Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

That LuLuLun mask sounds absolutely delightful, @WinglessOne ! Enjoy the rest of them ๐Ÿ˜Š

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

E for Expensive & Extreme measure Omorovicza UltraMoor mud mask Fit? it's a mud mask Smell?strong, herbal. You don't really smell it on Consistency? grey clay, but creamy. Easily spreadable with a brush Ease of use? it does dry & tighten. Not GG tight but it's noticeable.. Would I  purchase/try again?yes, I have a couple of DS & would buy a FS if I had to, when I'm out. Around the holidays they usually put out mask/products sets, this mask is expensive & a set makes the price a bit easier to swallow. A DS size would give you multiple applications. I only use it when my face is really acting up {Extreme measure} & its lasted me. ๐Ÿ–ค๐Ÿ–ค๐Ÿ–ค๐Ÿ–ค๐Ÿ–ค๐Ÿ–ค that price though๐Ÿ˜ฃ

I suppose itโ€™s time to start thinking about holiday sets, @sonnydee - this is a good reminder! The smaller jars are better for this brand, it seems-less chance they will expire before you can make it through the entire jar:)

@sonnydee  Definitely a hefty price tag, but I'm happy to hear this helps your skin!

Love your Eโ€™s for this mask @sonnydee! ๐Ÿ–ค The scent on Omorovicza products are stronger than I usually care for, but I will try to push through it most of the time for their masks!  ๐Ÿ˜‚ The holiday sets they put out are some of the best bang for your buck sets out there! Expensive but effective!! โ™ฅ๏ธ

Meant to use this trio during one of the โ€œBโ€ weeks (bubbles, bear & boscia) ๐Ÿ˜‰ but got busy with other things, so I decided to give โ€˜em a go for last weekโ€™s bubbling theme  (fun theme idea @Aaliaa! Hope you and your loved ones are well. Miss you!)

Bubble, Bears & boscia.jpeg

Spoiler

Bubbling masks are not ones I usually reach for, but I have found a few favorites, in both the wash-off version and the sheet mask/wash-off format.  The GlamGlow InstaMud @sonnydee used last week is my second favorite mask when it comes to the bubbling/foaming mask category. NO:HJ produces some nice sheet masks in pretty packaging. This NO:HJ Black Intracell Boosting Mask was from a subscription box and weโ€™re coming up on the due date (2 other D's for D week!). 

The NO:HJ Black Intracell Boosting Mask is a black charcoal rayon sheet mask saturated in a soft, grapefruit scented essence that begins to foam up very quickly once the mask is removed from the packet and exposed to air. The mask claims to remove dead skin cells, excess sebum and blackheads, as well as balance and moisturize the skin. That seems like a tall order, but also something that might be well suited for my currently dehydrated-combo (oily T-zone, dry elsewhere) skin. After the bubbles have formed, instructions call for removing the sheet mask, massaging the bubbles into the skin and then washing off the essence. 

I didn't experience any tingling or stinging from the essence, but as is the case with many bubbling masks, some foam came very close to my eye and nose during the 10 minutes I had on the mask. Interestingly, the bubbles that remain on my face transform into a soft cream of sorts as I massage it into my skin. It does take some effort to wash off the mask and I suggest doing so in the shower or having a wash cloth on hand to help with any film that remains after the initial efforts to rinse off the mask by splashing water on your face. Results are mixed for me. On the one hand, my face does feel cleansed after using this mask; that I find is common for bubble masks of this type. Also, the oilier parts of my face look and feel less oily. A plus in my book. On the other hand, the drier parts of my face as well as some of the less oilier parts feel tight, and dry. Sigh. ๐Ÿ˜” This seems better  suited for oilier skin types. 

The Miniso x Cartoon Network We Bare Bears Deep Hydrating Eyes Mask helped to add a little bit of hydration back, and I ended up going with a more hydrating/moisturizing skincare routine for the next few days afterwards to help keep my skin nourished. Thank you @keana1, the eye mask came in handy. In addition to the hydration boost, I love how thin the eye mask is and how soft it feels against the skin. ๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’• Before the stay-at-home, I was able to find a box of these at the local Miniso. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ 

@itsfi I never had issues with bubble masks being too drying until recently,, now I'm going to try to use a hydrating serum before applying the mask to see if that helps any

This is such a good tip, I need to remember it as well next time I use a bubble mask @lmaster @itsfi!

Yep @eshoe @itsfi I think that might help, @itsfi do you use a toner or mist before a bubble mask?

@lmaster, spritzing a mist on your face might help too. Instructions for most sheet masks usually say to apply toner or essence first. I normally apply my mask after my serums but with bubbling masks since I need to wash it off after, I use them right after cleansing. Keep us posted on if it helps to use a hydrating serum beforehand.

@itsfi ok just answered my question lol 

@itsfi yep! And I usually do, when I seen this was a wash off mask, I didn't even bother, now seeing what happened, I definitely will even with a bubble mask

Same here @lmaster! Though I also wonder if it would help if I cut down on the time I have on a bubble sheet mask? I'm sure I have another bubble sheet mask in my bin. I may try that next time, but maybe just keep it on until the foam covers most of my face? Hmmm... 

@itsfi I know the one I just used said 20 minutes, I think 10 would be more than sufficient

@itsfi  Love the triple B's!
All the bubble masks I've ever tried makes my skin feel tight and dry - too bad this one had the same results!

The We Bare Bears line is so cute! Glad to hear the eye patches performed well!

The We Bare Bears eye masks have been a lovely find @Shosh85. The materials is so thin that it clings to the skin, in a good way. Sad that the company is closing down.

Somehow I canโ€™t tolerate bubbling masks @itsfi ! I constantly worry about having bubbles reach my eyes ! Iโ€™m glad that enjoyed the eye mask and that you were able to find a box of them at Miniso ! Miniso Canada went bankrupt last year ๐Ÿฅบ

I feel the same way about bubbling masks @keana1. I much prefer them in the form of a tinted wash-off mask - that way I can see where it will start foaming and I can control placement of the mask. Miniso here was having financial trouble before covid and if Iโ€™m remembering right, it declared bankruptcy not long after most retail stores were closed due to the pandemic. 

Same thing is happening up here @itsfi ! Bummer for everyone! 

This afternoon I did a head-to-head with the new โ€œcleanโ€ and old โ€œdirtyโ€ versions of the Sephora Cucumber Eye Mask. 

New version on top, old version on bottom.New version on top, old version on bottom.

Notes: 

Spoiler

Claims: Soothes skin and reduces puffiness. 

Ingredients: Straight away, I wish the new โ€œcleanโ€ version contained some of the old versionโ€™s skin soothers (aloe, licorice root, horse chestnut). I donโ€™t know what ash tree bark (Fraxinus Excelsior Bark) extract is supposed to do in the old version, but I do know what niacinamide should doโ€”and Iโ€™m kinda bummed itโ€™s not in the new version. Also, note the dyes used in the new version that aren't in the old "dirty" version. 

On a positive note, the new version contains hydrating trehalose plus antioxidant-filled passion fruit and watermelon. In fact, it seems thereโ€™s more watermelon extract in the new cucumber eye mask than there is in the new watermelon face mask. ๐Ÿ˜‚ Go figure. 

Spoiler

New โ€œcleanโ€: Aqua (Water), Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Polyglyceryl-10 Laurate, 1,2-Hexanediol, Hydroxyacetophenone, Lecithin, Sodium Polyacrylate, Citrullus Lanatus (Watermelon) Fruit Extract, Glycosyl Trehalose, Parfum (Fragrance), Xanthan Gum, Hydrogenated Starch Hydrolysate, Sorbitan Caprylate, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Passiflora Edulis Fruit Extract, Phenoxyethanol, CI 19140 (Yellow 5), CI 42090 (Blue 1), Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, CI 16035 (Red 40) 

Old โ€œdirtyโ€: Aqua (Water), Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Niacinamide, Mannitol, 1,2 Hexanediol, Hydroxyacetophenone, Fraxinus Excelsior Bark Extract, Xanthan Gum, Ammonium Glycyrrhizate, Hydrolyzed Sclerotium Gum, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Glycolic Acid, Parfum (Fragrance), Caffeine, Potassium Citrate, Zinc Gluconate, Chenopodium Quinoa Seed Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Aesculus Hippocastanum (Horse Chestnut) Seet Extract, Silanetriol, Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid, Sodium Benzoate, Phenoxyethanol 

Performance: Both versions of these thin gel eye patches are sandwiched between mesh backing. The new patches seem to be the same size, shape, and thickness as the old ones. I stuck both of the new patches on the right side of my face and both old patches on the left side. I had patches under my eyes as an eye mask, plus on my nose area and cheek as a spot treatment mask. 

Old version of eye patches.Old version of eye patches.New version of eye patches.New version of eye patches.

The new patches are tinted green, probably from the green gel serum, while the old ones are white. Both sets of patches stayed in place quite well: no slipping or bunching. The old ones have some of that laundry detergent scent mixed with cucumber. The new ones smell much more like cucumber, thank goodness. Both sets felt fairly cooling on my face. I meant to wear these for just 15-20 minutes but accidentally went 40. By then, all 4 patches had given all they had: there was no residual serum left behind to massage in. One of the new patches did leave a little green dye on a small bit of skin in my oily zone thatโ€™s been flaking up today. A full fast mist of cica water toner helped me rehydrate and tap away the green. These eye patches left no tack or pilling behind. 

Results: The old and new patches depuffed my undereyes. Canโ€™t say one version depuffed better than the other; theyโ€™re equally fine. The old patches soothed more inflammation than the new ones, which is unsurprising considering the ingredients at play. Neither version of this eye mask tops my favorite eye patches but, eh, theyโ€™d be good fillersโ€”with a weartime caveat: donโ€™t go longer than maybe 15-20 minutes, lest the patches dry out on you.  

@WinglessOne what a great comparison you did here! Interesting and somewhat disappointing finds on the ingredients lists. Itโ€™s good to know that at least they work as well, though.

testing