Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Is it OK to use AHA or BHAs on dehydrated skin?

I have super hydrated/dry skin and was wondering whether or not it's safe to use AHA/BHA products? I've seen mixed reviews online. Some say that using them on dry skin can actually rush the aging process... Not sure if that's legit or not, so hoping you all can provide some insight 🙂 Thanks in advance!

Re: Is it OK to use AHA or BHAs on dehydrated skin?

Hi @seras6! I have dehydrated-combination skin that gets dehydrated and dry this time of the year. I use AHAs and BHAs year round. @6come6 @glynroo posted great advice regarding caring for your skin when using acids and I second both of their comments. With any acids you’ll want to see how your skin responds to them and should always wear SPF. 

I rotate between different acids but two of my favorites contain both AHAs and BHAs - Drunk Elephant T.L.C. Sukari Babyfacial™ AHA + BHA Mask 1.69 oz/ 50 mLand Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta® Extra Strength Daily Peel Pads 30 Treatments + 5 Bonus. Both have done wonders for my dehydrated skin, sloughing away dead skin cells, allowing my other skincare products to work better and they leave my skin looking fresh and bright. 

Re: Is it OK to use AHA or BHAs on dehydrated skin?

The advantage of BHA is that it works through oil so I'd skip it unless you're dealing with an oil problem on some part of your face and AHAs don't work. But you could get benefit from AHAs. Lactic acid tends to work especially well for people with drier skin. Start with something gentle and in a suitable formula. And be extremely careful about sun protection!

RE: Is it OK to use AHA or BHAs on dehydrated skin?

@seras6 Hi. My best piece of advice for you is to see how your skin reacts to the product(s). If it is your first time using acids, I would start out slow. Also, you may want to choose one or the other but not both at the same time. You can also do a spot test. And needless to say, you should put moisture back into your skin. If you are going to use an acid, especially an AHA, in the morning, please please please use a facial sunscreen after application. You probably already know this, but hopefully, some of this helps. Good luck
3 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing