Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Good child friendly skin care routine

okay so recently I started a whole brand new skin care routine, like from scratch and my daughter (9 years old) has been loving doing it nightly with me. Love the mother daughter bond this creates but she really doesn't need to use my 80 dollar moisturizer and 70 dollar essences! (I read all the ingredients so she's not using harsh Acids) but she has some texture around her nose she's very conscious about. I think it would be awesome if she had her own skin care stash.  What kit should I buy for her? she's been loving the Belif cleanser and moisturizer we got as a sample but is there anything else out there gentle but effective? 

Re: Good child friendly skin care routine

Honestly I just use cera ve for most of my skincare. make sure to learn about her skin and stuff before using products because it might damage her skin (also yours if you needed some recommendations too).

First of all, love that! 🤗 And I’m sure your daughter will thank you years down the line for educating her and getting her started with a skincare routine young. I have a sister who is 10 years younger than me, and I helped her develop a skincare routine after she started worrying about blackheads around her nose and general bumpy texture/clogged pores around 9 or 10. The thing with younger kids is getting them products they enjoy enough to consistently use so they can get the results they want, but yes, definitely also making sure the products are gentle and affordable. A simple routine with minimal steps and the basics like a cleanser, moisturizer, and sunscreen is more than enough. But if they like the extra steps of toners, serums, masks, etc I think it’s fine to nurture that interest!

As far as your concern with acids, I feel like as long as the acids are present in smaller concentrations (in products like toners), and as long as they are beginner-friendly (I.e. salicylic, lactic, hyaluronic) and you continue doing your routines together for a bit to make sure she’s applying them correctly, it should be okay. The only other thing I would mention is chemical exfoliants, in gentle and minimal amounts in the formulation, are probably better to give her than any sort of scrub, pad, or pore strip. Again, provided you supervise her at first to make sure she understands how and when to exfoliate! May be a controversial opinion, but...Left to my own devices with those Stridex acne pads back in highschool, I scrubbed wayyy too hard trying to remove blackheads (that weren’t even really blackheads, just sebaceous filaments on my nose that would have totally cleared up with a bit of BHA) and did even worse damage to my skin.

Anyways, on to the recommendations!

Products available through Sephora:

Spoiler

If you both already have had good experiences with Belif products, there’s the belif Hydration Always With You Set and the belif Dive Into Hydration Aqua Bomb Set . Both kits are almost the same except for that the Hydration Always With You Set comes with the zipper carrying pouch with the cute whale and hippo print, and the Aqua Bomb Sleeping Mask in addition to the cream, cleansing balm, toner, and eye cream present in the other kit. In the Dive Into Hydration Aqua Bomb Set, the cream and cleansing balm are bigger sizes, though.
Another idea to address the texture around her nose that you could look into later down the line as a birthday present or something is belif Pore Cleaner Bubble Foam 3.38 oz/ 100 mL #. It’s a product that can be used as a wash-off mask or a daily cleanser that bubbles up and helps with clogged pores. It has powerful enough ingredients like eucalyptus and tea tree, tempered by soothing ingredients like calendula and oat. Might be a fun treat and just wanted to mention it since it’s also by Belif!

Other kits to look into from well-loved brands that have cute packaging as well as gentle but effective ingredients and that are also available through Sephora are Glow Recipe Fruit Babies Bestsellers Kit  , LANEIGE Hydration-To-Go! Combination to Oily Skin or LANEIGE Round the Clock Water Bank Hydration Set , and fresh Rose Deep Hydration Skincare Gift Set . 

The Inkey List and The Ordinary are very affordable and are personal favorites of mine, but the kits they have available might be too concerned with undereye aging prevention and retinol resurfacing, or the packaging might not appeal to a 9 year old girl, lol. 

Products/brands available through Ulta:

Spoiler
I don’t want to overwhelm you with too many suggestions, so I’ll just throw out some brands that have particularly good basics like cleansers and moisturizers, or that have good sample/starter/gift sets. Just search the brand name and “kit” or “set” on Ulta. :•) CeraVe (you really can’t go wrong with any of their cleansers and/or moisturizers), e.l.f. (Specifically the Holy Hydration line, might work as a drugstore dupe for Belif), Beekman 1802 (a little pricy but they offer kits and are gentle and cute), Kinship (kits, heard lots of good things), CosRx (specifically their snail line), Too Cool For School (egg line). 

Sunscreen is important, but I don’t know if your daughter is concerned with aesthetics enough to care about white cast and such. I can definitely vouch for the Supergoop products I’ve tried so far, which is everything in the Supergoop! SPF From Head-to-Toe Kit . If you wanted to give her the Supergoop! PLAY Everyday Lotion SPF 50  to try and keep the Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen Invisible Broad Spectrum SPF 40 PA +++ and the Supergoop! Defense Refresh (Re)setting Mist SPF 40 3.4 oz/ 100 mL for yourself, that could work. Otherwise the Supergoop! Ready.Set.Play! Kit is another good option for testers.

Hi @7denise357 It's so nice that you both are doing this together.  For someone so young I'd suggest sticking to a light cleanser, (my dermatologist always recommends a cetaphil or cereve cleanser) followed by an SPF during the day and a light moisturizer in the evening.  Again, cetaphil or cereve would be good choices.  If she's really looking to add more steps to her routine like mom, you could add some water to your clean empties, or to some travel bottles for her to use along side you.  I strongly urge you to check with your dermatologist if you'd like to get her going with anything stronger.

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 7 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing