Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Looking for AHA/BHA serum or exfoliant suggestions!

I am new to the skin care realm and I am looking for recommendations for a good AHA/BHA Serum or chemical exfoliant treatment. Not a cleanser but something I can apply and leave-on after washing my face. I also pefer to have both AHAs and BHAs in the product. Thank you!

RE: Looking for AHA/BHA serum or exfoliant suggestions!

After trying a few brands (herbivore, the ordinary, Sunday Riley) my favourite has been Farmacy’s honeymoon glow It’s the only one that I saw a difference in my skin immediately I’ve got very oily, acne prone, sensitive skin My only issue was that it is very easy to over exfoliate (the bottle says to use 2-3 times a week) but I ended up getting tiny red dots all over my face after 2 months of doing that. After doing some research I learned it was from over exfoliation. I stopped using it for a month to give my skin some recovery and changed my routine to only using it once a week and my face is very happy with it 🙂

Murad

Re: Looking for AHA/BHA serum or exfoliant suggestions!

@emilygc 

On The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Exfoliating Peeling Solution 1 oz/ 30 mL , I really like this product and aside from Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta Glow Pad for Face , (which I've only tried in-store), there are the only peels I can speak to.  The percentage is high, but past the first 15-30 seconds it stings, but then it's pretty okay for me after that.  I felt like the day after my skin looked brighter and whatever acne was present, it had dried out

I spot tested it first though, which is what you should do with your skincare.  I never used to spot test, until I realized my skin became really sensitive (who knows why) a few years ago.  So whatever you pick, maybe spot test 1-2 formulas and see what you like.

@emilygc I'm not sure what strength you're looking at but the below all have AHA/BHA. Personally I wouldn't use the Ordinary Peeling Solution, Drunk Elephant Baby Face or even the Herbivoire Prism Facial (just all too high a % for me!). 

Some other more expensive options that I think are stronger if you can get a sample or mini are below 

• Kate Somerville Exfolikate Intensive Exfoliating Treatment Mini 
  • Farmacy HONEYMOON GLOW AHA Resurfacing Night Serum with Hydrating Honey + Gentle Flower Acids 

Definitely the Drunk Elephant Babyfacial! It’s a game changer! But you can only use it once a week and you need to extra moisturize your skin after using it. You’ll notice results after 3 weeks or so. People talk a lot about the The Ordinary Peeling Solution. I never tried it, but it would be good reading the reviews since there’s a huge difference on the prices.

@emilygc What's your skin type and what products are you currently using?

RE: Re: Looking for AHA/BHA serum or exfoliant suggestions!

Hey there! I have combination and mildly sensitive skin. Currently using a garnier micellar gel cleanser along with their moisturizer. For the past 3ish weeks I have been using samples of the Sunday Riley Good Genes and UFO oil about twice/week and enjoy the products but they are too pricey. Any suggestions appreciated and welcome! Thank you!

Re: RE: Re: Looking for AHA/BHA serum or exfoliant suggestions!

So first things first, I'd make sure you add in a daily sunscreen to protect your skin. You may be already using one and just didn't mention it, but you'll need it with AHAs since they can make your skin photosensitive. 

A few options that combine the ingredients: Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Mini Alpha Beta® Universal Daily Peel Pads 5 Treatments (love these- also I think there's a promo going on currently to try them out with a promo code FYI), SEPHORA COLLECTION Clarifying Peel Pads 60 Pads, Herbivore Prism 12% AHA + 3% BHA Exfoliating Glow Serum (or the more powerful glow facial version), #Drunk Elephant T.L.C. Sukari Babyfacial™ 25% AHA + 2% BHA Mask 1.69 oz/ 50 mL, or The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Exfoliating Peeling Solution 1 oz/ 30 mL.

Just a note that the CosRx AHA/BHA toner mentioned above is NOT an exfoliator. It's a pH adjusting toner that contains minute traces of AHA and BHA to bring down the pH of skin for use before actives (after a high pH cleanser). 

8 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 11 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing