Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Hi everybody!

I recently started getting into makeup and was curious about what good brands I should use. At the moment I have SEPHORA COLLECTION, Tarte, Two faced, and some Urban Decay products. Are their any great brands or products for getting rid of pimples? I also currently am doing face wash at morning and night then a moisturizer for my skincare routine, is their anything I should add to my routine? Thanks!

Re: Hi everybody!

🙂

Hi @AcocadoQueen12 !  When building a skincare routine beyond the basics (cleanser, moisturizer, AM sunscreen), build it around any skincare issues or goals you have for your skin (like acne) rather than random products various folks might say you need. Example: not everyone needs a separate vitamin C serum or niacinamide serum since both ingredients are included in various skincare products, especially niacinamide. If one of your skincare goals was reducing hyperpigmentation, then a standalone vitamin C or niacinamide serum might be worth considering. It all depends on your particular skin goals. 

That said, there is one product you need (that should be part of any basic routine) that you didn't mention. I'll include it in my list: 

1. Cleanser - you already have one, yay! 
  2. Treatment for acne - the usual go-tos are salicylic acid (BHA) or benzoyl peroxide, which kill acne-causing bacteria. BHA is also an exfoliant, so try to use it no more than 3 times a week. Benzoyl peroxide can be irritating so you may want to limit frequency of that, too. Some good options are Paula's Choice Mini Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant 1 oz/ 30 mL , Paula's Choice CLEAR Daily Skin Clearing Treatment with 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide 2.25 oz/ 67 mL , and The INKEY List Beta Hydroxy Acid (BHA) Blemish + Blackhead Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL . Also consider azelaic acid, especially if your pimples leave dark spots behind. Azelaic acid can fade those spots, plus attack acne-causing bacteria and give your skin an antioxidant boost. You can use it alongside BHA with no issues. Consider Paula's Choice 10% Azelaic Acid Booster 1 oz/ 30 mL or The Ordinary Azelaic Acid 10% Suspension Brightening Cream 1 oz/ 30 mL . 
  3. Moisturizer - you've already got this too! 
  4. Sunscreen (morning only) - broad spectrum, at least SPF 30, applied EVERY day to all skin exposed to sunlight (including your ears, nape of neck if exposed, etc.), all year long, regardless of weather or season, even if you're indoors near a window or driving/riding in a car. Also, reapply sunscreen every couple hours throughout the day. Some folks think you don't need sunscreen if the weather's overcast, but the sun doesn't stop shooting UV rays on cloudy days or in winter—and clouds don't block those rays. A reliable popular option is Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen Invisible Broad Spectrum SPF 40 PA +++ 1.7 oz/ 50 mL , but there are plenty of others out there, including some drugstore options that work well. 

@AcocadoQueen12 @This all depends on your budget. 

Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing