Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Has anyone had a bad reaction to Drunk Elephant?

I've had a bad reaction to T.L.C. Framboos Glycolic Night Serum. This serum burnt my face, resulting in blisters, scabs, swelling and redness. I don't have sensitive skin and dread to think what my face would have been like if I did.

Has anyone experienced something similar?

Re: Has anyone had a bad reaction to Drunk Elephant?

@TexturesLB  Ouch, sorry this AHA exfoliant caused such a bad reaction! A few questions: 

1. Is this the first AHA exfoliant you’ve ever used? If not, what was your previous exfoliant? 
  2. How many times did you use this product before the bad reaction happened? Did it happen after first use? 
  3. What else did you use on your face with this product? 
  4. Do you use sunscreen daily? (If no, start doing that now to prevent further damage.) 

Some Drunk Elephant products irritated my reactive/inflammation-prone skin, but only one (the Pekee bar cleanser) caused burning and scarring—and that happened around my eyes. For that and a few other reasons, I don’t buy Drunk Elephant products. That’s just my experience though. What irritates my skin might not irritate yours. You could simply be sensitive to glycolic acid and need a gentler AHA (lactic or mandelic acid) or a PHA. 

For a few years, I’ve used Paula’s Choice 10% AHA exfoliant with no issues. That’s a brand I trust, though I can’t use all their products and a couple didn’t play nice with my skin. There’s no brand whose entire product line I can use. I ignore meaningless “clean” labeling and instead focus on knowing my own skin’s tolerances and learning about ingredients from soundly science-based resources. That’s how I weed out potentially bad-for-me products. 

@WinglessOne Thanks so much for responding and really appreciate how through you have been!

Is this the first AHA exfoliant you’ve ever used? If not, what was your previous exfoliant? 

I didn't even realise it was an exfoliant, I thought it was just a serum.  It was a gift and came as a sample with the Virgin Marula oil.

How many times did you use this product before the bad reaction happened? Did it happen after first use? 

I had used this serum before (another gift and sample size), 1 drop at night with Marula oil.  However at the time my makeup had a sunscreen of spf 30.  I was away on a meditation weekend and decided not take any makeup, just skincare.  The weather was great apart from one afternoon when I was out walking.  I think it was this reaction to the sun.

What else did you use on your face with this product? 

It was just one drop in the evening with Marula oil and I hadn't been using consistently, I took this with me to use, so maybe just two evenings before the sunny afternoon.

Do you use sunscreen daily? (If no, start doing that now to prevent further damage.) 

I din't use it as it was in my makeup but since this reaction, when I have had to go outside, I'm using sunscreen.

I totally agree with you about knowing your own skin.  I didn't seek out this product and didn't purchase it.  I'm so mindful about what I put on my skin and mindful that the foods I eat nourish my skin too. No a pleasant lesson but a learning one nether the less.

I'm using Aloe Vera, that a taken from a plant that I have here at home, I'm bathing it in calendula/marigold infusion and moisturising the skin around it with organic coconut oil... 

Thanks @WinglessOne 

@TexturesLB  Ah. Yeah, anytime you see "glycolic" in the name of a skincare product, chances are it's an AHA exfoliant. If you're in the US, the product should also have a sunburn warning somewhere on the label (usually on the back of either the bottle/tube/jar or the box it came in); the FDA wants companies to warn customers about AHAs making skin more sensitive to UV damage. We should all wear broad spectrum sunscreen (at least SPF 30) daily anyway, all year long, but especially if an AHA product is in our skincare routines. Sounds like AHA + sun exposure caused your bad reaction. 😞 Could also have been overuse of the product: it's very easy to over-exfoliate skin with glycolic acid, even at low strength. I advise folks to use AHA exfoliants just 1-3 times a week, and never twice on the same day. I know some brands claim you can use their AHA exfoliants daily, and I wish they'd stop. 

Aloe vera's a good way to soothe painful irritation. 👍 When my skin barrier breaks (via over-exfoliation or other irritation), I use a very gentle cream cleanser or cleansing balm and apply a thick petrolatum-based balm (Aquaphor Ointment, CeraVe Healing Ointment, plain ol' Vaseline, etc.) as a moisturizer while the skin's still damp. Petrolatum's the most occlusive (water-loss preventing) skincare product available, aside from hydrocolloid or silicone patches. It locks in hydration and promotes skin healing. 

About makeup with SPF: don't rely on an SPF foundation (be it cream, liquid, or powder) to act as your sole UV protection, unless you apply the generous amount needed for adequate protection. Tinted moisturizers like NARS Tinted Moisturizer can be effective, as long as you apply enough of it. There's no such thing as "a little goes a long way" with sunscreen, and it's better to over-apply than under-apply. Chances are the amount of SPF foundation needed for UV protection would be way too much coverage for your face—a layer so heavy, you wouldn't be able to blend it out. Always apply a separate broad spectrum sunscreen under foundation. It can be any type of sunscreen (chemical, mineral, or hybrid) since they all work largely the same way; one type's not necessarily better or safer than the others. The best sunscreen is the one you'll actually use daily, regardless of weather or season. Sounds like you've got a sunscreen now, hooray! Slather that stuff on all exposed skin (eyelids, ears, behind ears, hairline, nape of neck if exposed, etc.) and reapply every couple hours—more frequently if you sweat a lot or your skin gets wet. 

I hope your skin heals up soon! 

@WinglessOne Thank you so much for your kindness, your advice is invaluable. A lesson learnt, that's for sure!

Again, thanks for your time and your detailed response, please know its genuinely appreciated. 

@TexturesLB Hi there, I've been using this product for years and have very sensitive skin without running into any issues. I'm so sorry that you had a bad experience and hope that your skin heals up ASAP. However, it really sounds like you should permanently discontinue usage especially if it caused that severe of a reaction. Skin is different and what may work for you will not work for someone else. What can be seen as an optimal product on myself can cause a reaction to someone else based on the sensitivity, type and tolerance of their skin-which is unique to everyone. When you encounter a product that is causing any kind of painful or overly uncomfortable reaction (unless it's something intended to do so-like a professionally administered chemical peel), the product should be discontinued. I've run into similar issues with other products and I would recommend sticking to very neutral, fragrance-free and gentle products until your skin heals up a bit from it's reaction. The Drunk Elephant T.L.C. Framboos™ Glycolic Resurfacing Night Serum does come with 10% AHA which is considered a pretty high level and I assume it very well may be too strong for your skin especially if this is the first AHA product that you have ever applied. This product is too strong for several people in my life however no one I know has run into reactions similar to yours, the most common reaction I have heard of from this product is burning during use and varying levels of redness. 

@QueenMarceline thanks for taking the time to respond and yes I agree, all skin is different.  However I've used many brands and never much encountered even a breakout of spots etc... As you advised, I discontinued use immediately and only use clean (to the best of my knowledge) skincare and beauty products.  Again, I appreciate your input.

6 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 13 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing