From makeovers to personalized skincare consultations

Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware

I'm in need of some serious help. (Skin care)

I am new to the beauty game, I've always bought cheap drugstore makeup and skin care products and I'm looking to build a more high end skin care regimen. I have dry, sensitive skin with ft patches which my make up clings to. I have very large pores that I would like to minimize. I would also like to even my skin tone and brighten my complexion. As far as acne goes I have a few scars, I get white heads frequently but not many at a time and I have a lot of black heads. I don't like the way my makeup looks on my skin, when I look close I can see even more clearly all of my imperfections. I see girls with flawless looking skin and that is what I want to achieve. So please please please if you could take a second to reply to this with the best of the best products you've tried for 1. Moisturizing 2. Minimizing pores and clearing your skin 3. Getting rid of dark circles under your eyes 4. Evening your skin tone and texture 5. Brightening your skin I appreciate any opinions I can get!

Re: I'm in need of some serious help. (Skin care)

The most IMPORTANT pieces of advice I can give you:

1. Patch test each product.

2. Do NOT add more than one new product a week. If you have a reaction or your skin becomes dehydrated, you may not be able to figure out the culprit if you've added new products to the routine. It's hard not to do but I promise it will be worth it.

3. MOST IMPORTANT: Use acids sparingly and rotate them. You can seriously eff up your skin's moisture barrier with even OTCs and it could take months to heal where any acids (except for Azelaic and Hyaluronic). 

Hey! So, lucky for you, Sephora is GREAT with the combos where you can try out a bunch of products in smaller sizes. That way you can experience a whole range of things for less, and you're not stuck with a $50 bottle of something you don't like. 

Your skin sounds just like mine. Ole Henriksen's 3 Little Wonders is a fabulous place to start. It's a mere $25 but it gives you enough product for probably 2-3 months, long enough to test out a product to see if it really changes stuff. This is a great place to start. https://www.sephora.com/product/3-little-wonders-mini-P389051?skuId=1910777&icid2=products%20grid:p3...

The Truth Serum is a brightening vitamin c serum. It smooths your skin and brightens scars.

The Invigorating Night Transformation gel is AHA-packed, helping with resurfacing/evening texture from scars. 

The Sheer Transformation moisturizer...oh what a moisturizer. So silky smooth. 

This was my first set coming out of drugstore treatments, and I was blown away. I have since moved up in budget, but this is the stuff that made me realize--your face is what you will always have. Put the money first into preserving and protecting it. Then you can justify spending the bucks on makeup. (Or better yet, you won't want to.) 

Good luck!

Also, Ole Henriksen formulates without parabens, sulfates, or phthalates. It's all the good stuff. It can be super overwhelming trying to figure out what skincare you need, but I really recommend this set. It's a stress-free, uncomplicated way to cover your major bases without worrying if your products are counteracting each other. 

@Valeriekatherin  I think there are good skincare products at every price point.  I encourage you to read "The Bible" by Paula Begoun to develop a good regime, and to read beautypedia.com lsit of "best of" products.  Here are some of my recs:

1. Moisturizing: CeraVe PM

2. Minimizing pores and clearing your skin: FAB Face Cleanser; BHA by Paula's Choice

5. Brightening your skin: I've found Vitamin C to be helpful (by Paula's Choice) and mechanical exfoliator (Philosophy MIcrodelivery Exfoliating Face Wash - many on BIC don't like scrubs, so I will let you decide for yourself)

Good luck!  🙂

You need a gentle cleanser twice a day. I like First Aid Beauty Face Cleanser or Korres Greek Yoghurt Foaming Cream Cleanser.

An exfoliator after (once a day), I prefer chemical. First Aid Beauty Facial Radiance Pads are really gentle and for sensitive skin. Or, Sunday Riley Good Genes (not for sensitive skin).

Moisturizer (bring it up to your under eyes, use twice a day)

Drunk Elephant La La Retro, First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream, Peter Thomas Roth Cloud Drench Cream

RE: I'm in need of some serious help. (Skin care)

Hi there! I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this. I can relate as I have been in your shoes. For brightening, I would recommend a serum or oil with VitC. You will also see that scarring lightens and your overall complexion improves. Not sold through Sephora, CosRX Lightening Triple Vit C has worked wonders- it’s one of my staples. As for products sold at Sephora, check out Korres Rose Vit C Brightening Oil. Other awesome one with a heavier price are Kora Organics Noni Glow oil and Biossance Squalane and Vit C. For helping with acne and blemishes, I’d like to recommend ones with BHA, basically salicylic acid. Peter Thomas Roth sells maximum strength complexion pads. Again, this products helped my skin loads. On the more the gentle side, FAB sells radiance pads that have worked well per reviews I have read. Yes, treat the issues, but please stay moisturized. Also, a high SPF is a must every day. I truly hope this helps! Sometimes, the flawless skinned people did not always have perfect skin. Sometimes, they started right where we started. It’s a journey and I wish you the best of luck!!🦋

My personal favorites for sensitive or dry skin (I'm in the same boat)

Moisturizer:

Fresh- Rose Deep Hydration Face Cream (Also love the Rose toner). Really soothes and calms the skin. Feels great on your skin

Kate Somerville- Goat Milk Moisturizing Cream or Oil Free Moisturize

Dry Skin-

Mix a little Tarte- Maracuja Oil into your routine.

Add a hydrating serum (personally I like hyaluronic acid serums) like Hungarian Water Essence or PTR Cloud Serum

Also, think about trying an overnight hydrating mask like Clinique Moisture Surge Overnight or Laneige Water Sleeping Mask

Pores Control-

Origins Active Charcoal Mask 1x week

If you're willing to super splurge Skinceuticals C E Ferulic (not available at Sephora)

Make Up Clinging Issue-

MUFE Smoothing Primer (I swear by this, even days when I get break outs this smooths my skin and makes it look flawless, I also use the HD and Aqua foundations from MUFE, blends together perfectly)

Feel free to message me if you want to chat about any of this!

Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing