Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Good sunscreen with high spf for face?

I'm going on vacation to the beach and I need a non greasy, high SPF sunscreen to be used for face and shoulders. Any suggestions?

Re: Good sunscreen with high spf for face?

Shiseido's Face and Body Sunscreen SPF 50+.

http://www.sephora.com/ultimate-sun-protection-lotion-broad-spectrum-spf-50-for-face-body-P173670

I worship this product and rave about this. I am a huge sunscreen fan because my face is very sensitive to UV rays and I'm prone to dark sunspots on my face.  This product goes on very light but I have not had a single sunburn or new sunspot on my face. 

Whether or not you go with this, you can rub and blend sunscreen into your moisturizer in the mornings to reduce the "greasy" feel.  This also reduces that "white" film that may be left over by some products.  I used to do this all the time but since I started using Shiseido sunscreens, I started to apply a layer after my moisturizer.  I feel like this sunscreen actually reduces oil and leaves my face looking matte.

This stuff is expensive but a little goes a long way.  I applied this stuff in my daily routine and it lasted 6-8 months.  I don't think you'll be using it daily, but that will give you an idea how long it will last.  Shiseido finally came out with a lower SPF sunscreen for daily and urban use which I'm now using every day.  I save the blue bottle for my beach days or when I am on vacation.

For me, I think sunscreen is worth the splurge because of my skin type and skin cancer/anti-aging prevention.  But if you feel like you don't want to invest too much, my favorite drugstore product is the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch sunscreen.  It is also effective without the "greasy" feel.  It's not as smooth as Shiseido, but it is also a good value.

Also, I would recommend a separate sunscreen for your shoulders.  Most cosmetic brands are too expensive to be applying to your entire body.

I wear a ton of sunscreen (like reapply 3 times a day when I'm out) and I second the Kate summerville protect for everyday use (not greasy or white at all but doesn't say water resistant and not great if sweating a lot). Also second La Roche Posay - I'm in the sunscreen field and we all love this stuff - the spray is great too for the body.

Finally for exercise I really like Shisheido ultra protection Face cream - it doesn't budge when I do a 20k run in the heat and doesn't get in my eyes, but it's a bit white looking on.

I don't know if you should look for a high SPF sunblock. I read a CNN expose (http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/16/health/sunscreen-report) that said that high SPF sunblocks dont give you much more protection than an SPF 30 sunblock but cost way more. If I were you, I would go for an organic sunscreen for the face. it will probably cost the same and that way you dont have to worry about chemicals. I like MoreNature's organic sunscreen for the face myself. Not greasy and works great! (http://www.morenature.com/organic-biodegradable-natural-sunscreen.html)

A sunblock is better than a sunscreen, because sunscreens...

A sunblock is better than a sunscreen, because sunscreens contain chemicals that can be sensitizing or irritating.  Most professionals agree with this now.  Also SPF 30 is enough coverage, just be sure to reapply if you are out all day or exercising/swimming.  One of the best I know of is PUR Botanicals Skin Care Advanced Protection SPF30, which contains zinc oxide and titanium dioxide and will protect your skin from BOTH UVA and UVB rays!

I love LaRoche-Posay Anthelios 60 Ultra Light Sunscreen L...

I love LaRoche-Posay Anthelios 60 Ultra Light Sunscreen Liquid, it gives great protection, is non-greasy and doesn't cause skin breakouts. I work outside a lot and it keeps my pale skin from burning and freckling!

For a less expensive alternative, I like Coppertone Sport SPF 50 for Faces (doesn't cause eye stinging if you perspire) and the SPF 50 body for other places (body formulation will sting eyes if you get it in them). Also don't forget a good high SPF for your lips, the thin skin there can burn and peel if you aren't careful. Coppertone makes a stick form SPF50 for lips or if you want a little color, LipSmackers SPF 24 is a great, tasty alternative and is one of the least expensive SPF lip balms around.

ran8 is right, sunscreen has to be applied every 2 hours if you don't get wet or towel off. More often if you do. Apply a shot glass worth of sunscreen all over your body to give adequate protection. A tube of sunscreen should last about a week if you are doing it right!

Hope this helps!

Hi, sarah.  One of the best sunscreens for combination or...

Hi, sarah.  One of the best sunscreens for combination or oily, sensitive skin sold at Sephora (in my opinion) is Kate Somerville Protect SPF 55 Serum Sunscreen which is a quick-absorbing, oil free formula that delivers powerful UV protection with its SPF 55.  It is a mild, water-resistant sunscreen that includes broad-spectrum, UVA/UVB sun protection without any white residue, greasiness or stickiness. This complexion care essential offers a rich dose of antioxidants for further protection against damage and premature aging.  This sunscreen is paraben-free and is ideal for daily use for all skin types, including oily and problematic skin.  You can find it here:  http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P238608&categoryId=B70

A wonderful, inexpensive (under $15) sunscreen that Sephora does not carry, but works perfectly under makeup and is great for sensitive skin is Neutrogena Pure & Free Liquid Daily Sunblock SPF 50.  It is 100% naturally sourced, plus it’s waterproof and sweat-proof and has the consistency of water so it absorbs very quickly and leaves no greasy residue.  It gives you an even, non-shiny finish and works so great under my makeup that I can't tell that I'm even wearing a sunscreen.  It is perfect for sensitive skin because it is PABA-free, fragrance-free, dye-free, oil-free and is free of irritating chemical ingredients.  It is also hypoallergenic.  You can purchase it anywhere that Neutrogena products are sold (Ulta, Wal-Mart, Target, etc.).

Hope this helps and have a great day!
tenngal 🙂

Re: Hi, sarah.  One of the best sunscreens for combination or...

Joining in on the Neutrogena love. I was using Boscia's Antioxidant Self Defense SPF 30 for my face -- another lovely moisturizer -- but had to cut back on expenses, and switched to Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch SPF 30. It truly is dry to the touch, none of that sunblock greasiness. I wouldn't recommend it if you're sensitive to silicones -- the formula is pretty high on them -- but I like that it also allows me to skip primer. I'm in a humid climate, so the fewer skincare layers in summer, the better!

Re: Hi, sarah.  One of the best sunscreens for combination or...

I agree with tenngal!!, neutrogena has some really great sunscreens at very low prices.

The best non-greasy, effective and skin-friendly sunscree...

The best non-greasy, effective and skin-friendly sunscreen I know of is Clarin's "UV Plus Day Screen High Protection SPF 40" (Sephora Product Page) This is an entirely natural, mineral-based screen that provides a high level of protection from both pollution and UV radiation. It contains mineral sunscreens, which provide broad protection from both UVA and UVB radiation without feeling greasy at all. These all-natural ingredients contain no chemical sunscreens and are great for all skin types, even the most sensitive skins. And just to give you an idea of how effective it is: I'm extremely fair-skinned and sunburn really easily, but after one application of this on my face, neck and shoulders, my skin is protected all day. I hope all this helps! Smiley Happy

Re: The best non-greasy, effective and skin-friendly sunscree...

Protected all day? There is no such thing as an all day sunscreen. Like the product recommendation but it is wise to apply around every two hours. Even sooner when doing water activities.
1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 15 Hearts Given
  • 11 Contributors
testing