Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Japanese skincare: SKII, Tatcha and more

Hi ladies, lately I've been into SKII and Tatcha, the two skincare lines from Japan. So I thought I would open a thread where we can all share our experience about these awesome brands. And if you know any other great skincare product(s) from Japan, why not share it with other Beauty Insiders so we can all be pretty and happy 🙂

Please include the followings with your post:

• Your age and type of skin
  • Brand name(s) and product(s)
  • Your experience
  • Tips

Re: Japanese skincare: SKII, Tatcha and more

Having used both products, which one is your favorite one?

I am 17 with combination skin. I love Shiseido's Ibuki Protective Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 18. It keeps my skin feeling soft all day and it even has SPF in it so I don't get a tan by the end of the day.shiseido.jpg

Hey fellow beauty lovers! I am currently living in Japan (originally from Texas!) and have been loving using the SK II Facial Treatment Essence. This is really the only product I've been using for the past two months with regular moisturizer and sunscreen throughout the day. My face has cleared up so much since I don't wear makeup due to the humidity but SK II is the real deal y'all!! Hope you can give it a try if you're willing to invest in the skincare!! 🙂 

Sure, but Missha Time Revolution First Treatment Essence...

Sure, but Missha Time Revolution First Treatment Essence is much cheaper. In fact, as "pitera" is an industrial byproduct of sake-making, it's worth pennies and can be found in tons of Korean and Japanese drugstore products.

I use Shu Uemura's premium cleansing oil. It removes all...

I use Shu Uemura's premium cleansing oil. It removes all my makeup without drying my skin. My favorite sunscreen is the Shiseido sunscreen (the one in the blue bottle with spf50 PA+++). It doesn't leave a white cast and doesn't leave me with a greasy shine like some other sunscreens.

DId anyone try Senka Perfect Whip cleanser?

It has a crazy high pH.

It has a crazy high pH.

RE: Japanese skincare: SKII, Tatcha and more

I love the SK-II rna eye cream. I just started using the dupe for their essence - Missha.

I tried Tatcha and had the worst reaction to it. I'll never try it again. I tried SKII, but I didn't notice a difference.  I use the cheaper brands like Biore, but I only use their cleansers.  I have oily/acne skin, and it doesn't seem like any of these products benefit me.  I do like Japanese shampoo/conditioner, but they're just too expensive for me. 

Anonymous Insider

I used SK II essence in the past. I saw a noticeable different when I stop using it. The 5.4 oz bottle last me for more than a year since I only use it at night time. My skin loved it. The only reason I stopped using it is because of the hefty price. I would definitely use it in the future when my skin actually need that potent fermented yeast for anti aging. 

I have a coupon for a free travel size with any purchase for my birthday; you may have just sold me on trying it! It's been on my wishlist for a while

Ugh yes, me too! I stopped using it for two weeks (I did carry on on vacation) and I honestly saw a difference in my skin. I guess I need to buy a replacement bottle soon! 

I use the tatcha water cream and I'm on my second jar now! It's so great and melts right into the skin. The packaging also makes you feel good about the product you're using. I want to try their lip balm but I don't know if it's worth it. Has anyone used it before?

I have the Biore sunscreen (old version) and I love it, alcohol or no :).

I think the only other Japanese product I have is the Kikumasamune Sake Skin Lotion High Moisture. It's a moisturizing toner and I pat it on, usually in 3 layers, before I apply my essences and whatnot. I know a lot of people love it but I don't really know that it's doing too much for my skin. It comes in a giant bottle (with a not very good pump dispenser - I poured it into a spray bottle) and is quite inexpensive, so I don't feel bad about buying it. I have read that some people use it before applying body lotion, so I might do that in the winter just to use it up. 

Tatcha isn't from Japan.  It's an american brand that makes some of their products in Japan.  Sort of annoying that they market otherwise (do a google search for "korean skincare" and see what paid results turn up).

I have used almost all of SK-II skincare, and frankly, it is too strong for me. Tatcha is as well, although I have not ttied their mist as I have ano allergy to cucumbers. K-beauty is kind of where it's at, I am afraid. Let me know if you need a distinction between the two. 

(I'm 23 with sensitive/combo skin)

love Shiseido's Urban Environment Oil-Free UV Protector SPF 42 sunscreen. It's lightweight and not at all greasy, so it works really well when layering under foundation and concealer. It dries down really quickly too. I keep bouncing around with different sunscreens (MAC Studio Moisture Fix SPF 15 or La Roche-Posay Anthelios Mineral SPF 50), but Shiseido is by far my favorite.

The Tatcha is a great product. They use fermentation so the absorption is instant. I won't use SK-II - their products contain parabens.

Re: RE: Japanese skincare: SKII, Tatcha and more

The anti-paraben idea is really more of a scaremongering tactic. There's no scientific evidence that parabens are bad (although of course YMMV and there are probably people who are allergic/sensitive). That said @Bearmunk although many people certainly swear by the SK-II essence, I think the price tag is a bit absurd and you can find almost identical products for cheaper (e.g. Missha, CosRX--these are two fairly widely recommended Korean skincare brands). 

Another Japanese inspired brand that I have great reviews about is Shu Uemera. Their shampoos have changed my hair for the better!! I have only tried samples of their skin care line but I have loved everything that I have tested.  The cleansing oil ultimate8  feels wonderful and soothing and effective removes my makeup.  I will purchase the jumbo size of that when it comes back in stock.  Like I said, once I find something I like, I can justify bulk purchases to bring the unit cost down as I know I will use it up.

as an aside... boy would I love to visit Japan one day!

30 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos4
  • 61Cu1gIfErL._SY679_
  • shiseido_eudermine_bottles.png
  • shiseido.jpg
testing