Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|
Anonymous Insider

Hi, I’m an older woman (60+) who wants to learn to look my best (again). Looking for what works for you ladies & what doesn’t.

After some health issues & aging, looking for advice for what works for combination skin. Any advice is appreciated. Chemo killed the cancer but it did a number on everything else. Thank you!

RE: Hi, I’m an older woman (60+) who wants to learn to look my best (again). Looking for what works for you ladies & what doesn’t.

Glad you are feeling better! ❤️❤️ I agree with the above post about FAB skincare line. I am using their entire line for “normal” skin and I am noticing a huge difference in the texture of my skin. More smooth and radiant. I also think Fresh and Philosophy are great brands. I’ve used Lancôme for many years, in my 20’s and early 30’s and although I always loved their products, I didn’t care for all the scents. I would recommend treating yourself to a facial and asking for skincare recommendations. Murad is a good skincare line and they offer some products in 30 day trial sizes, so you can decide if you like it or not.

Re: Hi, I’m an older woman (60+) who wants to learn to look my best (again). Looking for what works for you ladies & what doesn’t.

Hi CJ, I think you & I are in a similar place.  I had perfect skin until I moved to Hawaii.  The tropics have their own issues, and then was on chemo to treat something I did not have 😛 (the docs here, mostly, would not graduate anywhere else).  It left me with a severely compromised immune system.

Both because of the pathogens in the tropics, and your treatments,, I would go lightly, be careful about what you use and focus on things with healthy ingredients.  Sephora's "clean" is not my clean.  (They mark things clean if they do not have the worst offenders.  Some are really clean, some are not.).  One of the better moisturizers I have found for aging skin is Origins 3 part harmony line.  I like the moisturizer anyway. (Personally hated the soft cream though, from the same line).  It is pricey, but rich in oils, so you only need a little.

I also like FAB (first aid beauty) moisturizer.  It has been recommended by dermatologists and won allure's "best of" for exema, which is dry skin caused by autoimmune response.   It has coloidal oatmeal which is very  soothing..

I use FAB as my day cream and 3 part harmony at night.

I would steer clear of clinicals for now, unless you clear them with your docs.  Moisturizers are oil and wax, for the most part.  They form a protective barrier which prevents evaporation of water from your skin, and can be nourishing, depending on the oils.  I look for Almond oil and apricot, two of the best.  That said, you might want to look at L'occitane's Almond line.  They have some very nice products.

Some clinicals break down your skin's barrier (the acids, peels).  You want to avoid those.  What you want are things which are nourishing and protective, not harsh.

Anonymous Insider

RE: Re: Hi, I’m an older woman (60+) who wants to learn to look my best (again). Looking for what works for you ladies & what doesn’t.

Thank you so much Dr Lisa. My immune system will remain compromised as I have RA & receive RITUXAN, a Chemo drug, to control it. So I guess we’ll be right there together. I’m sorry you got Chemo for something you didn’t have, geez. I do appreciate the time you took to make recommendations so at least now I can try some different things & see what works.

RE: Hi, I’m an older woman (60+) who wants to learn to look my best (again). Looking for what works for you ladies & what doesn’t.

Glad to hear you are feeling better ! Skincare is key after any health issues especially after chemo, you really want to bring your skin back to health as well. Hydrating and nourishing moisturizers , soft and gentle cleansers , these will be ideal to start bringing your skin to optimal health. Sephora also has a ‘Clean’ category which is more natural and less abrasive ingredients. Try Tatcha-Pure One Step Camellia Cleansing Oil to cleanse and remove makeup, this is gentle and effective but won’t dry out or strip your skin. To hydrate consider using something like Drunk Elephant - LaLa Retro Whipped Cream, it’s super hydrating easily absorbed and very gentle. It’s become a iconic new product that people of all ages and skin types are really raving about !!! And lastly incorporate a good hydrating nourishing mask, masks are an ideal way to deliver fast results , Farmacy - Honey Potion Renewing Mask is great to nourish your skin quickly back to optimal health and hydration !!! Hope this helps !! ☺️☺️☺️🌟🌟🌟

Re: RE: Hi, I’m an older woman (60+) who wants to learn to look my best (again). Looking for what works for you ladies & what doesn’t.

@DavidBD Hi David!  I love your videos and your recommendations.  You always make sure we understand each and every product you talk about.  Your personality is amazing!  I got the Caudalie Beauty Elixir because you mentioned it in a video. 

Hi, I’m an older woman (60+) who wants to learn to look my best (again). Looking for what works for you ladies & what doesn’t.

I am a skincare junkie and so my answer is going to be based on that, not makeup. My mom went through chemo and it made her skin dry and sensitive. Using Lancome Bienfait Multivital Night (for both day & night) made a great improvement in how her skin looked and felt. A gentle cleanser great for combo skin is Tarte Deep Dive gel cleanser. If you are into a luxury treat, Tata Harper Hydrating Floral Essence is also great to use after cleansing.
Anonymous Insider

Re: Hi, I’m an older woman (60+) who wants to learn to look my best (again). Looking for what works for you ladies & what doesn’t.

Thanks so much, it’s so hot here I don’t generally wear makeup at home (Florida) because I just sweat it right off. But I believe the skincare should come 1st, if my skin is yucky to start with the makeup won’t help much. I have developed patchy dry places on my face I didn’t have before tho. I will give your suggestions a try, thanks so much!

@Anonymous Hi there ☺️ Glad that your spirit made it through too ❤️

What would you say is at the top top of your priority list or concerns? Improving the texture of your skin? Hydration? Or having fun with eyeshadow, blush, and/or lipstick? Or just finding a great foundation and keeping things simple? 

A price range and skin tone information would be helpful too 😊

Anonymous Insider

Hi, thanks so much for your response. Even better was a clean bill of health from my Oncologist today, hooray!  I guess my priorities would be hydration of skin, with combination skin that should be interesting. Texture & shrinking those pores would be nice too.  Then we can play with the other stuff. I have a fair complexion, & would like to try smaller sizes until I find some that really works. I don’t think anyone wants to spend a lot of $ on something that won’t work on them, when my schedule permits, I would like to attend a class on skin care too.

I highly recommend checking out a brand called SkinCeuticals. It's my all time favorite & it's recommended by dermatologists. Unfortunately its not sold at Sephora, but you can find it at Dermstore and Amazon.

Anonymous Insider

Thanks much, I’ll check that out also 😁

11 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 18 Hearts Given
  • 8 Contributors
testing