Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Just moved and need skincare for dry climate!

Hi! I just moved from a humid climate to a very dry climate. I learned that humectants like hyaluronic acid are bad for dry climates because they can actually draw water out of the skin. A realized that all my skincare (serums, moisturizers, eye cream, makeup primer) all contain HA, and my skin is not happy right now. Any recommendations for products in those categories? My skin is usually combination leaning oily, and quite acne prone. It’s drier now, but still acne prone.

Thank you 

Re: Just moved and need skincare for dry climate!

I’ve never been able to use HA in my routine, they always seem to make my skin dryer, dull and just so sad looking. I later found out when you live in dryer climates, HA actually does the opposite of what it’s supposed to do and it pulls the moisture out of your skin instead of replenishing it like it’s supposed to. Anything with glycerin works better I’ve noticed. It’s a bit more hydration than HA can give you in a dry climate. Always make sure you’re using a hydrating toner and/or serum and check to see if maybe you’re cleanser is starting to strip your skin, you may need a new gentler hydrating cleanser for the dryer climate. I hope this helps a little! 

@Jadecf I moved from MIA to PHX a couple of years ago. It was rough for my skin at first. The water is much harder so get a water softener if possible or maybe a showerhead. Layers of moisture are your best friend. As long as you apply your HA on damp skin and "seal" it with something, you should be good to keep using most of your stuff. Find a moisturizer with an occlusive that won't trigger your acne. 

Using a humectant HA product is still okay in a dry climate especially if you apply it to your face while still wet, and locking it in by applying a thick moisturizer on top. I recently tried just plain old neutrogena hydroboost and put Josie Maran Whipped Argan Oil Face Butter on top and it really helped my dry skin. 

I live in a dry climate as well! My saving grace has been the YTTP dream mask and belif moisture bomb! But the biggest thing for me was just giving my skin some time to adjust - also doesn’t hurt to have a humidifier 🙂

Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 6 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing