Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

@Cobra1  I've heard good things about this brand! Glad to hear it's a winner for your dry skin! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I've been wondering about that one @Cobra1 ! How long do you typically leave it on for? 

RE: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

B for Beauty Sleep. Again I used up the rest of a tube of TonyMoly Lavender sleeping mask. Itโ€™s again okay, scent doesnโ€™t last just like the rose. It worked decently on top of my heavier Murad routine night when I need a very lightweight sleeping mask. Over all alright. Not sure if Iโ€™d buy again, but I am interested in their new Minions Eucalyptus night mask.

Re: RE: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

The new minion line looks so cute @Weetart 

The minions line definitely looks fun, @Weetart!

RE: Re: RE: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

Oh I know! Iโ€™m tempted to buy it all and have a movie marathon. @quspork

@Weetart  Too bad this ones not as good as the rose one! Is the scent strong enough to help you sleep?  

RE: Re: RE: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

It had a lovely scent when I put it on, but it may have been overwhelmed by my pillow spray @Shosh86 which has lavender as well.

B = black and bamboo. Last nightโ€™s mask was Petite Amie Skincare Hydrating Bamboo Charcoal Masque - Interstellar Indigo. 

I forgot to take a photo of this sleeve inside its pretty black envelope.I forgot to take a photo of this sleeve inside its pretty black envelope.

Notes: 

Spoiler

Claims: Hydrates, balances, soothes, and refreshes skin. Improves firmness and suppleness. 

Ingredients: Honey is high on this list, which is interesting considering the performance and results I got from this mask. Thereโ€™s olive leaf extract (a great antioxidant source) plus โ€œolive oil PEG-7 estersโ€ which is an emollient derived from olive oil. Panthenol in the first third of the list is a welcome sight. 

Ormenis Multicaulis is Moroccan chamomile. Unlike the German chamomile (matricaria recutita, which is also in this mask) often used in skincare products, Moroccan chamomile isnโ€™t much of a skin soother: it contains no chamazulene, the substance that makes German chamomile an inflammation fighter. The Moroccan variety is probably here as an antibacterial agent for the serum. Also, this type of chamomile is not the same thing as blue tansy, though youโ€™ll sometimes see blue tansy called โ€œchamomile blue tansyโ€ or โ€œMoroccan blue chamomile." Blue tansy and chamomile arenโ€™t even in the same genus. Iโ€™m rambling about this because 2 years ago I fell waaaaay down a research rabbit hole on this while sifting through ingredients that seemed to irritate my skin. I was knee deep in botanical science tangent research (itโ€™s fascinating stuff!) before I remembered โ€œoh yeah, I started all this just to confirm blue tansy isnโ€™t actually chamomile.โ€ ๐Ÿ˜‚

Spoiler

Aqua (Water), Glycerin, Honey Extract, Olea Europaea (Olive) Leaf Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Saccharide Isomerate, Olive Oil PEG-7 Esters, Panthenol, Glyceryl Polyacrylate, Chlorphenesin, Allantoin, Sodium Hyaluronate, Saccharomyces/Sea Silt Ferment, Sodium Benzoate, Butylene Glycol, Potassium Sorbate, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran, Isopropyl Cresols, Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate, Chamomilla Recutita Flower Extract, Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, Algae Extract, Ormenis Multicaulis Extract, Benzoic Acid, Leuconostoc Ferment Filtrate, Soybean Peroxidase, Superoxide Dismutase 

Performance: This thick black bamboo charcoal sheet comes with an unnecessary plastic backing. After unfolding the sheet, I peeled off the backing before putting the sheet on my face. I had to tailer the eyeholes: snipped a notch in the inner corner to make that fabric lay flat against my skin, and widened the outer corner. I also had to widen the mouth hole a bit. But the width of this sheet is fantastic! I know plenty of folks would find this sheet too wide, but I love it when a mask reaches all the way to my ears, completely covering my jaw. The perimeter slits allowed for easy adjustability. The sheet was a bit too long at the chin but it stayed folded under well enough. 

I got nearly a full handful of unscented watery serum from the sleeve. I pressed some of that onto the sheet on my forehead and cheeks, and applied the rest to my neck and chest. The only thing I could smell was charcoal from the sheet itself, and it wasnโ€™t a very strong scent. This mask felt very cooling on my face. It was so relaxing, I lost track of time and wound up wearing it for 40 minutes. I massaged residual serum into my skin for about 30 seconds. I expected my face to feel tacky because of this maskโ€™s high honey content, but I had no tack at all. No pilling either. 

Results: Well hydrated skin that felt soft, smooth, and supple. It also looked a bit brighter. My surface redness was still present, but otherwise my skin looked and felt calm. 

Though honey is this maskโ€™s third ingredient, I felt moisture neither leaching from my skin nor drawing toward it. Instead, my face seemed to have the perfect level of hydration: not over, not under. It put my skin into a hydration zen trance. For that reason alone, I might buy more of this maskโ€”but I donโ€™t need to yet because I have 2 more of them (I had all 3 โ€œcolorsโ€ of the same mask). Also, I'm not sure I can justify the price tag: these are normally USD $8 each. Not the most expensive single-use mask I've ever bought, but pricier than average. I like this mask, but do I $8 like it? Especially compared to less expensive hydrating masks in my collection? Hmm. 

A masking hack I didnโ€™t realize was a hack: 

Spoiler

A friend recently asked why I bother cutting any sheet mask, because โ€œisnโ€™t it a pain to peel the mask off your face just to cut holes bigger, and then put it back on your face?โ€ She was surprised when I told her I usually cut sheets while theyโ€™re on my face. โ€œAnd you do that without cutting or stabbing yourself? How?!โ€ 

Why, with beard/brow trimming scissors, of course! These are the type of scissors Iโ€™ve always used on sheet masks: 

I'm still considering buying a second larger pair of scissors for jobs like chin trimming, but these do the job just fine.I'm still considering buying a second larger pair of scissors for jobs like chin trimming, but these do the job just fine.

The tips are blunt and curved up, so I canโ€™t accidentally stab myself with them. I can hold them flat against my face, curve pointed outward, to trim excess material (thatโ€™s how theyโ€™re designed to be used), or I can use them like traditional scissors and aim the ends toward my face. I usually do both. Eyehole trimming is a fearless event, as long as I make sure no eyelashes or brow hairs are in the way. 

This made me curious about what kind of scissors other people use on sheet masks, particularly folks who tailor masks while wearing them. Iโ€ฆ I didnโ€™t realize how unusual that practice is to some peopleโ€”like my friend, who might still be a bit traumatized by all this. 

i don't know ๐Ÿค”@WinglessOne a perfect balance facial Zen....

i don't know ๐Ÿค”@WinglessOne a perfect balance facial Zen.๐Ÿ˜Š I might have to drop $8 & use when my face really needs it. love that packaging too!

@WinglessOne  This mask sounds very nice and is so pretty. I usually use kiddie safety scissors on my masks. 

@WinglessOne well that is a gorgeous package! Love the scissors you use, and I found it amusing that someone thought you would remove the mask to cut it ๐Ÿ™‚  I am always a little nervous when trimming a mask around the eye area, now I know how to correct it. Thanks for the tip!

Definitely a prettily packaged mask, @WinglessOne and I totally use the same type of scissors for my little cosmetics' surgeries LOL.

Hydration zen trance @WinglessOne love it!  ๐Ÿ˜†

@WinglessOne Ooh that looks like a great mask!

@WinglessOne  I'm too cheap to buy an $8 mask, but this one sounds great and sure is pretty! I have a weakness for anything with stars/constellations!

I use the regular sharp pointy scissors, but I really only use them to chop off the extra length at the chin, or to cut straight across from eye to eye. ๐Ÿ˜‰

RE: Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

That is a great idea! @WinglessOne I use plan ole cheap hair cutting ones but I just make slits and over lap sections just like I do when I see. Donโ€™t actually cut pieces off.

RE: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

B is for Blueberry and bouncy. Iโ€™ve used this mask before but was super duper stoked when I saw it in the motm box. Love this mask. My skin is combo, can break out easy, but really dry at the same time. So itโ€™s a delicate balance to get the products right so I donโ€™t turn into a burnt redhead with a galaxy of freaks or acne worse than when I was as a teenager. This though, calming, no bad reaction and my skin soaks up all the hydration. Itโ€™s da bomb yo.

Farmskin makes some great masks, @Weetart - glad you enjoyed this one ๐Ÿ™‚

Oh yes @Weetart this line of masks are excellent

@Weetart  I really like all the Farmskin masks I've tried, but this is one of my favorites! Glad to hear you enjoyed it too! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

testing