Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Hey there, just me again... with another problem...

So I’m not sure that this problem actually has to do with my skin. My skin looks and feels great now. But as of lately, the past two days when applying my foundation I’ve noticed either product pilling, or skin flakes. Not really sure which one it is. I think it may be both? The only thing in my routine that’s changed is I have introduced a toner which I’ve never used before. I’ve neber toned, in fear that it would dry me out when more and I also have sensitive skin. The Toner is by the body shop and it’s the Chinese Ginseing & Rice Clarifying Milky Toner. I picked it up at Marshall’s and I did research on my phone right there in the store before purchasing it. Many that claim to have sensitive skin have used this toner with no issues. Well, this one definitely stings. It’s not a “tingle” it actually stings a bit. What’s cofusing is that the stinging sensation goes away fairly quickly and when I’m done toning, my face feels so soft and it looks a lot better. So it does what it is claiming to do but it does sting which concerns me. I use facial cotton pads and I do notice that the extra residue comes off. I apply my serums and moisturizer, and I give each product 5 minutes to soak in before layering another. I use my Truth Serum, then another gold infused serum with peptides, and then my moisturizer which is OLEHENRIKSEN - Sheer Transformation® Perfecting Moisturizer. I have stopped using my primer because I ran out, and the moisturizer claims to work well in place of primer. I try to let the moisturizer soak in a little longer just because it’s layered on top of 2 serums. Even though I allow extra time for the moisturizer to soak in, I’m noticing that my foundation is not applying well at all. In certain areas of my face it looks either very flakey/blotchy or it just looks like I have dry patches that it doesn’t want to stick to. It also is starting to look pretty caked on. I have to sit there with my damp blending sponge and blend for wayyyy too long to even get it to look half way decent. But the areas I’m noticing it looking the worse are on my cheek areas closer to my nostrils, around my lips, the outer corner of my eyelids, on top of my nose (my nose actually refuses to allow my foundation to stick AT ALL it when wipes off while blending) and right below my hairline near the temple area and on the very top of my forehead. I’ve come up with a few things that it might be... either it’s just my foundation (but I own multiple foundations and they all seem to do the same thing), it could be that I need to continue using my primer, it could be that maybe I’m not giving enough time for my moisturizer to soak (but more than 5 minutes should be enough right? I mean it’s not like I’m applying it heavily and i make sure my face doesn’t still feel wet before applying makeup), and the last theory is that maybe my skin finally isn’t even dry anymore but I’m still using products that are for extra dry skin. Is it the toner? Do I need better foundation? Nothing is more frustrating than thinking you’ve finally got your skincare/makeup application process down and then quickly noticing another problem. Does anyone know what is causing my issue?? I don’t have time in the morning to deal with all of the pilling/flakiness. I’ve been late for work multiple times now becausec I’ve spent too much time trying to fix it. And I never am able to fix it. 

Re: Hey there, just me again... with another problem...

Hi @ellex0. Reading your description of what's happening with your skin, I think it boils down to skincare. I have combo/oily skin most of the time and once winter hits, the dry air combined with the central heating makes even my oily t-zone peel and flake. This is especially noticeable when I apply my foundation - I use Bare Minerals Matte. If I don't keep my skin balanced with extra moisturizing products, my skin will look flaky, dry, and quite frankly, lizard-like. 

So, all of that being said above, here's what I'd recommend: get a good acid toner, my favorite is tarte Knockout Tingle Treatment Toner 5 oz/ 150 mLand use that every other night in conjunction with your current toner - meaning, on nights you don't use your current toner, use the Tarte one. It has a 10% acid complex and will slough off dead skin cells. I hesitate to use it every night because it dries out my skin even at its oiliest in the summer. Next, I'd recommend an oil. I have two that I love - Herbivore Lapis Blue Tansy Face Oil - For Oily & Acne-Prone Skin 1.7 oz/ 50 mLand Clarins Lotus Balancing & Hydrating Face Treatment Oil 1 oz.  I use the Herbivore in the morning since it's more of a dry oil and I use the Clarins at night since it's a bit of a thicker consistency. I only use 3 drops of each. Both of these oils are light and definitely do not clog pores, instead, they've balanced out my skin. Since you already have a moisturizer that you like, after the oils sink into the skin - maybe about 5-10 minutes, put a thin layer of your moisturizer on spots that are flaky, if it's your whole face, go ahead and press the moisturizer on top of your oil. This will seal in the oil and provide a buffer against the dry winter air. 

Now, this might take a few nights for your skin to fully repair, so to kick start the process, I'd recommend getting an acid exfoliating mask, such as the Drunk Elephant T.L.C. Sukari Babyfacial™ AHA + BHA Mask 1.69 oz/ 50 mL. I use this about once a week for 25 minutes, don't use any other acid product and follow directly with my oil and moisturizer, and my skin feels so smooth that it's borderline slippery the next day! This will prep your skin beautifully for a smooth canvas that foundation can glide over easily. 

You did also say that you've ran out of your usual primer, and my suggestion is to pick this up: VOLITION BEAUTY - Prismatic Luminizing Shield SPF 50. It's a sunscreen but it's a very light fluid that has the slightest pink tinge with a dash of luminosity. This is perfect for both protecting your skin and giving it a lovely base. I use this as the last step of my morning skin care and I'm already on my second bottle. It's so important to have a sunscreen and every other one I've tried in the past has broken me out, except this one. This acts as a great primer and protection in one. 

Well, that's the end of my long post, so if you want to have a longer chat about any of these products, please let me know! I wish you the best of luck! 🙂

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 2 Contributors
testing