Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Mask of the Week Challenge!

Hello Lovelies! As we make our resolutions and check them twice, I thought we could start a skincare version of the Weekly Challenge. Many of us wanted to use more masks, shop our stash and focus on our Skin so hopefully this thread will be an inspiration to do just that. Join us with pictures and comments down below.

Masking Spreadsheet Info

Spoiler

Hello every, @eshoe and I are very happy to present the BIC Masking Challenge Spreadsheet. The idea is to have an easily searchable database of masks and reviews as a reference point when we are considering our next purchase. Data integrity was important to us so instead of everyone inputing data directly into the spreadsheet where theoretically information could be deleted or edited we have the questionnaire. It should take no longer then 1-2 minutes with the option for a more detailed review (which you can copy from your post on this thread).

Remember the idea is not to replace this thread. I personally love reading, commenting and interacting with all you amazing women here and that shouldn’t change. This would just be on top of that. Hopefully the more people that partake in this, the larger database of information we’ll have for reference. It will be extra effort in the beginning but then we would only need to input any new mask we’ve tried.

Additional Info:

Spoiler

Since we aren’t allowed to post links, please PM or myself for it. You will also find this information on the original post so you don’t need a database to search for this post!

Incase you need some help to filter/search results, try this :-

Search Specific Word or Phrase —> Edit -> Find and Replace -> Search Word

Filter/Organize by Columns --> Data -> Create a Filter -> Select Options

There are 2 ways to edit a response: 

1) Once you have completed a survey, click on the "Edit Your Response" link on that page. Once this page is closed, the only way to make a change is to:

2) PM @Aaliaa or @eshoe to make the change directly in the response spreadsheet

Thanks @eshoe for putting this together!

Rules

Spoiler

Each week there will be a new Masking Challenge posted. It will range from type of mask, brand specific week or fun challenges along the way.

Choose mask, take picture (with mask on or before), place mask on face, relax and dream of the next Sephora purchase you want to make, remove mask for healthier skin.

Have Fun!!

P.S. If you have any suggestions or challenge recommendations feel free to message me and I'll add them to the list.

Schedule Updated 06/21

Spoiler

Week 25: (June 18th - 24th): Masks you discovered in 2017

Week 26:  (June 25th - July 1st): Favourite Mask of the “Masking Week Challenge”

Week 27 (July 2nd-8th): Hydrating Mask to get over the dehydration of Air-Conditioning!

Week 28 (July 9th-15th): Brand Week - Glam Glow, REN & Creme Shop

Week 29 (July 16th-22nd): Lip, Hand or Foot Masks to help that winter skin

Week 30 (July 23rd-29th): ‘Weird Mask' Bubbling, Peeling, Colour changing other worldly wonders!

Week 31 (July 30th-Aug 5th): Multi-Masking How many masks can you use at one time or in One Day??

Week 32 (Aug 5th-12th): Sheet Mask! I know we all have a few (dozen) lying around

Week 33 (Aug 13th-19th): When you are getting GLAM for a night out and want that inner GLOW

Week 34 (Aug 20th-26th): Brand Week - Fresh & PTR
Week 35 (Aug 27th-Sep 2nd): Favourites Week - Your go to miracle in a mask
Week 36 (Sep 3rd-9th): Female Owned Brands - In honour of Women's Week

Week 37: (Sep 10th-16th): DIY Mask - Skincare meets Chemistry

Week 38: (Sep 17th-23rd): BIC Made you do it! Masks recommended/inspired by other BIC members

Week 39: (Sep 24th-30th): Sephora Collections Week - House Brand Goodness

Week 40: (Oct 1st - 7th): $-$$$$ - Most Expensive and/or Cheapest mask you love!

Week 41: (Oct 8th - 14th): Sample Dive - I know we have them!

Week 42: (Oct 15th - 21st): Sephora’s ‘Best Selling’ Masks 

Week 43: (Oct 22nd - 28th): Overnight Masks - Sleeping miracles in a jar

Week 44: (Oct 29th - Nov 4th): Laneige and Dr. Jart Week! - Lets show some love to Some Korean skincare brands

Week 45: (Nov 5th - 11th): Forgotten Wonders - Shop your stash for an unloved mask

Week 46: (Nov 12th - 18th): Favourite Smelling Masks - Watermelon, Kale, Spa??

Week 47: (Nov 19th - 25th): Tata Harper, Tatcha or Too Cool For School Masks

Week 48: (Nov 26th - Dec 2nd): Morning Masking - Masks that help give a pep to your step

Week 49: (Dec 3rd - 9th): Asian skincare Brand - Visit old cultures and their 

Week 50: (Dec 10th - 16th): Pharmacy or Farmacy Brand: From France to Honey Potion

Week 51: (Dec 17th - 23rd): Masks you discovered in 2018

Week 52:  (Dec 24th - 31st): Holiday Party Prep Mask

Week 25: (June 18th - 24th): Masks you discovered in 2017
Week 26:  (June 25th - July 1st): Favourite Mask of the “Masking Week Challenge”
Week 27 (July 2nd-8th): Hydrating Mask to get over the dehydration of Air-Conditioning!
Week 28 (July 9th-15th): Brand Week - Glam Glow, REN & Creme Shop
Week 29 (July 16th-22nd): Lip, Hand or Foot Masks to help that winter skin
Week 30 (July 23rd-29th): ‘Weird Mask' Bubbling, Peeling, Colour changing other worldly wonders!
Week 31 (July 30th-Aug 5th): Multi-Masking How many masks can you use at one time or in One Day??
Week 32 (Aug 5th-12th): Sheet Mask! I know we all have a few (dozen) lying around
Week 33 (Aug 13th-19th): When you are getting GLAM for a night out and want that inner GLOW
Week 34 (Aug 20th-26th): Brand Week - Fresh & PTR
Week 35 (Aug 27th-Sep 2nd): Favourites Week - Your go to miracle in a mask
Week 36 (Sep 3rd-9th): Female Owned Brands - In honour of Women's Week
Week 37: (Sep 10th-16th): DIY Mask - Skincare meets Chemistry
Week 38: (Sep 17th-23rd): BIC Made you do it! Masks recommended/inspired by other BIC members
Week 39: (Sep 24th-30th): Sephora Collections Week - House Brand Goodness
Week 40: (Oct 1st - 7th): $-$$$$ - Most Expensive and/or Cheapest mask you love!
Week 41: (Oct 8th - 14th): Sample Dive - I know we have them!
Week 42: (Oct 15th - 21st): Sephora’s ‘Best Selling’ Masks 
Week 43: (Oct 22nd - 28th): Overnight Masks - Sleeping miracles in a jar
Week 44: (Oct 29th - Nov 4th): Laneige and Dr. Jart Week! - Lets show some love to Some Korean skincare brands
Week 45: (Nov 5th - 11th): Forgotten Wonders - Shop your stash for an unloved mask
Week 46: (Nov 12th - 18th): Favourite Smelling Masks - Watermelon, Kale, Spa??
Week 47: (Nov 19th - 25th): Tata Harper, Tatcha or Too Cool For School Masks
Week 48: (Nov 26th - Dec 2nd): Morning Masking - Masks that help give a pep to your step
Week 49: (Dec 3rd - 9th): Asian skincare Brand - Visit old cultures and their 
Week 50: (Dec 10th - 16th): Pharmacy or Farmacy Brand: From France to Honey Potion
Week 51: (Dec 17th - 23rd): Masks you discovered in 2018
Week 52:  (Dec 24th - 31st): Holiday Party Prep Mask

Merry Masking!

Re: ahhhhhh @Shosh85 thank you so much I swear you know all t...

@lmaster I just get a lot of emails, haha! 👍😂

Re: Mask of the Week Challenge!

Last night I decided to use SEPHORA COLLECTION - Sleeping Mask - Rose I like this mask as far as it's benefits and the the fact it contains rose and mushroom, but I don't like how long it stays tacky on my face.lol uughhh  did wake up with brighter and hydrated skin, but I kept sticking to my pillow. I have not been able to train myself not to toss and turn! I'll have to just use this as a 30 min mask before bed next time! #

Hmmm, that's a bummer that it stays tacky for so long @lmaster!  I hear ya on the tossing and turning! 🙂  Do you think the tackiness issue would be resolved if you either (a) patted in the slightest bit of moisturizer over the sleeping mask or (b) mixed in a face oil with the sleeping mask and then apply it?  

@lmaster@itsfi has taught me so many masking hacks and this is one of the best! It works like magic😊

Yes girl yes @itsfi I swear I need to think out of the box!! Thank you so much for showing me the light!!

@lmaster, If my past experiences dealing with tacky masks causing me to stick to my pillows, blankets, etc. can help someone else, I'm more than happy to pass that along! Haha! 😉 

Hi beauties,

I went on a dinner date last night and my pores felt clogged so I did a mini facial beforehand. I used my beloved ORIGINS - Clear Improvement® Active Charcoal Mask to Clear Poresto detox my skin. I absolutely love how clean my skin feels when I use this mask. However, it does leave my skin feeling very dry so I followed up with a moisturizing mask. I recently tried the Peter Thomas Roth Hungarian Thermal Water Mineral-Rich Atomic Heat Mask 5.1 oz/ 150 mL. It's a self heated mask that has hungarian water as well as good for your skin natural oils to bring moisture back into my skin. I sealed everything with my favorite Drunk Elephant Virgin Marula Luxury  Face Oil 1 oz/ 30 mL. Thankfully, my skin looked so great afterwards, I actually ended up using less foundation than usual.

mask.jpg

@PenelopeBT this is a great masking progression! I haven’t tried the PTR yet but I’m pretty sure I have a foil, I will have to try it soon. With this combo your skin must have looked radiant. In fact I think I might just try this mix with a soothing mask for my cheeks😊

@PenelopeBT, oooh, this masking trio looks good! I'm always drawn in by the jar for the PTR Hungarian Thermal Water mask. 😉  I really need to use my sample of it soon and decide if it's something I'll grab during the sale.

@PenelopeBT I feel absolutely zero heating sensation when I use Peter Thomas Roth Hungarian Thermal Water Mineral-Rich Atomic Heat Mask 5.1 oz/ 150 mL. I've tried it with a thick layer, I've tried it with a thin layer. I've tried massaging with ice cold water and I've tried with just cool water. It just balls off my face 🤷‍♀️ What am I doing wrong?

@GG84 I apply a generous amount of the product on dry skin and really work it into my skin in circular motions with my fingers. It takes a couple of seconds to start heating and it's quite an interesting sensation.

@PenelopeBT I really need to try the PTR Hungarian therma...

@PenelopeBT I really need to try the PTR Hungarian thermal mask! everybody makes me want to try it so bad! thanks for sharing 👍

So I'm new to the mask scene (the whole beauty scene actually) and was recommended to use the bareminerals claymates duo mask from one of the beauty counters. I didn't realize you can or probably should use a sheet mask after. Would I need to cleanse again in between or just go from rinsing the clay mask to applying the sheet mask?

Also, I recently tried the Wander Beauty Baggage Claim Rose Gold Eye Masks 6 x Eye Masks. Can I wear them at the same time as any of the other masks? Definitely want to get into a decent mask routine at least once a week.

Thanks in advance for any help/tips 🙂

Hi @GalPalVal17! 🙂 Welcome to BIC and to the masking thread! 🙂  I second the comments and feedback of all the lovelies who responded to your post! You can most definitely follow up a clay mask with another mask, many of us do so with a hydrating mask. That second mask can be a sheet mask or a wash off mask, depending on your skin's needs and preferences, and there are so many masks to choose from. 😉

You mentioned that you recently tried the Wander Beauty eye masks? What did you think about the eye masks?  Also, if you've had an opportunity to use the bareminerals claymates duo mask, I'd love to know your thoughts on the mask (and if you used a sheet mask after it).

@itsfi I have definitely gotten so many great tips and I also appreciate the welcome.

I did try the bareminerals claymates duo and I do like the way it makes my face feel. I particularly like the hydrating one which is the one I used this past weekend on my whole face when I was feeling most dry. I love how it made my face feel soft afterwards.I didn't follow up with a sheet mask as I didn't realize you could/should but I will definitely be doing that for this week's mask. I did definitely use moisturizer afterwards. What I also like about this mask is that it comes with more than one so I am going to start learning how to multimask and target different parts of my face depending on its need.

I don't really see immediate changes in my face besides the way it feels, but I know overall my face feels and looks much better than before I started using skin care products. 

I did use the wander eye mask but it was only my first time. I don't think i saw any immediate results but I will go thru the pack of 6 and see how it goes. 

I got a trial pack of masks from Birchbox I think, so it will be fun trying out different masks. Definitely a variety to choose from so there should be something there for my different needs.

Thanks so much @GalPalVal17, for sharing your thoughts on the bareminerals mask; really helpful! 😃. Trial packs are a great way to try out different masks! Happy masking! 

Welcome, @GalPalVal17!! 

I have dry skin and most clay/mud masks overly dry me, with the exception of the ones that don't dry down hard (Josie Maran for example.) I do like to use clay masks as spot treatments though. They tend to help a lot in drying up and getting rid of blemishes. As @eshoe already mentioned, there are a lot of people who use it has spot treatments for the more oily parts of their face, like the T - zone.

I really like putting eye masks on under face masks! A lot of the time face masks don't fit perfectly, leaving part of your eye area exposed – it's nice to have extra coverage underneath. Sometimes if you get those slippery eye masks, a sheet mask on top can help keep them in place better. My under eye tends to be more sensitive and dries out easier than the rest of my face, so it's nice to have something protecting and moisturizing them while the sheet mask is doing it's magic on the rest of my face.

Thats all I can think to add at the moment😉Please feel free to ask any questions you might have – everyone around here is super helpful and always willing to give advice! 😊

Welcome, @GalPalVal17@scott1201 Is absolutely right, following a clay mask you will likely need to rehydrate your skin. Taking a step back, what type of skin do you have? If it is dry, you may not need to use the clay mask over your entire face, only your t-zone. Then you could use a gel or other type soothing mask on your cheeks/temples. Also, a great tip I learned here: when using eye masks, place under your eyes just before placing a sheet mask over your entire face!

Here is a quick run-down of my PM masking, in order (I have very dry skin):

1. Oil cleanse

2. Gentle milk or foaming cleanser

3. Balancing mist

4. Traditional mask (this is where you would use your clay mask, or exfoliating mask, or other traditional masks in a jar/tube)

5. Rinse/remove mask

6. Balancing mist

7. Sheet mask (double up with the Wander under your face sheet mask if you'd like) If there is extra serum, you can pat it on top of your mask if it starts to dry down. Or use it on your neck, arms, elbows, etc.

8. Remove sheet mask and let it absorb into your skin. If it's still tacky after waiting quite awhile, moisturizing helps to diminish it.

9. Apply PM moisturizing cream or oil (or a blend of both for dry skin)

10. If that has soaked into your skin you could apply a sleeping mask last. I always do, unless my sheet mask was extra hydrating!

I would be happy to answer any other questions you have 🙂 Glad you are here!

Thank you for all the tips and what your routine is like. I would say I have normal or combination skin. I don't typically have dry skin except when the weather changes from hot to cold, like it is now. I was really feeling it this past weekend so I used the hydrating clay mask and then just a moisturizer. I'm sure I could have definitely used the sheet mask to restore more hydration to my face.

Would you recommend still using a moisturizer after the sheet mask? or even a night mask after the sheet mask? even though I don't typically have dry skin? 

Is there such a thing as over hydrating your skin?

@GalPalVal17 the best advice I could give you is to listen to your skin. It changes over time, and you may need to adjust your skincare routine to accommodate its needs. 

Many people sheet mask only only once or twice a week, and it works perfect for them. I need to mask more often to restore moisture. Since winter is on the way, with combo skin, pay attention to how your skin looks and feels for clues. If it’s tight after cleansing, you may be stripping the natural oils and need to step back a bit on the clay/exfoliating masks and amp up the hydration.

Important things I’ve learned here-just as you can mask differently on your face, you can moisturize differently. Give each area of your face the ♥️ it needs.

Hey, @GalPalVal17! Welcome to our little masking world 🙂 

After using a clay mask you will probably need to put some moisture back into your skin. For that, you can definitely use a sheet mask (i often fall asleep with them on 🙂 ) or simply just a moisturizer.

The clay mask will do a good job of cleaning your skin (do make sure you cleanse before the clay mask to get any makeup or residue off) so you can just go straight into the sheet mask / moisturizer after washing off the clay. There are a TON of cheap and effective sheet masks out there - many can be purchased on Amazon!

Hope that helps! I'm tagging some more people who can help you get started 🙂 @Aaliaa@Shosh85@itsfi@eshoe

1 Reply
testing