Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Is it worth the hype?

Hi, I’ve always wanted to try La Mer face cream and I was wondering if it is worth the price tag attached to it or is there a product I can try that works just as well if not better within a reasonable price range?  I just bought Sunday Riley’s tidal wave , can’t wait to see if that works well! 

Re: Is it worth the hype?

For such an expensive stuff, petrolatum being the third ingredient... it's a big fat no from me.

@danibe I personally don’t think it’s worth it. The product itself is not unique or special, and you could get better moisturizers for much cheaper!

@danibe I got a DS of La Mer Mini Crème de la Mer Moisturizer 0.5 oz/ 15 mL and I was surprised that I like how it worked.  However, I stopped using it almost immediately once I found out it had eucalyptus which is a skin irritant.  It also really bothered me that it smelled like cheap-o Nivea.  Here's the review from beautypedia, which gives if 1/5 stars:

Spoiler

Crème De La Mer is the original product created by aerospace physicist Max Huber, as described in the brand summary for La Mer. As enticing as this dramatic story sounds, the reality is that this very basic cream doesn’t contain anything particularly extraordinary or unique, unless you want to believe that seaweed extract (sort of like seaweed tea) can in some way heal burns and scars, but there is no research to support that claim. Even if it could, burns and scars don’t have much to do with wrinkling, and this product is now being sold as a wrinkle cream.

According to Susan Brawley, professor of plant biology at the University of Maine, “Seaweed extract isn’t a rare, exotic, or expensive ingredient. Seaweed extract is readily available and [is] used in everything from cosmetics to food products and medical applications.” So why then is this product so expensive?

The price really is shocking considering that Crème de la Mer contains mostly seaweed extract, mineral oil, Vaseline, glycerin, wax-like thickening agents, lime extract, plant oils, plant seeds, minerals, vitamins, more thickeners, and preservatives. This rather standard moisturizer also contains some good antioxidants, but the jar packaging won’t keep them stable during use. This also contains a skin-stressing amount of eucalyptus oil, as well as Kathon CG, a preservative that is recommended for use only in rinse-off products. Consumers who have a “steadfast devotion” to this product are not only wasting their money but also hurting their skin.

A good moisturizer doesn’t need to cost a fortune or come in fancy packaging with legions of hype to really work. You’ll find affordable, research-backed options on our Best Moisturizers list on Beautypedia.

Thanks! 

I got a deluxe sample of the gel-cream from La Mer, let me say this: it feels great the first few times using it, but then its fine like some other moisturisers.

It smells nice, but in my opinion i dont think its that special, its way too expensive for whats in it.

They make it expensive because of how they say they produce it (having sounds or music "treatment" done to the products...... ) something around that, like... ok no.

Thank you for this response , super helpful.  I tend not to believe the hype but sometimes it gets the best of me, lol.  

I know right lol, i heard about the sound/music thing way later after trying the gel, and like i said, even before i heard about it, after a few times using it i found it was just ok and not that special.

I also kept getting a few white heads because theyre products are heavy enough.

If you still really feel like experiencing La Mer, try to get a deluxe sample or a travel size of products.

@danibe @Everyone has different opinions on it. Some say yes and some say no. I would get a sample and test it out for yourself before committing to a full size. Or get their discovery/intro set so you can try the brand out first. 

Thanks, I’ll ask for a sample and see if it is worth it.  

9 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 13 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing