Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Help! My SPF moisturizer has dimethicone in it!

I'm 32 and a few years back I was speaking to some beautiful women in their mid-40s. I asked their beauty secrets and they told me to always wear a moisturizer with SPF in it, even during winter. I've tried to heed their words, but I just realized my go-to cheapish SPF moisturizer has dimethicone in it, an ingredient I've been told to stay away from as it can lead to clogged pores and other problems. 

Now that it's autumn, I think a low SPF shall be fine - but I'm in the market for a nice, lightweight moisturizer with SPF in it that doesn't smell like sunscreen (ew!) or cake on too heavily (duh). The important thing is that the product include no ingredients that may actually cause irritation or skin problems down the road (oh yeah, I have sensitive skin, too!). The cheaper the better but I'm willing to shell out a FEW extra bucks if the product is really lovely and luxe. 

Thank you.

Re: Help! My SPF moisturizer has dimethicone in it!

Agreed with everyone below @diamondsngrrls...I don't see very strong evidence that silicone actually clogs pores. I think it's just another one of those ingredients that some people do have sensitivities to, but if your sunscreen has worked for you in the past and is not causing any issues, I don't think you need to discontinue use and look for something else.

Secondly, all of our skin is different and no one can recommend you a product that won't irritate your skin now, OR down the road. Sometimes our skin can become sensitized to items we use, and you won't know until you've tried it. It took me 4-5 months before I realized that Bite lipsticks give my lips blistery rashes. During the first 3 months, I had zero reaction to their products but now I develop a rash within 24 hours of using their products (the majority of them, anyway).

I generally stay away from silicone in non-SPF skincare because I feel that it gives a false sense of smoothness and moisture. I use Hourglass Veil Mineral primer which has silicones(and SPF 15) it, and it's been my go-to primer for over 2 years.

@diamondsngrrls I agree with the 2 posters below. If your current sunscreen hasn't caused any issues so far then it's probably not going to. What may cause problems for others may be fine for you, as everyone's skin is different.

I second skcfan. there's nothing wrong with dinethicones...

I second skcfan. there's nothing wrong with dinethicones at all if you're not sensitive to them. one of the key properties is that is is actually breathable, so clogging pores is a relative non issue. now, other ingredients in cheaper products could be the real culprit. cool a Spfs are pretty nice and will keep you under $40

@diamondsngrrls The best sunscreen is the sunscreen you'll use. Does your current one tick off all those boxes? I would keep using it. 

Silicones in moisturizers aren't bad. Some people avoid them because they're sensitive to silicone, but if you had been using your old one without even noticing then I bet you're okay

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 17 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing