Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Is my skincare routine correct? (Dry skin)

hello! I’ve been trying to create a skin care routine that is affective over the last few months but I’m not confident in it. I’m in my late twenties and tend to have dryer skin aside from my tzone getting oily if it’s a humid day. My problem areas are fine lines in my tzone, dry patches, dark spots around jawline, and texture all over. I’m trying to get more even, bright, plump skin.

this is my current routine, what am I missing?

cleanser - cerave hydrating facial cleanser

exfoliant - Paulas choice bha 

vit c - the inkey list 15% vitamin c serum

Hyla - neutrogena hydro boost hyaluronic acid serum 

Moisturizer - I switch between the neutrogena hydro boost gel lotion, elf daily moisturizer, and cerave daily moisturizer.

Every 3 days I use differen at night when I cleanse and moisturize before bed. Is this a smart retinol to use or should I use something more gentle? 

any types of products that you think I should add? I haven’t started adding sunscreen yet because I work from home and in a very gloomy cloudy state. I also haven’t found a daily sunscreen that doesn’t have a white cast or doesn’t get flakey so I would love recommendations.

Re: Is my skincare routine correct? (Dry skin)

Hello! The routine you've got looks good so far. I'd worry less about having a """Correct""" routine and more about having a routine you enjoy that fits your budget and your needs.

Differen looks to only be a 0.1% retinol, so if you're using it with no irritation then you can keep using it or increase the usage. You won't find much that's lower than 0.1% ( The Ordianry line starts at 0.2% The Ordinary Retinol 0.2% in Squalane, Signs of Aging Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL ) You can also consider using a higher strength retinol in the areas where you're seeing those fine lines

I've found that Ascorbic Acid forms of Vitamin C are too harsh for my skin, so I use specifically Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate because it's been shown to reduce acne and inflammation. It's a very specific form so I had to hunt down a serum for it, but it's my favorite and it's more stable than regular ascorbic.

You also may have dehydrated, not dry skin (at least I do). My skin produces plenty of oil all over but will still get tight and flaky if not moisturized. If your skin is dehydrated the hylauronic acid might be drawing some of the water out of your skin so you can see what happens when you discontinue use, or you can add a mist (I use Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow Ultra-Fine Mist 2.53 oz/ 75 mL) to help give the HA some water to hold onto. Alternately an oil like jojoba seed or rosehip seed oil can help reduce your skin's sebum production (rosehip seed oil is also a natural source of vitamin A, AKA retinol). You can buy them quite cheaply as massage oils or essential oil carrier oils, just be sure to watch the ingredients to be sure it's only the oil in there.

I might suggest adding an AHA exfoliant too if you're looking for better texture. You can start with something fairly light like The Ordinary Mandelic Acid 10% + HA 1 oz/ 30 mL or The Ordinary Lactic Acid 5% + HA 1 oz/ 30 mL. Use a small amount to start with and always patch-test before you slather it on. Dark spots can be combated with Hydroquinone, though you may need to discuss it with a dermatologist to get it.

For indoor (even on cloudy days) you generally want to go for an SPF of 15, even if just to get used to wearing it regularly. I like Cetaphil's spf 15 moisturizer, which is a chemical sunscreen and doesn't produce any white cast, I've never had it get flaky on me in years of use.

Re: Is my skincare routine correct? (Dry skin)

Retinol you want to be careful with. It’s a very drying ingredient and depending on the percentage, it can be very active. Essentially it tricks your skin into thinking it’s younger to help with collagen production and skin cell turnover. Start off with using it once a week for a month and then slowly bring it into your night routine more frequently. I’d recommend ideally for 3 nights a week. But it takes time to get there! Pair it with a deeply nourishing and hydrating cream to prevent any dryness and irritation. If you notice that you are flaking or becoming itchy or irritated, reduce the use. 

as for SPF without white cast, try Supergoop Unseen Sunscreen! It’s clear and it doesn’t flake. I also love Shiseidos SPF. Specifically the stick. It’s clear too!

Hope this helps! Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen Invisible Broad Spectrum SPF 40 PA +++ The INKEY List Retinol Fine Lines and Wrinkles Serum 1 oz / 30 ml Shiseido Clear Sunscreen Stick SPF 50 0.7 oz / 20 g 

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing