Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Mask of the Week Challenge!

Hello Lovelies! As we make our resolutions and check them twice, I thought we could start a skincare version of the Weekly Challenge. Many of us wanted to use more masks, shop our stash and focus on our Skin so hopefully this thread will be an inspiration to do just that. Join us with pictures and comments down below.

Masking Spreadsheet Info

Spoiler

Hello every, @eshoe and I are very happy to present the BIC Masking Challenge Spreadsheet. The idea is to have an easily searchable database of masks and reviews as a reference point when we are considering our next purchase. Data integrity was important to us so instead of everyone inputing data directly into the spreadsheet where theoretically information could be deleted or edited we have the questionnaire. It should take no longer then 1-2 minutes with the option for a more detailed review (which you can copy from your post on this thread).

Remember the idea is not to replace this thread. I personally love reading, commenting and interacting with all you amazing women here and that shouldn’t change. This would just be on top of that. Hopefully the more people that partake in this, the larger database of information we’ll have for reference. It will be extra effort in the beginning but then we would only need to input any new mask we’ve tried.

Additional Info:

Spoiler

Since we aren’t allowed to post links, please PM or myself for it. You will also find this information on the original post so you don’t need a database to search for this post!

Incase you need some help to filter/search results, try this :-

Search Specific Word or Phrase —> Edit -> Find and Replace -> Search Word

Filter/Organize by Columns --> Data -> Create a Filter -> Select Options

There are 2 ways to edit a response: 

1) Once you have completed a survey, click on the "Edit Your Response" link on that page. Once this page is closed, the only way to make a change is to:

2) PM @Aaliaa or @eshoe to make the change directly in the response spreadsheet

Thanks @eshoe for putting this together!

Rules

Spoiler

Each week there will be a new Masking Challenge posted. It will range from type of mask, brand specific week or fun challenges along the way.

Choose mask, take picture (with mask on or before), place mask on face, relax and dream of the next Sephora purchase you want to make, remove mask for healthier skin.

Have Fun!!

P.S. If you have any suggestions or challenge recommendations feel free to message me and I'll add them to the list.

Schedule Updated 06/21

Spoiler

Week 25: (June 18th - 24th): Masks you discovered in 2017

Week 26:  (June 25th - July 1st): Favourite Mask of the “Masking Week Challenge”

Week 27 (July 2nd-8th): Hydrating Mask to get over the dehydration of Air-Conditioning!

Week 28 (July 9th-15th): Brand Week - Glam Glow, REN & Creme Shop

Week 29 (July 16th-22nd): Lip, Hand or Foot Masks to help that winter skin

Week 30 (July 23rd-29th): ‘Weird Mask' Bubbling, Peeling, Colour changing other worldly wonders!

Week 31 (July 30th-Aug 5th): Multi-Masking How many masks can you use at one time or in One Day??

Week 32 (Aug 5th-12th): Sheet Mask! I know we all have a few (dozen) lying around

Week 33 (Aug 13th-19th): When you are getting GLAM for a night out and want that inner GLOW

Week 34 (Aug 20th-26th): Brand Week - Fresh & PTR
Week 35 (Aug 27th-Sep 2nd): Favourites Week - Your go to miracle in a mask
Week 36 (Sep 3rd-9th): Female Owned Brands - In honour of Women's Week

Week 37: (Sep 10th-16th): DIY Mask - Skincare meets Chemistry

Week 38: (Sep 17th-23rd): BIC Made you do it! Masks recommended/inspired by other BIC members

Week 39: (Sep 24th-30th): Sephora Collections Week - House Brand Goodness

Week 40: (Oct 1st - 7th): $-$$$$ - Most Expensive and/or Cheapest mask you love!

Week 41: (Oct 8th - 14th): Sample Dive - I know we have them!

Week 42: (Oct 15th - 21st): Sephora’s ‘Best Selling’ Masks 

Week 43: (Oct 22nd - 28th): Overnight Masks - Sleeping miracles in a jar

Week 44: (Oct 29th - Nov 4th): Laneige and Dr. Jart Week! - Lets show some love to Some Korean skincare brands

Week 45: (Nov 5th - 11th): Forgotten Wonders - Shop your stash for an unloved mask

Week 46: (Nov 12th - 18th): Favourite Smelling Masks - Watermelon, Kale, Spa??

Week 47: (Nov 19th - 25th): Tata Harper, Tatcha or Too Cool For School Masks

Week 48: (Nov 26th - Dec 2nd): Morning Masking - Masks that help give a pep to your step

Week 49: (Dec 3rd - 9th): Asian skincare Brand - Visit old cultures and their 

Week 50: (Dec 10th - 16th): Pharmacy or Farmacy Brand: From France to Honey Potion

Week 51: (Dec 17th - 23rd): Masks you discovered in 2018

Week 52:  (Dec 24th - 31st): Holiday Party Prep Mask

Week 25: (June 18th - 24th): Masks you discovered in 2017
Week 26:  (June 25th - July 1st): Favourite Mask of the “Masking Week Challenge”
Week 27 (July 2nd-8th): Hydrating Mask to get over the dehydration of Air-Conditioning!
Week 28 (July 9th-15th): Brand Week - Glam Glow, REN & Creme Shop
Week 29 (July 16th-22nd): Lip, Hand or Foot Masks to help that winter skin
Week 30 (July 23rd-29th): ‘Weird Mask' Bubbling, Peeling, Colour changing other worldly wonders!
Week 31 (July 30th-Aug 5th): Multi-Masking How many masks can you use at one time or in One Day??
Week 32 (Aug 5th-12th): Sheet Mask! I know we all have a few (dozen) lying around
Week 33 (Aug 13th-19th): When you are getting GLAM for a night out and want that inner GLOW
Week 34 (Aug 20th-26th): Brand Week - Fresh & PTR
Week 35 (Aug 27th-Sep 2nd): Favourites Week - Your go to miracle in a mask
Week 36 (Sep 3rd-9th): Female Owned Brands - In honour of Women's Week
Week 37: (Sep 10th-16th): DIY Mask - Skincare meets Chemistry
Week 38: (Sep 17th-23rd): BIC Made you do it! Masks recommended/inspired by other BIC members
Week 39: (Sep 24th-30th): Sephora Collections Week - House Brand Goodness
Week 40: (Oct 1st - 7th): $-$$$$ - Most Expensive and/or Cheapest mask you love!
Week 41: (Oct 8th - 14th): Sample Dive - I know we have them!
Week 42: (Oct 15th - 21st): Sephora’s ‘Best Selling’ Masks 
Week 43: (Oct 22nd - 28th): Overnight Masks - Sleeping miracles in a jar
Week 44: (Oct 29th - Nov 4th): Laneige and Dr. Jart Week! - Lets show some love to Some Korean skincare brands
Week 45: (Nov 5th - 11th): Forgotten Wonders - Shop your stash for an unloved mask
Week 46: (Nov 12th - 18th): Favourite Smelling Masks - Watermelon, Kale, Spa??
Week 47: (Nov 19th - 25th): Tata Harper, Tatcha or Too Cool For School Masks
Week 48: (Nov 26th - Dec 2nd): Morning Masking - Masks that help give a pep to your step
Week 49: (Dec 3rd - 9th): Asian skincare Brand - Visit old cultures and their 
Week 50: (Dec 10th - 16th): Pharmacy or Farmacy Brand: From France to Honey Potion
Week 51: (Dec 17th - 23rd): Masks you discovered in 2018
Week 52:  (Dec 24th - 31st): Holiday Party Prep Mask

Merry Masking!

Re: Mask of the Week Challenge!

Oh, Hawaii!!! 🌺🏝🏄‍♀️🌊  Nice! One of my favorite vacation spots! ♥️ As for California, come on over! 🥑🌞 

I’m so very sorry sleep continues to be so hard to come by. Glad to hear you are getting some “me” time. It’s important to have that. Wishing you well my friend with your decisions and am happy to see you back! 🤗

I’m glad to be back @itsfi ! I’ve missed the BIC so much but I had major life decisions to make ... I think everyone can relate...and understand... I wish teleportation existed ( it exists in theory ) so I could move around the world where it’s sunny, warm and next to a beautiful, clean beach 🏝. Wishful thinking!

Tuesday I tried the REN Clean Skincare Evercalm™ Ultra Comforting Rescue Mask 1.7 oz/ 50 mL. This is a 10 minutes leave-on/rinse-out mask that’s supposed to reduce redness, irritation and to give the skin an instant sensation of wellbeing.Before I tried it I applied the Hylamide SubQ anti-aging and TO Matrixyl + HA serums. I left it on for the recommended time and rinsed it off with lukewarm water. It didn’t work as expected, it made my already dry skin even dryer! So I checked the ingredients list : the 3rd ingredient is cetearyl alcohol and the 13th ingredient is cetyl alcohol. I was quite surprised that a product that’s supposed to soothe skin has such a high alcohol content which is a huge disappointment! This mask contains beta-glucan ( therefore keeping up with the “B” week ) which is supposed to support the skin’s natural immune and barrier function. I would rate this mask as a F 👎🏼.

Wednesday, in keeping up with the “B” themed masks, I tried the A’PIEU Banana Milk Mask ( nourishing ). Before applying this cotton sheet mask  I used theTO Matrixyl + HA serum. The second I opened up the pouch I was inundated with a yummy banana chips smell 💛 ! I left it on for approximately 60 minutes. This mask made my skin glowing and soft to the touch. No alterations were needed since it fit so well. Thanks @itsfi 🤗 ! I absolutely loved this mask 💛💛💛 ! I would rate this mask A !

Yesterday I used the fresh Black Tea Instant Perfecting Mask 3.3 oz/ 100 mL. I left it on for 15 minutes instead of the suggested 3-10 minutes. It has a nice clean fragrance and didn’t cause any irritation of my sensitive skin. After rinsing it off my skin was hydrated and soft. I give this mask an A- only because I have other masks that hydrate and smooth my skin a bit better than the Fresh mask. I have a foil sample to try it out but I probably wouldn’t purchase. It’s more effective than the fresh Rose Face Mask 3.3 oz/ 100 mLin terms of hydration!WednesdayWednesdayTuesdayTuesday

@keana1

This may be surprising, but cetyl and cetearyl alcohol are actually good alcohols; they are fatty alcohols that serve as emollients, emulsifiers or texture thickeners. They are not drying (quite the opposite!), and even "alcohol free" products are still allowed to use them, since they aren't the big bad drying alcohol that is referred to with the "alcohol free" label. 

More fatty (good) alcohols

behenyl alcohol
caprylic alcohol
decyl alcohol
lauryl alcohol
myristyl alcohol
isostearyl alcohol
oleyl alcohol
stearyl alcohol

And of course, the bad alcohols:

ethanol or ethyl alcohol

denatured alcohol

methanol

isopropyl alcohol

SD alcohol

benzyl alcohol

...and anything just labeled "alcohol"

So sorry the Ren mask didn't work out though 😞

@RGbrown Thank you, this list is helpful! I knew most of the bad ones, and I know I've heard there are some "good" alcohols, I just wasn't sure what was what. Although, for some reason even masks that contain the "good" alcohols irritate my skin. I've been trying to pay attention though, because it seems I only notice sensitivity when the alcohols are higher up in the ingredients list. I dunno, it could just be me! It is comforting to know that all the masks I have that do contain alcohol aren't all that bad! 🙌🤗

@RGbrown, thank you very much for these lists. I knew the first three bad alcohols were bad and they’re ones I try to avoid. It’s really helpful to know the other ones that fall in that category. I saved your post to my phone so I can check for the bad alcohols when I’m going through an ingredients list. 

@itsfi

Happy to help 🙂

You made my OCD very happy with the matching 💛. 😂 I'm glad I got gifted a chocolate milk mask, I keeping seeing such good reviews on these. And next week is "c" week. @keana1

I’m a bit OCD myself @sonnydee ! LOL 😂 ( everything has to match!, sometimes it can be really annoying... ) I hope that you’re going to enjoy the chocolate milk mask next week! ( it’s already next week here ! ) 

@keana1 Such great reviews! I was very close to buying that REN mask but decided against it when I read the ingredients! Even the so-called "good" alcohols seem to irritate my skin. Not only is checking the ingredients good for my skin, it's also good for my bank account! Haha! Ever since I started checking ingredients I have passed on so many products! I'm sorry to this didn't work well for you, but happy you found that out by using only samples!👌

I own all of the A'pieu milk masks, but have only tried the chocolate one so far! It didn't have a chocolate scent but it did give some great results! I'm happy to hear the Banana one smells like bananas! Can't wait to try it!🙌

@Shosh85 @keana1 @sonnydee  the chocolate milk mask was good!! My one disappointment with it was that it did not smell like chocolate! ☹️ 

That’s too bad @itsfi ☹️ ! It would have been great if it smelled like chocolate 🍫! But I’m glad that you enjoyed it! 

I’m glad that you didn’t buy it @Shosh85 ! I’m also glad that I have samples, so we can both have happy bank accounts! I can’t wait to see your review of the A’PIEU Banana Milk Mask! 

Disappointing results for the REN, @keana1🤨 I didn’t like it either the first few times I tried it, the scent was off and it just didn’t do anything for me. The second DS I tried was so much better; it made me realize the first one was probably old stock. Not that that is the case with you, just thought I’d mention it. Happy the A’Pieu worked out for you, I love that one, too!

I’m going to try the REN again @eshoe I’m not giving up on it yet! It might work well when my skin isn’t too dry but for now, since it’s sooo cold 🥶 and dry everywhere I’ll have to wait until late spring to try it again! The A’PIEU mask was so great and the smell was yummy 🤤

@keana1  sorry the REN mask didn't work for you. So far I've had different results.  Glad you like the Banana one! I recently purchased it and can't wait for my order to ship! 😄

I hope that you’ll enjoy the Banana mask as much as I did @veronika23 ! You might want to eat banana chips while you mask ! 🤤

Hahahaha thanks @keana1!

@keana1 I'm telling you, so disappointed in these compani...

@keana1 I'm telling you, so disappointed in these companies still using certain alcohols!!

Re: @keana1 I'm telling you, so disappointed in these compani...

So am I @lmaster ! I don’t mind if alcohol is at the bottom of the ingredients list but when it’s the 3rd ingredient it’s upsetting! 

@keana1, so sorry to hear the REN EverCalm mask performed so poorly for you; it works pretty well for me but it is disappointing to see the alcohol in the mask. Good for you that you only had a foil of it. I agree that the Fresh Black Tea mask is a more effective hydrating mask than the Fresh Rose, at least for me it is, as well. What I like about those two Fresh masks, and all of the Fresh masks I've tried is that they are quick masks - I can always reach for one of them in I'm in a hurry and don't have much time to mask. 

The A'Pieu banana milk sheet mask is AMAZING! Love it! ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ So happy to hear you do too! 🙂

3 Replies
testing