Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

HELP! Bad reaction to Biossance Squalane + Phyto Retinol Serum

Hi Everyone! First time posting here. I just purchased Biossance’s Squalane Phyto Retinol Serum and after one use (overnight), I woke up with a terrible reaction. My face/eyes/mouth were swollen, red and burning. It progressively got worse and now on day 2, my face is still swollen and I’ve now broken out  with whiteheads ALL over the place. It’s burning and painful. This serum is the only change I made in my skincare regimen, and I generally do not have very sensitive skin. This is the first time I have ever experienced a reaction, and I have used retinol before without any issues. 

Please help! How do I fix this? What can I do to treat it? Thank you in advance!! I really appreciate your help!!

Re: RE: HELP! Bad reaction to Biossance Squalane + Phyto Retinol Serum

I had the same reaction to the Biossance sunscreen. I was in the market for a new sunscreen after all of the drama around korean sunscreens not being the marketed SPF. I've been using Biossance sunscreen for the last 4 months. I've been having what seemed like random allergic reactions with itchy/burning hives spreading across my face and neck. At first, I associated it with foods I ate but it would be inconsistent.... I got bloodwork done and went to an allergist and got a panel to test for 60 different things I could be allergic to.... came back with nothing. The allergist put me on Zyrtec twice a day bc they were stumped as well. I would still get hives randomly every couple days to a couple weeks spread out. My most recent flareup was a couple days ago.

I racked my brain to try to think of what it could be and realized this started when I started using the Biossance sunscreen. I alternate between this sunscreen, a BB cream with SPF, and a sport/waterproof sunscreen everyday. After reflecting back , this only seemed to occur when I used the Biossance sunscreen. The reason why I couldn't put it together sooner was because I wouldn't get hives right away, but I would get it 4-5 hours after application and exposure to the sun. Apparently there's something called photocontact dermatitis where you experience an interaction between sun exposure and certain ingredients in sunscreen that causes the skin to react and become irritated.

The last couple of occurrences have been bad where I also get blisters on my face. It's been extremely painful. My skin has also gone haywire and I am not dry and breaking out. I just really hope my skin recovers from this. It's crazy to see so many other people who have had similar reactions to Biossance products.

I'm not sure what the ingredient I am having reactions to but I can say I won't be using ANY Biossance products going forward.

@chrisybeebee I'm so glad to have found your post. I broke out overnight in rashes on my face and neck, which I believe might be due to the Biossance sunscreen. I had to take a sick day today as it has gotten worse and I can barely open my eyes, ugh. I  had been using the same sunscreen for months with no issues at all. I know allergies can develop at any time but this doesn't make any sense, especially for a supposedly safer physical sunscreen. This is the second time it happened, the first I thought was due to my heat intolerance exacerbated by all the mask-wearing - though my heat allergy would usually cause rashes on my body instead of my face. 

I also noticed it seems to get worse with sun exposure, since I don't get any immediate symptoms when I first apply it at home. I double layer this Biossance sunscreen with Dr. Dennis Gross Dark Spot Sun Defense on top. The only new item I've used both times this happened was the Thrive Lash Extensions mascara, which I initially suspected though still haven't ruled out since there are apparently allergic reactions associated with it as well. I have sensitive skin but never had this type of horrid reaction to a product  (even the ones I know containing triggers for me, like avobenzone). I can sense its onset when I feel some tightening, swelling and itchiness, and areas of my face start to burn and get red. I absolutely hate this but hope it also helps someone going through the same.

I plan to see an allergist who can hopefully confirm which ingredient(s) to stay away from as it certainly would help to know, for sanity's sake if nothing else.   

It burned my face. I am on antibiotics orally and topically. It’s been 4  days and it’s still a major issue.

Very scary!

Oh no I hope your skin is better. I’m experiencing the same thing atm..

Re: HELP! Bad reaction to Biossance Squalane + Phyto Retinol Serum

Used the clean skincare certified sample bag from Sephora. Each day I tried a new product. Tried the biossance on a Saturday night, throughout the night the sides of my cheeks were itchy. I woke up to a very swollen and tight face. Sunday I took Benadryl and the swelling subsided a little and was not as itchy. Monday morning I woke up to still swelling and tiny pus white heads everywhere similar to fire-ant bites and the itchiness moved down to my neck and my skin is starting to peel. Something in the product needs further testing I have never reacted to a product like this before. 

This is happening to me right now!! I used this serum in my night time skincare routine last night and I woke up with swollen eyes and face.  My face is hot to the touch and super red and inflamed.  I have no idea what to do, this is still day one.  I’m scared.  I don’t recommend this product at ALL! I don’t have sensitive skin or anything but this definitely hit me like a truck! STAY AWAY.

I've had a similar problem but not as extreme. The first time I used this product it was fine but the second time my face was red, felt hot to touch, and has an almost gritty texture now. It's day three for me and I have noticed a lot of dryness and whiteheads on my chin (where I'm prone to hormonal acne) but no where else. I've simplified my skincare routine (I usually do 10 steps) to just the double cleanse which I feel the oil kind of helps but might just be me, a toner to help even out the texture, and moisturizer. As much as I hate the whiteheads I've been avoiding anything too harsh such as acne creams.

No matter where I look I could not find any answers to this issue but it seems like it is pretty common. Hopefully your issue has been resolved so this is mostly for people who experience this and don't know where to turn. I'm still waiting for my skin texture to return to normal but at least my face isn't red anymore. 

Hello! Im having the exact same issues with these products as you were. Not as extreme as some of these other posts but spot on with the first time being fine and then following with the heat, itchiness and the gritty texture!! Did you stop using them all together or were you able to pinpoint which product it was? I bought a few different ones and I and LOVE the way some of them smell and feel. I'd hate to waste them all if it's just the one thing. I've also had zero experience with retinol or squalane products before so it probably wasnt even a smart buy for me 🙄

@kimberlyP99 I would probably consult a doctor if your eyes and mouth are swollen.. 

Oh, gosh, that sounds terrible, @kimberlyP99! I'm sorry you're having a negative reaction. With what you've said, I would probably pop a Benadryl and scale back my routine to a very gentle cream cleanser and aloe until the redness and swelling subside. And definitely discontinue use of the Bioessence serum! I hope it clears up for you quickly!

Thank you for the advice! The swelli

ghas subsided, but I’m left with a ton of whiteheads covering my face! Ugh. They’re horrible. Not sure what to do with them! Use acne meds, pop them, moisturize, etc...

Hopefully this will all go away soon!!

@kimberlyP99 hi I have just used the serum without looking at the bad reviews and now my eyes are swollen and face felt tight and a bit swollen as well with tiny little pimples or whiteheads

how did you end up clearing your face? Did you have to see a doctor or ? Thanks !!

I’m sorry you’re dealing with this. It’s so awful. I washed and moisturizer my face with very clean products with oatmeal in them. I didn’t use makeup either. Eventually it went away. It was the longest and most itchy 5-7 days of my life. Try not to pop them so you’re not left with scars! Unfortunately the only thing that works is patience 🙁 it’s really awful.

Hi, Could i know which mild products you are using for removing the whiteheads? you've mentioned products w/ oatmeals do you have the brand that i can look into? because i'm having the swollen and the tiny little pimples and whiteheads all over my face. I have just used it once.....

Hi there, I’m sorry I’m just seeing your message now. I used First Aid Brauty, Aveeno and Eucerin. I hope it’s better!

Conversation Stats
Photos3
  • B072B80A-CFC9-4F6D-BACA-4F2C2A6B56F3.jpeg
  • 02431381-1B4B-4536-A2E3-027C66A7EA70.png
  • IMG_5415.jpeg
testing