to use this new version a few more times before deciding. 
  • The INKEY List Oat Makeup Removing Cleansing Balm 5 oz/ 150 mL as an oat mask - Iโ€™ve reviewed this balm in this thread before. I used it last night to cut through all the oil on my face and help calm my skin, then left it on my face. 10 minutes later, I rubbed my usual PM cleanser (Paulaโ€™s Choice Hydralight) over this mask and rinsed everything off for happily soft and clean skin. 
  • The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Exfoliating Peeling Solution 1 oz/ 30 mL - this was my first time using it, though I had the unopened bottle in my Try It box for months. I went the full 10 minutes before rinsing it off. Thankfully, it didnโ€™t burn my face off like I feared it would. In fact, I think I heard my face say โ€œaaaah thank you, I so needed this peelโ€ after I rinsed it off. Will definitely keep this peel in once-a-week (or once every other week) rotation. It doesn't scare me anymore! 
  • A sheet mask - details on that in a bit. 
  • Drunk Elephant F-Balmโ„ข Electrolyte Waterfacial Mask 1.69 oz/ 50 mL (received as gratis from Sephora) - okay, technically I don't use this as a sleep mask. I occasionally use it as a moisturizer, and only during warm weather because it fails miserably in colder temps. Last night I figured it'd be a good fairly lightweight hydrating + moisturizing layer after my humectant sheet mask. 

The sheet mask was LuLuLun Hokkaido Premium Mask - Honey. Since I must limit my topical use of honey, this will likely be my only honey product for the week. 

I might need to hunt down more boxes of this mask.I might need to hunt down more boxes of this mask.

Sheet mask notes: 

Spoiler

Claims: Hydrates, nourishes, and smooths skin; provides a fresh glow. 

Ingredients: Bees in Hokkaido made this maskโ€™s honey from linden flowers. Linden flower extract is full of antioxidants (specifically, flavonoids) and has water-binding properties. I donโ€™t know how much (if any) antioxidant goodness is lost during the conversion from nectar to bee spit, but we all know the skincare benefits of honey so, one way or another, this has to be a good thing. 

The back of this sleeve is written in Japanese, so I had to translate this ingredients list. Itโ€™s a refined mix of the Google Translate app (via photo scan on my iPhone), Chromeโ€™s translator (via LuLuLunโ€™s Japanese site), a bit of searching/checking to figure out a couple of obviously mistranslated words, and a fun bit of โ€œhow much Japanese do I even remember from 20 years ago?โ€ (Once upon a long time ago, I had conversant/advanced beginner proficiency in Japanese language.) Anyway, thatโ€™s why this list says โ€œtea leaf extractโ€ instead of a specific type of tea. ๐Ÿ˜„ I assume itโ€™s green tea but Iโ€™ll leave it generic. 

Spoiler

Water, glycerin, propanediol, honey, gentian root extract, tea leaf extract, perilla leaf extract, glycyrrhizic acid 2K, xanthan gum, sodium citrate, citric acid, PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil, methylparaben, phenoxyethanol, fragrance, BG* 
*Included as additives for plant extracts. 

Performance: This mask uses LuLuLunโ€™s old style of sheet, with eyehole inner corner notches and tall nose slits. I can usually stretch this type of sheet enough to cover my whole jaw, and that worked great for this honey mask. The eyeholes were a bit smaller than Iโ€™d like but, thanks to the notches, no material overlapped my eyes so I did no trimming. 

The sheet was full of clear watery serum. I got a handful of extra serum from the sleeve, which I pressed over the sheet on my face and applied to my neck and chest. This mask has a light scent thatโ€™s surprisingly not the honey bomb I expected. It smells much more like linden flowers than honey. Since lindenโ€™s one of my favorite scents, I didnโ€™t mind it at all. My skin tingled a bit in a couple places under this mask, probably thanks to that 30% AHA peel I used earlier. 

I went 30 minutes with this mask and spent 4 minutes massaging and pressing residual serum. Then I wrung the still-wet sheet and got nearly a handful of additional serum. I patted and pressed 3 layers of that into my oily zone (on and around my nose), undereyes, and cheeksโ€”the places my skinโ€™s been very dehydrated lately, due to my skincare laziness. That took another 5-10 minutes. After all that, my dry finger test caused no pilling. I did have a lot of tack though, even in areas thatโ€™d only gotten one layer of serum. Thatโ€™s unsurprising since this is a honey mask. 

Results: Calm, plump, hydrated, and glowy skin. Seriously, this mask is a glow maker. My surface redness was greatly reduced, though not completely gone. All my forehead fine lines were nearly plumped away: I needed a 10x mirror to see them at all. My undereye lines were softened. Best of all, the angry flaky dry patches in my oily zone were gone and my nose actually looked hydrated instead of greasy-yet-dry. (Anyone with dehydrated oily skin knows what I mean.) 

I didnโ€™t rush for moisturizer, as I could feel my skin drawing moisture from the air. This is now the second honey mask thatโ€™s had the desired humectant effect on my skin, rather than let the air leach moisture from my skin. (The other one is the Abib Mild Acidic pH Sheet Mask - Honey Fit.) After a few minutes, I misted my face, neck, and chest with cica water toner and then applied Drunk Elephant F-Balm as a moisturizer. 

This mask comes one to a sleeve, 5 sleeves to a box. I donโ€™t think itโ€™s available anymore but LLL might bring it back again, I dunno. Meanwhile, I wish Iโ€™d bought more than one box whenever I ordered theseโ€ฆ Iโ€™m not sure how long ago that was. Iโ€™ll have to save a couple to use this fall, and at least one for winter. 

Oooh, I hope this mask is brought back, @WinglessOne!! It sounds amazing!! 

Iโ€™m very curious how well the lip scrub will do over time, @WinglessOne. I have the โ€˜dirtyโ€™ version and it seemed like it went rancid after only a few months. 

Besides just how good the mask sounds, I love the compact packaging. It just seems mindful๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ

@WinglessOne Oh darn! It's a bummer these aren't available because it sounds wonderful! I always love the packaging on these. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@Shosh85  I just checked YesStyle and they have them! Hooray! They still have a few other LLL travel series varieties, too. 

LuLuLun released a cherry (sakura) premium mask this spring and I can't find it anywhereโ€”well, for a reasonable priceโ€”and I need to stop searching for it, because that only leads to buying all the other masks I find during my search. ๐Ÿคฃ

testing