Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Feels tight, looks oily!

I use great products (Skinceuticals wash, C serum, LHA solution, moisturizer), but winter has me all out of sorts! My normally combo (but under control) skin is currently broken out, tight AF, and greasy on top. I’m due for new products, so open to suggestions on some new brands/routine. I’m in my late 30s, so wrinkles are on my mind, too 😞

Re: Feels tight, looks oily!

@Nikole00 You’re definitely dehydrated. I’m 38 and used to have oily/dehydrated skin. You have a great routine but since you’re almost out, switching is good so your skin doesn’t plateau. I switch between Sunday Riley and Drunk Elephant as a base and add other products accordingly. 

The one one addition I suggest is an essence. This will help hydrate your skin properly. This is what I would do:

Clease with a GENTLE wash. I double cleanse at night after makeup with CLINIQUE Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm Makeup Remover 3.8 oz/ 125 mLand either Pyunkang Yul Cleanser or Jordan samuel’s aftershow. Both are so gentle and non-stripping. 

Essence. I use 3. SK-II Anti-Aging Facial Treatment Essence 5.4 oz/ 160 mL, Pyungkang Yul Essence Toner Mist and AMOREPACIFIC - Vintage Single Extract Essence. This step is what hydrated my skin perfectly. SK-II immediately after cleansing, spritz on PY, press it into my skin and repeat once more, then add a layer of Amore Pacific. It’s a bit much, but it works. It also preps my skin to absorb all other products I use.

I follow with DRUNK ELEPHANT - A-Passioni™ Retinol Cream(Holy Moly, this stuff is AMAZING!!!) DRUNK ELEPHANT - C-Firma™ Day Serum, my extensive undereye routine and top it all off with Drunk Elephant Protini™ Polypeptide Firming Refillable Moisturizer 1.69 oz/ 50 mLand SPF. 

I work nights so my daytime routine is longer but has given my skin the best results thus far. I do tone with either Lotion P50 or tarte Knockout Tingle Treatment Toner 5 oz/ 150 mLat night but stopped during the day since I found Passioni. I’ve tried soooo many products and these are what have become my Holy Grails. I definitely do believe adding an essence will truly change your skin for the better. I wish I knew about that stuff at 25! Lol. I’m 38 now and my skin is the best it’s ever been❤️

@darlyndar are you still using tlc or good genes at night following Lotion P50? I bought LotionP50 online yesterday because it's been talked about too much for me to not try haha but I was planning on alternating it at night with my TLC 

I sure do, @Kim888! DRUNK ELEPHANT - T.L.C. Framboos™ Glycolic Night Serum and DRUNK ELEPHANT - A-Passioni™ Retinol Creamduring the day. I recently saw my Derm to take off a mole that came out of nowhere and told her my regimen. She told me...and I quote, ”You know your skin better than anyone. If you see results, keep doing what you’re doing. From what you told me and from what I see, you’re getting amazing results”. I was wondering if I was doing too much. I have had absolutely zero irritation, burning or redness and Holy Moly...my skin is gooooooooood. Lol

Thanks @darlyndar ill try that then and if I start getting Too dry I’ll drop down to every other day 

@Nikole00 Your skin sounds dehydrated. Even if you are using great products, they might not be great for your own skin because everyone's skin is different. It may also be just the simple fact your skin is changing with age, so you need to switch up your products. I'm not familiar with the Skinceuticals line, so I can't speak to their effectiveness for me personally, but I think the best thing for you is find balance in your skin again. Do you find certain types of products cause sensitivity? Do you use a physical exfoliator? When skin gets unhappy, you need to scale things back to basics then build up again.

I think you would benefit from some oil in your skin care, starting with the cleanser. A gentle oil based cleanser will break up dirt, grime, makeup, etc without stripping or irritating your skin, and is the first step in hydration. I love L'Occitane Shea Cleansing Oil 6.7 oz/ 200 mL . Using a good oil also halts sebum production because your skin is getting it from the products you're using. Even if a cleanser doesn't have specific ingredients meant to target aging, an oil based one will plump skin which in turn smooths out wrinkles and fine lines. 

After cleansing, a few times a week or as tolerated, I'd recommend checking out PETER THOMAS ROTH - Un-Wrinkle Peel Pads.These are a great all in one problem skin tackler. The chemical exfoliation will help resurface skin keeping it bright and fresh, as well as help prevent future breakouts. Once a week, I use PHILOSOPHY - The Microdelivery Resurfacing Peel . This is a deeper treatment that will give a physical exfoliation in addition to a chemical one, with the brightening of vitamin c. 

Two Vitamin C serums I like are Caudalie VineActiv Vitamin C Anti-Wrinkle Serum 1 oz/ 30 mLand OLEHENRIKSEN - Truth Serum®. 

To moisturize, I use Josie Maran's line. Its argan oil based so you're again getting the hydrating benefits of a good oil. Because SPF is super important, I use JOSIE MARAN - Argan Daily Moisturizer SPF 47, and I seal everything in with her 100% Argan Oil. 

Getting your skin balanced will help with the appearance of oiliness and the breakouts, as well as gently fight the signs of aging. Sometimes people approach skin care too harsh and it does more damage than good. Bonus points - drink a lot of water!

5 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing