Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Help choose a cleanser!

Okay, I know you’re supposed to double cleanse and many people like to use a balm/oil followed by a gentle foaming cleanser but I need recommendations! What do you like to use?

Re: Help choose a cleanser!

@LivLoveLuxe  Eh, you don't have to double cleanse with an oil or balm if your skin doesn't need it... 

Spoiler
I do it only if I wore tinted or thick/greasy sunscreen (double cleansing helps break up the sunscreen) or if I used powder foundation to mask a sunscreen's white cast. Some other folks double cleanse to completely remove cream or liquid foundation. But if your usual cleanser removes your sunscreen and makeup, then you probably don't need to double cleanse. 

Also, you can use a creamy non-foaming cleanser after a balm/oil if your skin does better with that type of cleanser. You just wanna make sure the cleanser doesn't leave your skin feeling tight, dry, or "squeaky clean." 

Which cleanser and balm/oil are right for you kinda depends on your skin type/behavior, any skin sensitivities you have, and what you usually put on your face during the day (as mentioned in the spoiler tag above). My facial skin is mostly-dry combo and reactive/inflammation-prone, and it hates essential oils. I use either The INKEY List Oat Makeup Removing Cleansing Balm 5 oz/ 150 mL (it's especially nice for reactive skin like mine) or Paula's Choice Omega + Complex Cleansing Balm 3.5 oz/ 104 mL as my first cleanse step. I follow with my usual PM cleanser, CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser Bar. It's kinda like the solid version of CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser, except it lathers. I use that on my face and body in the shower each night. 

Oh, and I have sensitive eyes. To remove eye makeup, I prefer using a separate makeup remover (Paula's Choice Gentle Touch Makeup Remover—the liquid, not the wipes) with reusable bamboo rounds, even if I'm going to use a balm and cleanser afterward. Not everyone needs to do that, but it reduces eye irritation for me. 

Re: Help choose a cleanser!

@LivLoveLuxe I use shu uemura Botanicoil Cleansing Oil 150 ml Glow Recipe Papaya Sorbet Smoothing Enzyme Cleansing Balm & Makeup Remover 3.4 oz/ 100 mL Sulwhasoo Mini Gentle Cleansing Oil Makeup Remover 50 mL Origins Checks and Balances™ Frothy Face Wash 

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing