Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

HELP! Too much of a good thing?

Hello! I have recently been watching (probably too much) skin care videos on YouTube.  I have acne prone, oily skin with redness.  After I splurged on a bunch of highly recommended products I realized that they may not play well together.  My main concerns are that I may end up over exfoliating and that I may have too many products with salicylic acid.  Some are leave on and some are wash off...I don't know if that matters.

Product #1: The INKEY List Salicylic Acid Cleanser 5 oz / 150 ml )

Product #2: Paula's Choice 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant

Product #3:  REN Clean Skincare Ready Steady Glow Daily AHA Tonic 

Product #4: philosophy Purity Made Simple Pore Extractor Mask (2x week)

I have not started using these products yet and just want to make sure I will not damage my skin...

Thanks everybody!  My skin appreciates your feedback!

Re: HELP! Too much of a good thing?

Yeah, that's a lot of exfoliation @EricaBerica33. What about moisturizer and sunscreen? I would advise getting those in place before embarking on any exfoliation so that you can keep your skin from getting irritated or damaged. Given your skin type and concerns, I'd hold off on introducing some of these for now. How much exfoliation to use can be really dependent on your own skin's ability to handle it but since it's new, you'll want to start slowly. I would try to pick up a gentle cleanser (not containing actives like salicylic acid) for use most nights. Once you have your base routine of gentle cleanser, moisturizer, and sunscreen set, you can work in one of the SA products- either use the Inkey List cleanser in place of the gentle cleanser 3x a week OR use the Paula's Choice BHA after your gentle cleanser 3x a week. I would NOT recommend using both. And I'd keep the Ren toner on the sidelines for now until you've had a chance to use BHA and see how it works for you. I would choose one night a week to use the pore extractor but wouldn't recommend using it on the same night as your SA product. 

Thanks so much for the reply!  Right now I am using The Ordinary Squalane Cleanser, Vichy 89 serum and Vichy Aqualia Thermal Light. So those bases are covered...these new products are meant to kick my skincare routine up a notch.  I will be going to Sephora next week to scout out sunscreens! Do you have any suggestions? 

As you suggested I will put the REN toner on the back burner and only use my mask once a week.   Thanks a lot!

@EricaBerica33 Good, it looks like you've got a good start going then. As far as sunscreen,  a couple of my favorites are MDSolarSciences Mineral Crème Broad Spectrum SPF 50 UVA-UVB Sunscreen 4 oz/ 113 g, Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen Invisible Broad Spectrum SPF 40 PA +++, and COOLA Mineral Sun Silk Crème SPF 30 1.5 oz/ 44 mL. If it's still available, Sephora did just release their sunscreen favorites set which has bunch of trial sizes to check out- Sephora Favorites Sun Safety Kit 

Thanks a bunch! I really really appreciate the recommendations 😀

Hey hey!

@EricaBerica33 

Education is always a good thing!  So that's great you're watching vids.  I would suggest going slow and add in products in a singular fashion overtime.  Don't exfoliate too frequently, as salicylic acid (I believe) is an exfoliator.  You want to limit exfoliators to 2x week generally.

Spot testing is helpful.  Pick a spot &  gradually work a product into your routine.  You can see if you're responding well or poorly and perhaps save yourself some hardship.  I would suggest working in things weekly.

Also, make sure you have a good moisturizer and always incorporate your SPF, especially when you are using acids.

Thank you! I have a good good moisturizer in my routine already but I must admit my sunscreen game is weak!  I'm a homebody, but I also want to set a good example for my kiddos so I will be adding a sunscreen! 😀

6 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 8 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing