Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

Now I kinda want to find this mask to try again and see if there is a lip flap @Samtian. Strange indeed

@ShortErica @Samtian I just got this in an epic mask haul from PinknBlossam, so I will report back later this week regarding flaps, lol. But yeah, if there are lip flaps, I don't see it being a winner.

Edit

the picture on the package implies a lip flap, I think. Maybe it got updated and now includes one.

20200722_102543.jpg

Darn, I wasn't as diligent with note-taking when I started masking so I have no idea if there was one or not @haleyvvvv then and it has been updated. Hmm..maybe I'll have to go thread hunting

@Samtian @haleyvvvv  - it did have a lip flap! Must not have bothered me. I wrote that I enjoyed it was not highly fragranced and was very moisturizing. Also the fit looks pretty good. Wow memories! I feel like I was so inexperienced and then @eshoe extended an olive branch to this awesome community that I'm really addicted to now ๐Ÿ˜

Capture.PNG

Awww thank you, @ShortErica. I feel the same way though...so many others helped me along the way:)

@ShortErica That looks like a way better fit than mine was! Yep lip flap lol.

@ShortErica If it wasn't in the trash I'd take a picture of it lol.

Hahaha, yeah no digging in the trash @Samtian 

For "Weird" week, this one is purple {changes color to lighter }& bubbles. This was fun! Not sure how effective it is, but it was fun! It wasn't to messy but after adding water, it just got thicker & more foamy so I did ended up using a cloth to rinse off. Will have to use this more before I rate . Afterwards I used my Supermud as a spot treatment.  It's a love, will buy a full size some day when I kill all my deluxes & foils. 

0720202144.jpg

โ€ƒ

Definitely agree that that Glamglow instamud one is fun, @sonnydee!! Less sure about effects, but definitely fun.

@sonnydee It's probably related to some childhood trauma in a bubble bath but I feel like I'm suffocating when I use bubble masks. Noooooo thank you. Glad you enjoyed it though! More for everyone else is what I say.

@sonnydee  As far as bubble masks go, this is one of my favorites! Glad you enjoyed it! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

That does sound fun @sonnydee and great for this week's theme. I pulled out a bubble mask as one of mine but color changing sounds even cooler.

@sonnydee I've never tried the bubbly glamglow, it does sound fun

I got it as a promo & have never tried it either!- until...

I got it as a promo & have never tried it either!- until tonight my project pan & part of my lower buy plan is to shop my stash. It's been a slower than expected process ๐Ÿ˜ especially the moisturizers @lmaster

W = winter, presented by one of my favorite mask brands. Last night I used the LuLuLun Premium 2019 Snow Mask. This is one of their seasonal limited edition masks that come 7 sheets to a resealable pouch. Nothing like a little wintery inspiration to help me through summer's heat! 

Last night was my first time ever using the Snow mask.Last night was my first time ever using the Snow mask.

Notes: 

Spoiler

Claims: Protects skin from environmental stress; replenishes essential vitamins and minerals; tones skinโ€™s oil balance; hydrates skin for a bouncy, smooth, and super soft feel. โ€œThe beauty essence of powerful plants [that] survived in winter weather [leads to] crystal clear skin.โ€ 

Ingredients: I bought this mask partly because I like to try all LuLuLun masks that seem safe for my skin (I canโ€™t/wonโ€™t use the citrus masks, though I bet the Premium Setouchi Lemon mask smells divine). But also because of hydrating ingredients in this one: trehalose, glyceryl glucoside, sodium PCA, and a form of hyaluronic acid. Narcissus bulb is supposed to act as an astringent here, helping balance oil production and reduce the appearance of pores. Saxifraga sarmentosa is also thought to be an oil-controlling astringent, as well as a skin brightener. 

3 other ingredients (coenochloris signiensis extract, maltodextrin, and lecithin) + water = Snow Algae Powder, which Mibelle Biochemistry (the company behind it) says โ€œstimulates the longevity gene Klotho and activates AMPK, a master switch in the cellular defense and energy system. Snow Algae Powder clearly improves skin structure, slows down aging process of skin cells and increases production of collagen.โ€ They have a mini site dedicated to Snow Algae Powder where you can read all about it, if youโ€™re curious. 

Spoiler

Water, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Glycosyl Trehalose, Hydrogenated Starch Hydrolysate, Glyceryl Glucoside, Sodium PCA, Hydroxypropyltrimonium Hyaluronate, Narcissus Tazetta Bulb Extract, Saxifraga Sarmentosa Extract, Coenochloris Signiensis Extract, Maltodextrin, Lecithin, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Xanthan Gum, Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Fragrance 

Performance: First, I need to warn anyone sensitive to vanilla amber fragrances that this mask is full of that scent. It was almost too much for my nose to handle, but didnโ€™t cause a sneezing fit or trigger a headache. Itโ€™s not super strong but youโ€™ll get a full whiff each time you turn your head. If your skin is sensitive to added fragrances in general, this probably isnโ€™t your mask. 

Since I use a lot of LuLuLun masks, I can (and often do) cut these sheets to best fit me before I apply them to my face. This oneโ€™s no exception: as soon as I unfolded this sheet, I snipped the eye and mouth holes wider. I also know LLLโ€™s sheets usually donโ€™t cover enough of my jaw, so that was no surprise last night. 

As hot as itโ€™s been lately, my skin happily welcomed this maskโ€™s cooling effectโ€”so much so, I lost track of time. Most LLL masks are meant to be worn for just 5-10 minutes. I tend to go 20-30 instead. Last night was an โ€œoops, look at the time" 40 minute session. The sheet was just lightly damp by then, perfect for folding up and patting residual serum into my skin. After a few seconds of that, I switched to my hands to massage and press in any remaining serum; took 2-3 minutes and left a very mild tackiness, with no pilling. 

Results: Well hydrated and slightly brighter skin with a soft natural glow. The vanilla fragrance still clung to my face, but not strong enough to smell with each head turn. I wouldnโ€™t have even noticed had I not pressed the back of one unscented hand against my cheek to check for residual perfume. The fragrance disappeared at some point overnight: I couldnโ€™t detect it at all this morning. 

Also, my oily zone was under control when I woke up. (โ€œUnder controlโ€ = not a shiny overproducing grease pit.) Even more impressive: all my dry zones felt like my controlled oily zone, as if moisturization fairies worked tirelessly through the night, carrying oil from my nose area to the rest of my face to bring everything into balance. Iโ€™m glad this was achieved with astringents my skin clearly likes, instead of bad-for-me stuff like citrus oils or witch hazel. 

This maskโ€™s ingredients were inspired by winter, but the results seem perfect (for me) for summerโ€”the time my face struggles most for this kind of balance without being overmoisturized. I only have one pouch of this maskโ€ฆ I might need to buy another one and reserve it for the next time I travel to someplace hot (when itโ€™s cold here), whenever that may be. 

@WinglessOne  Definitely sounds like I'd be great on a hot day! The packaging for these are always super cute too!

This pack looks so refreshing @WinglessOne I'm starting to appreciate cooler months more now ๐Ÿ˜†

@WinglessOne  Wow. Can it be an almost perfect mask for combo skin? Not sure about the scent. Sounds a little strong but Iโ€™m amazed it was good for your oily and dry skin!

@WinglessOne everyone of the Lululun masks have intrigued me. Your scent descriptions especially! Iโ€™ve finally tried one and have another yet, below. If the mask is good, seven days of it would be welcome. That being said, I wonder how sensitivity to scent throughout the week might come into play. Seems like some days my nose can tolerate anything and others, Iโ€™m hunting for a mask that comes up blank in that area.

Iโ€™m glad youโ€™ve reviewed a few of these, helped me feel confident enough to try something I usually wouldnโ€™t!

image.jpg

โ€ƒ

@eshoe  Glad I could enableโ€”err, pique your curiosity! ๐Ÿ˜ˆ 

I can see how scent sensitivity might make you space out usage of a 7-sheet mask pouch. I don't use the same mask by any brand for 7 consecutive days, so I have several opened LuLuLun 7-sheet pouches. As long as I use all 7 masks in a pouch within 80 days of opening, they'll be fine. I write the "opened on" date on the back of each pouch with a Sharpie. 

6 Replies
testing