Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Is it true that clay masks deplete your skin of moisture?

Is there any proof of what some people say about clay masks?  Do you guys know if they really do deplete your skin of moisture?
I always use clay masks because I feel like they make my pores cleaner which is in turn conducive to better absorption of all the skincare but I've heard some people say that they dry out our skin if used often.  So I'm hesitant to reach for them as often now.  Can someone shed some light on that, please?..

Re: Is it true that clay masks deplete your skin of moisture?

Clay masks certainly can be drying @Nikatrondepending on your skin, duration of use (don't let it over dry and crack on your skin!), formula or how many times they're being used. It typically isn't recommended to use more than 2x per week. I use a charcoal mask 1x a week and clay one 1x week, typically, but always make sure to follow with a hydrating and moisturizing routine, which can really help, and personally, on my dryish skin don't find that it is too much. But that's just my skin. If you find you're using too often and it is stripping your skin of moisture, then BHAs are really great to help clear pores, and there's a variety of toners, serums and masks that can be used. 

Thank you so much for your reply, Haley!
Is there a BHA product that you would recommend?  My skin is used to retinol so it's probably not very sensitive...?

@Nikatron I'm really liking theFarmacy Deep Sweep 2% BHA Pore Cleaning Toner with Moringa + Papaya 4.0 oz/ 120 mL! I also use the Sunday Riley U.F.O. Salicylic Acid BHA Treatment Face Oil for spot treatment.

A lot of people really like Paula's Choice BHA products. I unfortunately haven't tried because I hate international shipping.

There's also the Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow PHA + BHA Pore-Tight Toner 5.07 oz/ 150 mL. This also have a PHA, which is another type of chemical exfoliator, so it requires a bit more attention. Theres some more from K Beauty brands that have AHA/BHA or all three.

With the leave on products, if you're just using a BHA, then you could use in same routine with a retinol. If using BHA product that also has AHA or PHA, then maybe start by alternating with retinol.

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 2 Contributors
testing