Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware

Help with skincare routine

Hi All, I am in desperate need of a skincare routine. I have noticed that most of you have far more extensive routines that what I think I can manage. I often have trouble doing a routine twice a day so I would like to keep it as simple as I can.

A little about my skin: dry, somewhat sensitive, fair with redness. I am in my mid 40’s but currently look far younger. I have some texture between my eyebrows that really shows when I wear make up.  I am currently using Elf Holy Hydration Makeup Melting Cleansing Balm as needed, Elf Holy Hydration Daily Cleanser, Pixie Glow Tonic 5% glycolic pads (3-4 times a week), CeraVe Skin Renewing Vitamin C Serum (once a day). For moisturizer I am currently using La Neige Water Bank Moisturizer and the Water Bank Sleeping mask (2 times a week). I also have Rodan & Fields Soothe moisturizer I am using up

My skin will ball up easily as I am not consistent  enough with my routine to keep it sufficiently hydrated.  It feels like sandpaper if I miss moisturizing it. I really have no idea what I NEED. I don’t usually use toners because the often burn. Any help on what I need and to keep steps fairly simple is greatly appreciated.

Re: Help with skincare routine

I am in my mid 40’s as well and honestly the best thing I have used on my skin is the Kiehl’s moisturizing cream. I live in Arizona so my face is dry most of the time but this is great for day and night. 

Re: Help with skincare routine

I think you have a pretty solid routine already, that just might need an adjustment or two. You may find that just spritzing your face with a bit of regular water before applying your moisturizer will help it feel less dry. If not, there are a few options to try.  1) a moisturizing toner that doesn't contain alcohol or witch hazel or lots of fragrance. The one I use stopped being carried by Ulta, so I don't have a recommendation on that unfortunately. 2) you might need a ceramide moisturizer; they help keep your skin barrier in tact. CeraVe bases their whole line on it, so that's a fairly inexpensive option to try. I really love Drunk Elephant lala retro moisturizer, but it's spendy. 3) maybe look in to using a facial oil with your moisturizer at night. I really love Nourish Organic pure hydrating face serum (it's an oil) that is argan and rose hip seed oils. I think you can get it at Target. I also use Herbivore oils, but those are also spendy. There are tons of options out there, but you definitely don't need to spend $$$ to find a good one.

I don't think you'll need to change all 3 things, but it all depends on how your skin response to any of the options.

For the texture you are seeing, I think if you increase the acid % in the AHA part of your routine but use in the same way, you'll see some more results. I use Drunk Elephant Framboos serum which is once again spendy, but there are lots of other options out there.

Finally, make sure you're using a sunscreen during the day (I didn't see one in your routine), especially since you're using some actives that can make you more sensitive to the sun and that will mess with your skin barrier, too.

Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing