Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Skincare Aware

How do I restore radiance to my dull, tired skin (and combo) skin?

Lately my skin has been looking very dull. I have combination skin and don't want to use anything that might aggravate my occasionaly breakouts.

Exfoliation is the key to restoring radiant luminous skin...

Exfoliation is the key to restoring radiant luminous skin from dull tired skin. Followed by a moisturizer that not only protects your natural skin barrier but helps to improve it. 

Philosophy Microdelivery Peel was life changing for me. 5 minutes once a week is all the time you need to spend and your skin will feel amazing. What surprised me the most about this peel is it wasn’t too harsh for even sensitive skin. I get occasional breakouts but when I do, they linger and won’t go away. Between this treatment and a retinol treatment (who would have thought would bring out my black heads) My occasional breakouts are stopped dead in their tracks. Im not sure what is recommended for people with more acne prone skin or regular breakouts, I just know for me it helped.

Philosophy The Microdelivery Peel

Other forms of exfoliation that work wonders

Clarisonic Mia™ Skin Cleansing System - Pink The cleanser that comes with this is also amazing <3 you can still use this twice daily

Boscia Luminizing Black Mask, $34 I love this mask, I will alternate 2 weeks Microdelivery and one week Black Mask. i know some women who do both, but again each skin type is different. So it’s always best to start out less often and work your way up.

Ceramides, niacinamide and hyaluronic acid, are some key ingredients I look for in a good moisturizer. Unfortunately the brand I use is an OTC  brand for only $12 and I don’t believe Sephora would be o.k. with my sharing a non Sephora brand. However, being the skin care obsessed person that I am, I have tried many brands from Sephora and often rotate. I mix my Moisturizer also.

I add this in with my moisturizer or wear underneath;

Philosophy When Hope Is Not Enough Replenishing Hyaluronic Acid/Peptide Capsules

Other items I swear by for healthy, radiant, younger looking skin

Philosophy On A Clear Day® Retinol Clarifying Lotion

Great Skin Is In™ Deluxe Set for Normal/Combination Skin 

The Microdelivery Exfoliating Wash

Booster Caps Retinol Capsules

Boscia Clear Complexion Tonic with Botanical Blast

Good Luck! I hope I helped.

The first step towards improving dullness is exfoliation....

The first step towards improving dullness is exfoliation.  Exfoliation clears away dead skin cells which are a cause of dullness.  The second step is to mositurize effectively.  Moisture increases luminosity. Its why people with oily skin look shiny.  So to increase luminosity, moisturize regularly. Once you have done this protect you skin with sunscreen.  Sun damage can be a cause of dullness, so prevent your skin from becoming dull with a broad spectrum UVA/UVB suncreen.  

If none of these work you can try improving your diet. Try to consume more omega fatty acids, found in fish, nuts, and flax seed.  At the same time try to reduce the amount of unhealthy fats, such as trans fats and saturated fats.  It is also good to drink plenty of water.  Just as you moisturize from the outside with facial creams, moisturize from the inside by staying hydrated.

I'm still testing it out but the nice Beauty Advisor at m...

I'm still testing it out but the nice Beauty Advisor at my local (Burlingame, CA) Sephora gave me a sample of Algenist Moisturizer . I'm loving it so far.  My skin is softer, smoother and brighter.  Granted it's only been 2 days, but loving it so far.

Caudalie Vinoperfect Radiance Serum has really made a dif...

Caudalie Vinoperfect Radiance Serum has really made a difference in my skin. It was looking tired from winter (we get long winters here, it snowed the day before yesterday)!  Anyways, using this has brightened up my skin and it feels great when I put it on. As the other posters mentioned, exfoliation is always good for brightening up your skin, the Mia by Clarisonic is great for exfoliation, clearing out pores, and has helped with my acne. (I have the Clarisonic Plus because I like the body brush, but the Mia does the same thing for faces)>

Caudalie:http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P94421&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=4171

Hope this helps!

I love the Laura Mercier Flawless Skin face polish.  It's...

I love the Laura Mercier Flawless Skin face polish.  It's gentle enough to use daily and leaves my skin smooth with a nice glow. 

First Aid Beauty Facial Radiance Pads are life-changing!...

First Aid Beauty Facial Radiance Pads are life-changing!  I find most scrubs/exfoliators too harsh but these guys work wonders (and are cheaper than a lot of other radiance products).  Starting at the root of the problem (skincare regimen) is probably the best solution but you may also want to try a brightening primer.  May favorite is Benefit That Gal -- it gives you a dewy look without the shimmer or greasy feeling.  Plus it comes in a stick so its easy to bring in your bag for touch ups.

I love Philosophy's Miracle Worker A.M. duo.  It really d...

I love Philosophy's Miracle Worker A.M. duo.  It really does work miracles.  I am prone to acne as well, but this product left my skin clear and radiant!! Smiley Happy  If you're looking for something to add more color as well as glow, try Dr. Dennis Gross's glow pads. hope this helps! 

I find that a good exfolliant seems to really help this i...

I find that a good exfolliant seems to really help this issue. It helps to clear the skin of dead skin cells, which can cause your skin to look dull. It also makes it so that your moistuizer will not absorb properly and will leave skin looking ick.

I have tried a few exfolliants, but if you have sensitive or problem skin you need to be carefull it isn't too "aggressive" or it could just make it worse. Maybe ask for a few samples at Sephora to take home and try to see which one will work best for you.

8 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 8 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors