Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Good Moisturizers?

I'm looking for a good moisturizer (day and night) and I'm not sure what to use with the products/ingredients I'm using now.

These are the products I'm currently using:

OLEHENRIKSEN Balancing Force™ Oil Control Toner 6.5 oz/ 193 mL 

The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% Oil Control Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL 

Sunday Riley U.F.O. Salicylic Acid BHA Acne Treatment Face Oil 1.18 oz/ 35 mL  (has salicylic acid)

Youth To The People Superfood Air-Whip Lightweight Face Moisturizer with Hyaluronic Acid 2 oz / 59 m...  (morning)

Youth To The People Adaptogen Deep Moisturizing Cream with Ashwagandha + Reishi 2 oz/ 60 mL  (night)

I'm 25 years old and have oily, acne prone skin with pores and blackheads.  The first 3 products are pretty drying so I'm not sure what kind of moisturizer is best.  What ingredients should I avoid based on what I'm using?

Re: Good Moisturizers?

@RAWRitsRED  Are you looking for a new moisturizer to replace the 2 YTTP moisturizers you're currently using? 

If your skin feels dry before you apply any moisturizer, you need to add some hydration to your skin before the moisturizer. A moisturizer's main job is not to hydrate skin. It's supposed to seal in whatever hydration is on your skin—basically, a moisturizer should prevent moisture/hydration loss. If you apply moisturizer directly to skin that feels quite dry, you'll just seal in the dryness. 

You may need to add a hydrator to your routine. There's hyaluronic acid in the YTTP Superfood moisturizer (I use that one, too), but you really want to get more of that humectant ingredient on your face before you apply a moisturizer. Try getting your face damp with plain ol' water or maybe a hydrating mist (there are plenty out there; actually, YTTP makes a good one, not sure if you've tried it: Youth To The People Adaptogen Soothe + Hydrate Activated Mist with Peptides 4 oz/ 118 mL ). Then apply a serum that contains a good amount of hyaluronic acid. One of my favorites is The Ordinary "Buffet" 1 oz/ 30 mL . I'm told The Ordinary Marine Hyaluronics 1 oz/ 30 mL is a good choice (I don't use that one), and various brands make "hydrating" serums like The INKEY List Hyaluronic Acid (HA) Hydrating Face Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL (if it's even in stock right now), First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair® Hydrating Serum , Indeed Labs Hyaluron (available at Ulta), etc. You can apply a moisturizer over serums like those. 

That Olehenriksen toner contains a few things that can irritate skin and make it feel drier, especially with frequent use: witch hazel, peppermint oil, eucalyptus oil, and I see a fragrance item (limonene) which might not be so terrible in last place on the ingredients list, but combined with those other things... hmm. Also, I don't know what % of AHA is in that toner. (I always assume the BHA % is 2 or less.) I mean, keep using it if it's working well for you. My skin would throw a flaky dry patch tantrum over that toner. 

Also, how frequently do you use UFO? It contains just 1.5% BHA, but I wonder if that plus whatever % is in the OLE toner (as well as the AHA % in the toner) is drying out your skin. 

@WinglessOne 

Thanks for the helpful info!

I'm not to use all 3 products (UFO, toner, and The Ordinary) all at once.  I use toner and The Ordinary in the morning and toner and UFO at night.  They seem to work well in keeping my face oil free with makeup on but feels dry when I wake up in the morning.

@RAWRitsRED Niacinamide isn't normally that drying, it should only be controlling your sebum production. It can happen that your skin is actually dry and overproduces sebum to compensate for it so you think you have oily skin but really its SO dry. It might be something to look into since that would also change the type of moisturizer you would want. 

Regardless echoing what @WinglessOne a great hydrating toner/essence is probably a good thing to add as a layer under your PM moisturizer. Other options 

Hope that helps 

@meou 

Even my thicker moisturizers feel like it's not doing much so maybe my skin is dry and over producing oils.  I'll look into the products you mentioned!

@RAWRitsRED Your moisturizer is there to trap in all the good stuff from your other products so a thicker moisturizer might not have the desired effect if you don't have the hydration already to hold in. 

Good Luck! 

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 9 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing