Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

@Shosh85 Ooooh.  I like the name of this mask.  ๐Ÿ˜€

@tjffc  The name got my attention too and so did the refreshing-looking packaging! ๐Ÿ˜‹

@Shosh85  Sounds like a great mask!!

@ather  It was wonderful! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ‘

@Shosh85 I LOVED that mask!   Two months expired is probably alright in most cases.  I get a little hesitant around the four month mark.  

@heartsmyface Glad to hear you loved it too! I always hate to waste a mask if I don't have too - and I figured it was a good sign that it smelled great when I opened it ๐Ÿ‘

@Shosh85 the light grape scent and niacinamide is a winner all around!! Expired and all ๐Ÿ˜‰

It really was a nice one, @lmaster! I was somewhat worried I'd smell something rancid, so I was pleased it was a yummy grape scent ๐Ÿ˜‰

Hitting D and W is the Dr. Jart Water Replenishment Mask. 

Possibly the only Dr. Jart mask I can even consider using anymoreโ€”and even this one irritates me a bit. :(Possibly the only Dr. Jart mask I can even consider using anymoreโ€”and even this one irritates me a bit. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Notes: 

Spoiler

Claims: Replenishes moisture barrier; soothes and hydrates skin. 

Ingredients: Matricaria flower water at 2nd place is good! Witch hazel at 7th place is not. Collagen, ehโ€ฆ juryโ€™s still out on that. But hyaluronic acid, cactus flower, panthenol, and olive are sure bets. What really impresses me about this list is the absence of yucky essential oils Dr. Jart often puts in their masks. Added fragrance is present, but at least itโ€™s in last place. 

Spoiler

Water, Chamomillia Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Water, Butylene Glycol, 1,2-Hexanediol, Glycerin, PEG-32, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Extract, Glycereth-26, Sodium Hyaluronate, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Cereus Grandiflorus (Cactus) Flower Extract, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Extract, Panthenol, Polyphosphorylcholine Glycol Acrylate, Arginine, PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Ethylhexylglycerin, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance 

Performance: This stiff, medium-thick, cotton sheet was covered with nearly all the clear gel serum. All the holes fit fine, but there was enough bunching along the sides to make me cut a narrow wedge out of each side of the mask, between temple and jaw, and then pull the sheet together for a much smoother fit. The philtrum was slightly too tall but I didnโ€™t cut it shorter. 

This mask smelled like baby powder. Not annoying to me or strong enough to induce sneezing or headaches, but very present. Around the 10 minute mark, I started to feel pre-burn tingling on various parts of my face. I stuck it out for another 5 minutes before removing the sheet. It was so juicy, I couldโ€™ve gone a full 45 or more minutes with this mask if I wasnโ€™t worried about irritation. But nope, I only did a full 15 minutes and then spent 3 minutes massaging and pressing residual serum into my skin. I had no tack or pilling afterward. 

Results: Well hydrated and mildly dewy skin. My face wasnโ€™t as plumped up as itโ€™s been after some other hydrating masks, but it did feel hydrated and a bit moisturized. This mask didnโ€™t do much for my redness; eh, chamomile usually doesnโ€™t. Unfortunately, it also didnโ€™t soothe other irritation: I still felt a little tingling, especially anywhere Iโ€™d applied my 9% BHA spot treatment. To calm that down and moisturize my skin, I patted 2 drops of Herbivore Emerald CBD Oil on my whole face. 

Had this mask contained chamomile flower extract instead of water, and omitted witch hazel, it wouldโ€™ve caused less or no irritation. Since thatโ€™s not the case, this mask is a pass for me. I donโ€™t see this mask on Dr. Jartโ€™s site, so I assume theyโ€™ve discontinued it. I wouldnโ€™t buy it again even if it was still available. I have too many better hydrating masks that donโ€™t irritate my face. 

RE: Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

Hmmmm I didnโ€™t know cactus flower is such a promising ingredient, @WinglessOne. Iโ€™m going to have to keep my eyes out for that one. Thank you for the tip;)

@WinglessOne  Darn why must they use irritating ingredients 

@WinglessOne  I haven't been a big fan of the masks from this brand and there's only 2 that I'd repurchase if I saw TJ Maxx. If it's being discontinued, I guess it's a good thing you don't love it ๐Ÿ˜‰

D&W is for Darn Why Did I use this already When I just got it and it is so Darn good. 

20200723_000410.jpg

Spoiler
I mean, I know why I used it, way ahead of its experiration date. I got it in my grab bag mask haul and @Samtian and @ShortErica were talking about it having lip flaps and I was guardingly intrigued (but also, like, expecting to hate it because...lip flaps). Reading about the effects, though it would be nice to use following a more exfoliating mask Peter Thomas Roth Pumpkin Enzyme Mask 5 oz/ 148 mL.

This was all around just a lovely experience. My skin is a little sensitive and always loves getting pampered after my more exfoliating masks. I currently use Peter Thomas Roth Cucumber Gel Mask 5 oz/ 150 mL after, which I do not enjoy, so am always looking for an alternative. There's a heckin bunch of nice ingredients in here, including niacinamide, squalane, ferments and peptides. And even though it lists fragrance at the bottom, I didn't notice any scent.

There's a ton of serum (kinda goopy milky) in the packet, I spread it all over my body and my mask was very saturated. I like to wear most masks until the dry a bit, so I had this on for almost 90 minutes and even still parts of it still were a little damp. I rubbed in the serum and it was a teeny bit tacky for less than a few minutes.

Fit was surprisingly good. I even used the lip flap over my top lip, and it all held well and stayed in place for the whole time. Admittedly I was laying down, but I usually am for masking. I never have a good nose fit, though.

My skin was very soft, plump and glowing after. Definitely what was called for after my more intense exfoliation. Definitely will purchase a package of these going forward. A-/A.

Fit
Spoiler
20200723_000742~2.jpg
Ingredients
Spoiler
20200723_000402.jpg

RE: Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

Ahh this one is lovely, @haleyvvvv! Pleased to hear your skin loved it. This brand has been pretty good for my skin, too:)

Re: RE: Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

Thank you, @eshoe!! I'm definitely excited to try more from this brand.

@haleyvvvv  So awesome you loved this one!!! I have one in my drawer I may have to try it

Definitely when your skin needs a little extra tlc, you should pull it out, @ather!! 

@haleyvvvv  Happy to hear this was a winner for you! Mediheal makes some great masks!

Thank you, @Shosh85!! I have a bunch more to try that and I'm super excited!!

@haleyvvvv I'm so glad this one fit you and you loved it!!

Thank you, @Samtian!! I'm sorry the fit wasn't good for you. I have these little serum shots that are similar from the brand, so I will let you know how they work.

testing