Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
Anonymous Insider

Help!

Im 14 years old and my mom discourages me from using skincare products or even going to the dermatologist, and she only allows me to use bar soap in washing my face. I am quite prone to pimples and I want to be able to do something about it. Pls help!

Re: Help!

I'm so sorry your mom is discouraging you from using proper skincare. She's doing nothing good for your skin and at your age it's a good time to get into a proper skincare routing. Most bar soap can be quite drying, and while your skin might be oily along with your acne, drying it out will only cause the skin to produce more oil and can make the situation worse. 

You might want to look at YouTube videos by Dr Sam Bunting. She's a dermatologist in the U.K. so her specific recommendations might not help, but her general tips might be good and your mom might be more influenced by a dermatologist's thoughts and not just yours. Here's a link to her acne video playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_f5gGIVD5nt8j9ePCuP9AwK6CWv1Wjtk

As others have said, if you have some money of your own, start at the drugstore and get yourself a few products. My recommendation would be a face wash and moisturizer from CereVe. They are a line my dermatologist recommended when I had some skin problems and they have good ingredients while being affordable. You need a good cleanser and you need something lightweight to keep your skin moisturized. After that, make sure you have a good facial sunscreen. I've only used their body sunscreen but I think CereVe has a facial one as well. If you can swing it, something with salicilic acid in it would help with the acne. If it's a toner/lotion, you'd want it after the cleanser and before moisturizer. 

Finally, something to definitely check out is Differin. It's a treatment approved by the FDA for acne treatment. It used to be prescription only but now it's over the counter and a month supply is about $12-$15 I think. You really will need to wear SPF if you use salicylic acid and/or Differin and you need moisturizer on top. Plus, sun can make acne worse so don't go without it thinking it will help dry things out. 

Another thing to remember -- it takes time to see skincare make changes. You might see good results quickly, but it can take a month to 6 weeks to really see your skin turn over. Try to not pop things if you can stand it (and definitely don't try to force anything to pop). If you do pop things, do it with clean hands and wash your face afterward. It's very tempting, but you can cause scarring and broken capillaries -- and I've got the broken capillaries to prove it. 

I wish you lots of luck. I wish I'd had someone to give me advice on good skincare when I was in your shoes 40 years ago. Luckily there are so many more things available now. Hang in there. 

@Anonymous This is an unfortunate situation.  Start with a liquid cleanser, b/c bar soap irritates the skin and can lead to pimples.  Perhaps you can get some samples from Sephora so that you mom doesn't have to purchase anything at first.  Maybe once you both see the difference then she will be willing to purchase a suitable cleanser, and you can go from there.  If cost is an issue like for most people, you can try writing to drugstore companies and telling them your situation and see if they will send you samples or coupons.  Or, you can borrow some cleanser from a trusted friend.

If your mother won't let you see your dermatologist, your pediatrician or PCP can weigh in.  If you have an appt, you may want to discreetly call ahead and give him/her a heads-up on the situation.

Good luck!

Hi, @Anonymous!  I can definitely identify!  If you are able to go to a doctor (family or derm), ask the doctor to explain to your mother the long term negative effects the acne could have on your complexion and then the long term positive effects a good skin care routine--if begun now--would have on your complexion.  And as @LyseD, ask that your doctor mention either the types of products you should use or even brand names.  Make sure s/he, you, or your mother (preferably s/he and/or you) writes down this information.  Coming from a doctor, your mother may be more likely to allow the appropriate skin care products.  Especially since you can "remind" her every now and then.

If all else fails, do what I did, save your babysitting (or other job) money and buy what you need yourself.

@Anonymous I agree with @Titian06 about saving your money if it comes to that.  I know it's hard for 14 year olds to get their hands on cash, but summer should hopefully provide you with some opportunities.  Many retailers offer generic brands that hold up well to the name brands.  I recommend starting at a retailer that offers a good return policy for used cosmetics.  Bed, Bath and Beyond has an array of products and a good return policy.  If your mother won't take you, then I'm hoping you can get to a drugstore by yourself.  Rite Aid, CVS and Walgreens all have good return policies.

xoxo

Maybe try asking your doctor to recommend a face wash -- if she does your mom may be okay with it.

Good luck

Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 23 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing