Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐ŸŒฑ Korean Beauty: East Meets West-Skincare Edition ๐ŸŒฑ

As part of my New Year's resolution, I promised myself I would explore the world of Korean beauty a lot more than I have. I would love this to be a place to discuss and share your experience!

I am currently practicing the "7 Skin Method" every morning. This will help hydrate dry skin as well as balance sebum production is oily skin. I was a grease factory and am now very normal. This method is simply applying a hydrating toner 7 times in a row. You can use a cotton round, but I prefer to apply 5/6 drops to the palm of my hand and press it into my skin. I am currently using:

• Missha First Treatment Essence 2X ($49)
  • Amore Pacific Single Extract Vintage Essence 1X ($145)
  • ElishaCoy Moist Up Hyalurone Ampoule Essence 4X ($10)

Results are immediate! My skin is plump and glowing. Now, I could NEVER give up my Good Genes and Luna, but this will definitely take the place of some very expensive skincare products I use like my Vintner's Daughter. I would love to hear about Korean Beauty products you have discovered. I'm all for spending in the name of great skin! โค๏ธโค๏ธโค๏ธ

Re: ๐ŸŒฑ Korean Beauty: East Meets West-Skincare Edition ๐ŸŒฑ

@naturalooks15 I'm using Supergoop! CC now because it's the palest CF formula available... their other shades were not as "golden" as the IT Cosmetics line so it might be another option to check out.

It's not online-only at Sephora, but few stores seem to stock it... so you may need to order one and return it to a store if it doesn't work for you.

@fieldsofclover I will try supegoop 

@Anonymous will try Mac face & Body

never tried these two. so far the things that I have tried, I liked the Nars tinted moisturizer though and looks like it will count towards the 2X points (and so will supergoop).

Anonymous Insider

I've used NARS Radiant Tinted Moisturizer - I liked it very much. They have more of a color selection which is great.  It's buildable in terms of coverage - sheer-to-medium.

MAC Face & Body is also a nice one; coverage is sheer-to-light - it's great if you are just looking for something to even out your skintone.  Or, Charlotte Tilbury Light Wonder foundation - it's called a foundation but I think coverage-wise it is more like a hybrid of a tinted moisturizer and light foundation.

Anonymous Insider

@naturalooks15, I second @fieldsofclover's recommendation - IT Cosmetics CC Cream has yellow undertones.  There are about half a dozen different shades to choose from, so not a lot by any means, but if you can find a good color and tone match, it sounds like it may be what you are looking for. 

RE: Re: ๐ŸŒฑ Korean Beauty: East Meets West-Skincare Edition ๐ŸŒฑ

@naturalooks15 Have you checked out Erborian? I have yet to try it but hear amazing things...if you fit into their shade range. I think thereโ€™s only 3 to choose from.

Re: RE: Re: ๐ŸŒฑ Korean Beauty: East Meets West-Skincare Edition ๐ŸŒฑ

@darlyndar Thanks. will see if my local Sephora has it to try out

@darlyndar thank you for starting this thread - I've been really interested in getting an essence - your routine looks really interesting I will definitely have to do some reading! 

@Kim888 Amore Pacific was my first experience with an Essence. It has made a difference and is very special. But the more knowledge l gain, the more I realize itโ€™s not necessary. I use it once, only in the morning. There are soooooo many amazing essences for under $20. 

@darlyndar Thanks for starting this!! I've been interested and now I can discuss with all of you!

@yankeefaithful Yes! I canโ€™t say enough good things about K beauty and essences. I feel so strongly about Luna and Good Genes, and this method pairs so well with it. 

Iโ€™m two months overdue for Botox. It was mostly my forehead and between my brows. I would squint and the lines would be prominent. Now, I squint with very little Botox left and my lines donโ€™t linger. My skin is visibly plump! I have an overall glow that even my husband notices! I couldnโ€™t be more pleased. 

@darlyndar That's great to hear! I'm just now noticing some areas that need to be addressed and hope this will help. Thanks a lot for your input!

Anonymous Insider

I generally switch up the essences/toners I use for the 7-skin method seasonally and depending on what my skin needs.  At the moment, I'm using the following essences and toners for the 7-skin method:

• Amore Pacific Single Vintage Extract Essence
  • Be The Skin Botanical Nutrition Power Toner
  • Blithe Vital Treatment Essence for Lifting (8 Nourishing Beans) (not pictured)
  • Pyunkang Yul Essence Toner 

essence pic.jpg

I've done the 7-skin method using just 1 essence for all 7 layers, as well as using a combination of essences for it. If the latter, the general rule is to go from thinnest consistency to the most viscous or thickest. I don't typically use all 4 of these essences for the 7 skin method; at most, I've used 3, and in those instances, it's usually, 2 layers of the Amore Pacific essence, followed by 2 layers of the Pyunkang Yul essence toner and 3 layers of either the Be The Skin or Blithe essences. I find this combo to work well on my skin.

I've been using the Missha Time Revolution essence for one and a half weeks, am and pm and my partner noticed a difference ๐Ÿ™‚ My skin also feels smoother and bouncier. I also started using The Ordinary's rose hip oil (maybe 3 weeks now? I only mix one drop into my moisturizer am/pm so two drops per day) so I imagine that has made a difference too. All I know is that in the winter my skin is usually much drier and these two products have made such a noticeable difference.

Anonymous Insider

@pocketvenus, yes!!!  I think a tell-tale sign that a product is working well is when others start noticing!!  ๐Ÿ™‚  Essences are great!  Before I started using them, I didn't even know my skin could feel, as you said, smoother and bouncier!   I've heard so many good things about the Missha Time Revolution Essence!

Ooooh, the rosehip seed oil from The Ordinary is a good one - formula-wise and in terms of price point.  I agree with you - consistent use of essences and oils in my routine is keeping my skin more hydrated (and less dry) than it has ever been in past winters. 

@Anonymous This is great! I'm looking into getting some of the essences you've mentioned. If you could get only one, between Be the skin and Blithe Vital treatment,  which would you get? I'm going  to gradually add some just in case they cause a reaction. Thanks so much!

Anonymous Insider

Hmmm... good (and tough) question @yankeefaithful

What is your skin type? If you are very dry, I recommend Be The Skin - it's targeted for dry to very dry skin.  If you have combination skin, then I say go for the Blithe essence.  Also, if you are sensitive to fragrance, the Blithe one may be the better option for you. The scent in the Be The Skin toner/essence is not overpowering by any means, but it does have fragrance. 

You can find Be The Skin at Peach & Lily (it's in an orange/yellow ombre glass bottle).  The Blithe essence can be purchased at sephora.com or through Glow Recipe.

https://www.sephora.com/product/vital-treatment-essence-for-lifting-P408269?skuId=1833052&keyword=bl...

@Anonymous I love the Blithe Nourishing Bean Essence. Something about the viscosity and those little floating things...heart ๐Ÿ™‚

I'm currently working my way through the Blithe Hydrating Essence and it's a meh. I don't think it's really doing anything for my skin so I won't be repurchasing once it's done. 

Testing out the Caudalie Essence which is a bit thinner, reminds me of the Son & Park Beauty water, liking it so far!

Anonymous Insider

Yes @MissPuff!!! Aren't those floating beads just so much fun?  And, they are good for our skin!  The Nourishing Bean essence is great - soothing, hydrating. 

It's too bad that the Blithe Hydrating Essence isn't working out.  I held off on getting that one and went with the Essential Seeds Essence (not sold on sephora.com).  I think I may test that out soon.  It's is marketed as being hydrating and brightening; will let you know how it compares with the Nourishing Bean one.

Ooooh, happy to hear the Caudalie Essence is working out for you so far.  I picked that up earlier last year but have yet to use it.  After you have had more time to test it out, I'd love to hear your thoughts on how it performs.

@Anonymous I'm usually combo toward oily, but with the cold weather,.seeing more dry spots. I may start with the Blithe essence since I have gift card to Sephora. I'll let you know how it does for me. Thanks!!

RE: Re: ๐ŸŒฑ Korean Beauty: East Meets West-Skincare Edition ๐ŸŒฑ

@Anonymous Thereโ€™s the Pyunkang Yul!!! Iโ€™m placing an order right now! Thank you for sharing! Your regime is gorgeous. Your skin must be glowing. โค๏ธโค๏ธโค๏ธ

Re: RE: Re: ๐ŸŒฑ Korean Beauty: East Meets West-Skincare Edition ๐ŸŒฑ

I absolutely love Pyunkang Yul and totally recommend it. Though I don't always do 7 steps, if my skin is feeling extremely dry I'll do 4 laters with 2 each of Missha and Pyunkang Yul. I also LOVE the May Coop Raw Sauce, but I think Pyinkang Yul might be close to replacing it! @darlyndar @Anonymous 

13 Replies
Photos36
  • essence pic.jpg
  • Screenshot_20180125-182702.png
  • Pyunkang Yul label
  • D6DE9B85-8F8E-43E2-89D6-5FEEBE5CAC8C.jpeg
  • IMG_20180214_162019-01.jpeg
  • IMG_7696.jpg
  • IMG_7697 (1).jpg
  • Massage Tool
  • Normal/Combonation
  • Dehydrated Oily