Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Josie Maran Argan Oil Bottle Issue - Important Warning

This should mostly serve as a warning for those who uses it, or confirmation if I was not the only one with this issue with Josie Maran Argan Oil. 

I had a small bottle of Argan Oil as part of whatever product promotion there was a while back, and having already enough skin products on the go, I put it aside. I believe the bottle capsized at some point in the bag, but it was never in contact with heat or other products. Months later, if not over a year later, when I decided to use it, I found part of the oil dripped inside my bag with the rubber part of the cap slightly melted and rubber/plastic residue everywhere. The inside of the tube was covered in black residue, and so was the bottle's lid. But worst, the residue got into the oil itself in significant quantities, making it impossible to use it. Basically, wasted product. You can see pictures below for references. 

As I said, no idea what happened. No heat, no cold, no other product that came in contact with the outside of the bottle and cap....Unless the argan oil has an expiration date after which it becomes like acid through plastic/rubber, I don't know what happened. 

If you use these products, just make sure you watch for black residue (which I'm sure are not healthy to spread on your face). I'm lucky that the damage in mine was very noticeable, but not sure if it could happen to other bottles and have only subtle internal damage that spreads in the oil but doesn't damage the cap on the outside or infect the tube. 

Also, this is not against the company. I still use Josie Maran's product, just I check them before use! 

Black liquid residue within the oilBlack liquid residue within the oilrubber/plastic liquid residue stuck in tuberubber/plastic liquid residue stuck in tubeBroken cap and rubber liquid on bottle lidBroken cap and rubber liquid on bottle lid

RE: Josie Maran Argan Oil Bottle Issue - Important Warning

Thanks for sharing this! I love Josie’s Argan oil. I didn’t have the decomposing rubber issue however, I didn’t have an issue with leakage and the rubber stopper piece coming apart. 😕 hopefully this will be fixed

Oh maybe that gives you the opportunity to take prettyinp...

Oh maybe that gives you the opportunity to take prettyinpa suggestion below and put it in a different container? This way you are certain to avoid this issue! Hopefully you don't experience this 🙂

Re: Josie Maran Argan Oil Bottle Issue - Important Warning

YUP.  I just had this happen! It was a travel size Argan Oil, part of a Josie Maran kit that I loved.  In this case, I’ve been toting it around on planes and didn’t leave it anywhere for too long. It’s disconcerting to wipe black tarry muck from the top of the dropper.  It’s also annoying since this stuff isn’t cheap! 

Sorry to hear! It seems to happen when you have had the b...

Sorry to hear! It seems to happen when you have had the bottle for a while, making it hard to go back to Sephora for an exchange/return! It's definitely frustrating given the price point... I hope you didn't lose too much product or that you were able to get refunded!

I've had this happen to droppers on essential oil bottles. I think the oil causes the rubber in the dropper part to decompose. Which is kinda stupid that an oil type product has this kind of applicator and not a pump. I put my oils in a pump type dispenser and now they don't get gross.

Putting it into a pump, even if glass bottle...doesn’t that still put the oil into contact with plastic?  The plastic tube down inside the oil might breakdown as well?  You won’t see that as the tube is clear.  I feel like I read no oil should be in plastic so I’m thinking no plastic should be in the oil?  Just pondering.

I hadn't experienced that yet.  Thanks for sharing a solution!

Sadly this happened to me 3x. I don't know why more people do not mention this. It's still an on going thing.

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 9 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
Photos3
  • Broken cap and rubber liquid on bottle lid
  • Black liquid residue within the oil
  • rubber/plastic liquid residue stuck in tube
testing